Quick and Easy Crocheted Blanket Edging Patterns

4.2K Flares Google+ 60 StumbleUpon 710 Pin It Share 3.2K Facebook 229 Twitter 8 4.2K Flares ×
Crochet Edging Pattern

You don’t need to have a lot of money, time, or even crochet experience to create a special blanket to give as a gift or to donate to a child in need.  These quick and easy crocheted blanket edging patterns add a handmade touch to any fabric blanket.  In fact, they are so quick and easy that you can still whip up a few blankets for our Project Linus Cyber Blanket Drive.

To start, pick out a fabric blanket.  You can use fleece, flannel, or even a receiving blanket.  Many discount stores carry small fleece blankets at very reasonable prices.  The easiest approach is to find a blanket that already has stitching around it for you to crochet into (Fig. 1a and 1b). You can just insert your hook through the top of the blanket stitch, pull up a loop (Fig. 1c),  and crochet as usual (Fig. 1d).

Crochet Edges for Blankets

Fig 1a

Crochet Edges for Blankets

Fig 1b

Crochet Edges for Blankets

Fig 1c

Crochet Edging Patterns

Fig 1d

Another option is to buy a piece of fabric from a fabric store, cut it to the desired size, and either use a sewing machine to make a blanket stitch around the fabric or use a Sharp Crochet Hook to add the stitching. I personally prefer to use a Sharp Crochet Hook (Fig. 2a). To add a blanket stitch using a Sharp Crochet Hook, use a coordinating color of crochet thread, insert the hook into the fabric, and pull up a loop of the thread to the height of the edge of the blanket (Fig. 2b). Then, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook (Fig. 2c). Continue around your fabric until you have a stitched border to crochet into as shown above.

Fig 2a

Fig 2b

Fig 2c

Now for the edging patterns.  If you need a review of the stitches or stitch abbreviations, my Learn to Crochet Tutorials and a Crochet Abbreviations chart are always available under the Resources tab in the menu above.

Basic Border

Join yarn to blanket by inserting your hook through a stitch and pulling up a loop (see Fig. 1c above).

Ch 3, work 1 dc in each st until you reach the corner. For rounded corners, work 2 dc in the three corner stitches.  For straight corners, work 5 dc in the corner st. Continue working around blanket.  Join with a Sl st in the top of the beginning ch-3.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Basic Crochet Border Pattern

Two-Round Design

Join yarn as above.

Ch 2.

Round 1: Work 1 hdc in each stitch until you reach the corner. For rounded corners, work 2 hdc in the three corner stitches.  For straight corners, work 3 dc in the corner st. Continue working around blanket.  Join with a Sl st in the top of the beginning ch-2.
Round 2: Ch 1, work 1 sc between each hdc around blanket, continue the same around each corner. Join with a Sl st in 1st sc.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Crochet Shell Border Pattern

Shell Border

Join yarn as above.

Ch 1.

Work 1 sc in same stitch as loop was pulled up, sk next st, 5 dc in next, sk next st, *1 sc in next, sk next st, 5 dc in next, sk next, rep from * around, ending with a Sl st in 1st sc (depending on how many stitches are around the blanket, you may need to improvise toward the end by perhaps skipping 2 sts or none at all to make the join work properly).

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Crochet Blanket Borders
Crochet Blanket Borders
 Click here for another Easy Crochet Edging Pattern
edging (1 of 3)
Click here for more of my free crochet patterns.
crochet patterns for the home

, ,

55 Responses to Quick and Easy Crocheted Blanket Edging Patterns

1. Cranberry Morning April 18, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Very nice tutorial! I especially like the pink edging. :-)

2. Anna April 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Beautiful ! All of them ! Thanks for the tutorials…
    Hug
    Anna

3. Kadie April 18, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

I love these! The only way I have ever seen them done is with a hemstitcher that puts the holes in the fabric for you and you crochet though that. I used to live close enough to my mom who had one that I could use it. I am excited to try this way and maybe get one of those sharp hooks they look really cool!:)

4. Hani@Craftionary April 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

I love these.. I wish I could crochet that well.. All I know is chain stitch and very little practice.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party.. :)

5. Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs April 22, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Hello, I’m a new follower and found your link at the Overflowing With Creativity party. I’ve been wanting to add some crochet to homemade hankies and fleece blankets but wasn’t sure how to get started. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern. I’d love if you’d link up to my Frugal Treasures party.

6. Deana April 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Thanks so much for linking up this cute project @CountryMommaCooks….have a wonderful Sunday:)

7. DoleValleyGirl April 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing. :)

8. DebbieDoesCreations April 26, 2012 at 2:50 am #

So cute and it gives it that added extra touch. Thanks so much for sharing with me at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

9. Witha April 26, 2012 at 4:53 am #

Lovely! I love the edging.. Thanks for the tutorial

Visiting from Blog Hop Social
    Witha @ withapinkie.blogspot.com

10. Emily April 27, 2012 at 1:38 am #

I didn’t know they made sharp hooks! Another thing I need :o) Thanks for sharing, I have several blankets in the works, so these will come in handy.

11. Rachel April 27, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Thanks again for more wonderful patterns. The blankets are just darling. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

12. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. April 29, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

I actually think I could do this with your tutorial! Very sweet!

13. Thoroughly Modern Me May 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

I love you for posting this. Found you over at Beez. I have been wanting to try a crochet edge but didn’t know where to begin. I think I can do this!!

14. Chris June 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

I make fleece blankets for Project Linus that use edges very similar to these. I use a “skip-stitch” tool to make the small holes in the fleece. Then I crochet through the holes & add whatever edge I feel like at that moment.

15. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

I love the way you stitch with regular crochet thread first and then add the heavier thread. I may have to try this on my next blanket. I usually have them hemstitched but that adds to the cost of the blanket.

• Kara at Petals to Picots June 6, 2012 at 2:50 am #

Thanks so much for your comment! It is definitely easier … and cheaper … than having to hemstitch each one :)

16. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

I really like the edgings that you put on the blankets. I tried to order the Sharp Crochet Hook for my sister and myself and it only gave me one option – Paypal. I’m sorry but I don’t know what Paypal is and where I can obtain it. Can anyone be of help in my dilemma?

• Kara at Petals to Picots June 6, 2012 at 2:49 am #

Paypal is a very secure payment system that most online stores use. However, if you don’t feel comfortable using Paypal you can try to contact Jessica at The Sharp Crochet Hook and see if she can work out another payment arrangement. Here is a link with the contact information: http://www.sharpcrochethook.com/contact-us.html. Hope that helps!

17. Deanne Stewart-Mills June 7, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

Beautiful, easy edgings. I have books with hundreds of edgings in them, but I love the simplitcity of these ones. I have now printed off your directions to add to my collection. I love making blankets and simple edgings are my faves.
    Thanks so much for easy instructions.
    Deanne
    Sydney, Australia
    xx

18. Olivia Mulligan June 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Who knew they actually made “Sharp Crochet Hooks”??!! So glad I stopped by. Ordering one today.
    Olivia

19. Carol September 27, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing. Your tutorial is just perfect! I am teaching my Granddaughter(10) to crochet and you have helped both of us. She is excited to get started on her homemade Christmas gifts. :o)

20. Jamie October 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

I’ve been buying fleece fabric and crocheting borders around it to make blankets for years. You can also do this with the baby quilt panels you can buy. I use an ice pick to poke holes around the fleece or quilt panel to crochet into. I used to measure it out at 1/4 inch intervals and mark it with chalk but now I just “eyeball” it

21. Valeria October 9, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

You are the first tutorial for edging that I’ve seen that actually tell one how to attach a crochet egde to a blanket that has no edging. It’s so simple I guess other figured I could figure it out, but I appreciate showing how you used a sharp crochet hook and the idea to use the sewing machine to create an edge to crochet it is genius. Thank you SOOOOOOO much for breaking it down for a super beginner like me!!! This will allow me to do so much more with my crochet. Yay!

22. Unknown October 14, 2012 at 11:24 am #

When you mentioned “Sharp” crochet hook, it got me to thinking “I have seen that before. After thinking about it all night, I realized this morning, that I have one of those crochet hooks! So, I went looking through my stash of steel hooks and there it was. As size 6 steel hook with the pointed hook end. Looks to be vintage as it has some age on it. No manufacturers marks, just the size on the thumb rest. I have wondered for years why this hook was different – now i need to put it to good use!

23. Kerry October 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

These are so cute! My mom loves to crochet, so I’ll have to show her your post! Thanks!

24. Debbie - Wrinkled Mommy October 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

What a fabulous idea! Adding that edge gives such a new look to a regular store bought blanket. Thank you so much for sharing this today on TALU! Crochet is something I want to get better at.

25. Anonymous December 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I just got my sharp hook for Christmas and am just trying it out on a fleece blanket. I am having trouble getting my crochet hook back through the hole with the crochet thread…..what size thread did you use? I found this tutorial very helpful. Thanks so much!
    Lizzie Ater
    lizzieslovelies@hotmail.com

• Kara @ Petals to Picots December 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

Hi Lizzie, I used size 10 crochet thread to make the blanket stitching around and then just regular yarn for the crocheted border. Hope that helps :)

26. Anonymous January 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

pleasse TRADUCTOR
    Carmen

27. Shona February 20, 2013 at 2:29 am #

Thank you for posting this! Helped me choose which edge I should do and how to do it on my first blanket :)

28. poohbr March 1, 2013 at 3:49 am #

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE your tutorial! Thank you so much. It’s helped me figure out how to do this. I ordered my sharp hook last saturday and can’t wait to get it. I have the perfect fleece blanket to give to my soon to be born great-nephew and wanted to put my own touch on it. Thank you so much for your help.

29. Sharon May 1, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Thank you for these lovely edgings. I tried to do one today, but when I make a hole in the fleece, the hole gets larger and looks like it will tear. Am I using too thin of a fleece? How can I prevent this? Should I stitch an edging by machine first and then to the crocheted edging? I am lost but want to do this badly. I bought some really pretty fleece, one pink and one blue. But now I won’t be able to finish them.
    Thanks for your help and advice.

• Kara May 1, 2013 at 8:13 am #

Hi Sharon :) Are you using a Sharp Crochet Hook to make the holes? If so, try to make sure your stitches aren’t too tight that they would pull on the fleece. And you can absolutely use a machine or even hand sew a blanket stitch around the fleece first and then crochet into that. Let me know which method works out best for you. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help :)

• Sharon May 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Thanks for the suggestions. The fleece is tearing as soon as I insert the hook (which is a size 7). A good friend has been doing this for years and never had any problems until she and I tried it on this thinner fleece. I’m sure it is the fleece. Was just looking for other ways to finish these particular pieces. Next time I buy fleece, it will be thicker and then I will do your edgings. I thank you for replying to me. I may need your help again sometime.
        Sharon

30. yousra March 17, 2014 at 7:58 am #

so cute

31. monica March 26, 2014 at 10:12 am #

GRacias por enseñarnos!!!

32. Cheryl May 6, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

Hello. Could this be combined into one step, or skip the blanket stitch and just do the crochet border with the sharp hook?
    Thanks.

• Kara May 6, 2014 at 9:10 pm #

Yes, Cheryl. If you prefer you could use the sharp hook to make a slip stitch or single crochet border but you would need to be careful to not bunch the of the blanket.

33. Dorothy Smith July 11, 2014 at 11:42 pm #

I would like to print out the edgings you have but can’t seem to find them all in one place.

1. Crochet Purse – My First! | the yarn identity - May 3, 2013

[...] was missing from the flap so I added some scalloped edging.  I was really happy with how it turned [...]

2. My Inspiration for the Week | Katy Trail Creations - January 26, 2014

[…] http://www.petalstopicots.com/2012/04/quick-and-easy-crocheted-blanket-edging-patterns/ […]

3. Crochet Edged Tea Towel Pattern | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - March 12, 2014

[…] Before beginning, sew a blanket stitch across the edge of your towel using the tutorial here. If you prefer, an alternate option would be to use a sharp crochet hook to edge the blanket as I showed in my Quick and Easy Blanket Edgings post here.  […]

4. 50 Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns (FCPF) Oombawka Design Crochet - May 2, 2014

[…] – Tamara – Moogly 5. Oceanic Baby Blanket – Lorene – Cre8tion Crochet 6. Quick and Easy Crocheted Blanket Edging Patterns – Kara – Petals to Picots 7. Faded Ripple – Free Crochet Pattern – Jessie – […]

5. Easy Crochet Edging Pattern | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - July 7, 2014

[…] This easy crochet edging pattern is a super quick way to add a personal and handmade touch to any piece of fleece or fabric … perfect for a last minute gift or for making items and loveys to donate! If the fabric already has a blanket stitch around it, just work into the tops of the stitches. If there is no stitching around it, no worries at all … check out my post here on how to prep your fabric to crochet a border. […]