Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern

Hopefully you’ve been following along with my kitchen series this month and have been enjoying the washcloth patterns so far. If you missed any, you can click here to see all the patterns or you can go directly to a particular pattern through the links below.

wm6-15-2-13

From left to right: Textured Dishcloth, Seeing Squares DishclothCrunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Three Color Simple Stitch Dishcloth.

This week  I wanted to share something a little different … Remember my Tunisian washcloths? Well, here they sit proudly on my counter. They make my happy every time I look at them.

Tunisian Washcloths

Well, I thought they needed some company and made up this coordinating mat to use as a dish drying mat. I just love using handmade things! Hope you enjoy it too.

Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern

Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern

• worsted weight cotton yarn
  • J Tunisian hook
  • tapestry needle

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Tunisian Abbreviations:

Tss – Tunisian simple stitch

Tps – Tunisian purl stitch

Tunisian cross stitch pattern from The New Tunisian Crochet by Dora Ohrenstein.

Finished mat measures approximately 16 in × 17 in.

Notes: Work basic return pass throughout. When working your forward pass, the loop on your hook counts as the first stitch. So when the pattern indicates to work 5 TSS, the first is already on your hook; pull up a loop in the next 4 stitches to complete the 5 TSS indicated.

Ch 46.

Rows 1–6: Work Tss in each st across — 46 sts.

Row 7: Work 5 Tss, *sk next vertical bar, pull up a loop in next vertical bar, pull up a loop in skipped vertical bar (cross st made), 2 Tps, rep from * until last 5 sts, work 5 Tss — 46 sts.

Row 8: Work 5 Tss, *2 Tps, sk next vertical bar, pull up a loop in next vertical bar, pull up a loop in skipped vertical bar (cross st made), rep from * until last 5 sts, work 5 Tss — 46 sts.

Rows 940: Repeat rows 7 and 8 for pattern.

Rows 4146: Work Tss in each st across, return pass — 46 sts.

Do not fasten off.

Border

Round 1: Ch 1, work a sc border around piece by working 1 sc at the end of each row and in each st and 3sc in each corner, join.

Rounds 2–3: rep round 1.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern

Click here to see more kitchen patterns.

If you are interested in purchasing Tunisian crochet supplies, you can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

, , ,

36 Responses to Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern

1. priscilla July 30, 2013 at 7:43 am #

Thanks so much for all the patterns , Love crocheted dishcloths ! I haven’t tried Tunisian crochet but your mat is beautiful !

• Kara July 30, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Thanks Priscilla!

2. Marilyn July 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Kara, this pattern is awesome. I definitely need to learn this new crocheting technique. Do you have any tutorials on your blog?

• Kara July 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

No, I don’t. I’m sure there are some online though. I really love Tunisian!

3. prayermama July 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

I m going to try this this afternoon! love it and i use a drying mat (ok a kitchen towel as a drying mat!) everyday.
    thanks!!

• Kara July 30, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I use it everyday … Except when it’s in the wash. Hope you like it too!

• prayermama August 2, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

I finished it and will try to post a pic – haven’t posted much myself but love looking at everyones photos of their beautiful work!
        i love the size of this dish mat and i am thinking of making one a little larger for a friend that cooks a lot (and still has three men to feed in her home!)
        Thanks so much for all your patterns!!

4. Elisabeth Andree July 31, 2013 at 4:49 am #

Lovely pattern, Kara. Yesterday I accidentally practiced tunesian crochet but I didn’t like the hook, to sharp. Will pin your pattern, thanks for sharing:)

5. Preeti August 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Thanks for sharing!! The multicoloured one is my favourite 🙂 Hopefully, I will learn Tunisian crochet someday. Too many things to learn, too less time.

6. Linda August 2, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Hi Kara!! Thanks for all the info on these cute cloths.
    I ‘m in the process of Tunisian crochet blanket. My hook was made for me by a friends husband. it measure 36″.
    A hook at each end.
    I put on a chain of 165 stitches. then I take them off and pout them on……Not exactly in that order. There is a pattern.
    I’m going to see if I can follow your pattern for the mat.

7. Sharleen September 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Thank you for this pattern! I’m altering them ever so slightly (more rectangular) to make placemats for my sister-in-law’s birthday gift. 🙂

• Kara September 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Sounds so nice! Let me know how they come out 🙂

8. Linda September 10, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I am working your pattern now. After the first 6 rows I had to restart the pattern several times because I was ending with an uneven count before the last 5. I also found that I had a border of 6 on the start and 5 on the end. So I started working 4 TSS instead of 5 and I seem to be equal now in both sides. Don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but it seems to be working.

• Kara September 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Hi Linda 🙂 When you start a new row, the loop on your hook counts as the first stitch. So if the pattern says work 5 TSS, the first is already on your hook. I will add a note to clarify this. Hope that helps 🙂

• Linda September 11, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Thanks Kara. Although I am experienced with Tunisian, it’s been years since I followed a pattern and I forgot first loop on hook counts as #1. There may be some who never worked in Tunisian … your clarity will definitely help.
        I have a friend who is unhappy with her new granite and wants to cover it … This mat will help!

Thanks again!!

• Redbrew August 27, 2014 at 12:05 am #

Cute pattern, will have to try it (I use a dish mat daily). Most Tunisian tutorials I have learned from automatically account for the stitch on the hook, so you do not need to count it. In otherwords, they don’t mention it nor do they add it to the pattern as a numbered stitch. I much prefer this, as it is way less confusing? The other way feels like we’re adding a stitch in the numbers but then mentally taking it away in the work. Just leave it out of the numbers in the pattern (so decrease all numbers by 1 throughout) and you don’t have to think about it at all. Great tutorials on Tunisian can be found at stitchdiva.com (I am not affiliated, but just benefited from her videos).

9. Brenda September 18, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Hello, is there some place on your website that tells about tunisian crochet? I have searched around and don’t seem to find it. I get taken to all sorts of places with books to buy, etc. but nothing to explain how to do it. Guess I can go to youtube.

Brenda

• Kara September 18, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Hi Brenda 🙂 I don’t have a Tunisian tutorial just yet, but am working on one for next month. Sorry 🙁

10. Cindy October 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Brenda, there are several vidoes on YouTube for Tunisian instructions. I have also found some other sites as well when I searched. Hope this helps..

11. Bernita October 28, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Love this pattern. I have done very little tunisan crochet (I mostly knit) , so I’m not very adept at seeing pattern repeats. I want to make this a little wider and longer. Of course, longer isn’t the problem 🙂 ! Is the cross stitch pattern a 4 stitch repeat? If so, I could add multiples of 4 to make it wider, right?

Thanks for your assistance.

• Kara October 28, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Yes, the cross stitch pattern is done in multiples of 4. You can reference the original stitch pattern along with a stitch diagram here:http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/04/free-stitch-pattern-from-new-tunisian-html/
      Good luck!

• Bernita October 28, 2013 at 11:41 am #

I tried clicking on Tunisian cross stitch pattern from The New Tunisian Crochet by Dora Ohrenstein, before I posted and it took me to some blue book website, so I will try this link instead. Thanks for the quick response.

12. Chesterton November 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

After completing the return row (46), do I single crochet into the “squares” formed by the way the return row is worked? Thank you in advance for your answer!

• Kara November 14, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

13. Rebecca January 19, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Could anyone tell me approx. how much yarn was used? I have 2 different 120yd. balls of Peaches and Cream and wanted to know if I would have enough to maybe make it a little larger.

14. Linda June 21, 2014 at 10:02 am #

Kara could you design a Tunisian square that is smaller to use to set hot dishes and pans on?

15. Tiffany July 15, 2014 at 9:46 am #

Hi!! I love this idea for a dishmat!! Is it possible to make this with regular crochet? I’m not familiar with Tunisian style. I would love to make this for a gift!!

16. Jennifer July 16, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Do you have the Tuscan dishcloth pattern posted somewhere?

17. Karen September 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

This looks like it would make an awesome door mat. I love tunisian crochet.

18. maria natália June 26, 2015 at 11:23 am #

Não leio e não falo Inglês,obrigada.

19. Cheryl August 3, 2015 at 3:43 pm #

I love this. I have never tried the Tunisian purl stitch. This past year was the first I ever tried crocheting a tunisian scarf. I can’t wait to give this one a try! Thanks!

20. Cathy - ScrappinCat! July 7, 2016 at 9:30 am #

Beautiful series. Love this mat, thinking of making a set of 4 as place mats for my son’s fiance. Thank you for sharing your hard work, it is much appreciated.

1. Tunus İşi ile yapılmış 20 farklı modelin yapılışı - Canım Anne - May 4, 2015

[…]  Tunuslu Tığ Bulaşık Kurutma Mat  Kara Gunza […]

2. 20 Free Patterns for Tunisian Crochet • Oombawka Design Crochet - May 7, 2015

[…] 10. Tunisian Crochet Dish Drying Mat by Kara Gunza […]

3. [Free Pattern] Pretty Up Your Dish Drying Routine With This Lovely Tunisian Crochet Drying Mat! - Knit And Crochet Daily - February 14, 2016

[…] roof, once you have your first project done. Kara from Petals to Picot is sharing this beautiful Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern for free on her site. If you feel inspired browse through her site and you’ll find more cute […]