I’m continuing my kitchen series this month with this pretty Tunisian Crochet Dish Drying Mat Pattern. I love pieces that are attractive yet functional and that’s exactly what this drying mat is. The cotton yarn dries quickly and can be thrown in the wash over and over again.
If you missed any of the kitchen patterns so far, you can click here to see the full collection of kitchen and dining patterns. I’ve especially been enjoying seeing all the different dishcloth variations you’ve been making on Ravelry. If you haven’t tried one yet, you will definitely want to … they are so much fun! I have included the direct links to each of those patterns below the photo here so you can quickly jump to the one you want.
Tunisian Crochet Dish Drying Mat Pattern
Where possible I include links to the products and resources I mention. Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission on purchases at absolutely no additional cost to my readers. These affiliate relationships help offset the costs of running this website. You can read my full Disclosure Statement here.
Here’s what you need:
- worsted weight cotton yarn, approx. 186 yds (such as Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton® Yarn)
- J10 / 6mm Tunisian hook
- yarn needle and scissors for finishing
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern: Tunisian Crochet Abbreviations and Symbols, Basic Forward and Return Pass, How to Crochet a Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks), How to Crochet a Tunisian Purl Stitch (Tps), How to Crochet Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss).
- When working your forward pass, the loop on your hook counts as the first stitch. Therefore, when the pattern indicates to work 5 TSS, the first is already on your hook; pull up a loop in the next 4 stitches to complete the 5 TSS indicated.
- The last stitch of each row should be made through the two end loops of row below.
- A basic return pass should be used throughout (i.e., yo, draw through 1 loop, *yo, draw through 2 loops, rep from * across).
- Add new color on the last yarn over of your return pass.
- Tks – Tunisian Knit Stitch
- Tss – Tunisian Simple Stitch
Finished mat measures approximately 16 in × 17 in.
Rows 1–6: Work Tss in each st across — 46 sts.
Row 7: Work 5 Tss, *sk next vertical bar, pull up a loop in next vertical bar, pull up a loop in skipped vertical bar (cross st made), 2 Tps, rep from * until last 5 sts, work 5 Tss — 46 sts.
Row 8: Work 5 Tss, *2 Tps, sk next vertical bar, pull up a loop in next vertical bar, pull up a loop in skipped vertical bar (cross st made), rep from * until last 5 sts, work 5 Tss — 46 sts.
Rows 9–40: Repeat rows 7 and 8 for pattern.
Rows 41–46: Work Tss in each st across, return pass — 46 sts.
Do not fasten off.
Round 1: Ch 1, work a sc border around piece by working 1 sc at the end of each row and in each st and 3sc in each corner, join.
Rounds 2–3: rep round 1.
Fasten off, weave in ends.
Click here for more Tunisian Crochet Patterns.