Granny Hexagon Pattern and Photo Tutorial … My Latest Love

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

I am so in love with this granny hexagon pattern! Those of you who follow along in my Facebook group or on Instagram may have already seen my latest WIP …

Granny Hexagon Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com

And since so many people seemed interested in making their own, I thought I would share the pattern with you.

It starts with a traditional granny hexagon pattern. I am sure there are many variations in how the granny hexagons can be worked, but this is how I do it.

One of the fun parts for me is always picking out the colors.  And this was a great opportunity for me to use some of the colors that I have left over from my Kaleidoscopic Afghan.

Here’s what I purchased …

Where possible I include links to the products and resources I mention. Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission on purchases at absolutely no additional cost to my readers. These affiliate relationships help offset the costs of running this website. You can read my full Disclosure Statement here.

Granny Hexagon Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com

These are the Brava Worsted Yarns from KnitPicks that I chose:

Reds/Browns: Persimmon, Paprika, Sienna

Blues: Tidepool, Cornflower, Tranquil

Greens: Fig, Peapod, Dublin

Granny Hexagon Pattern

Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern: Crochet AbbreviationsU.S. to U.K. Crochet Conversion ChartHow to Make a Magic Ring, Crochet Stitch Chart Symbols.

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

With CA, make a magic ring (as an alternative to the magic ring, you can ch 4 and join with a slip stitch in furthest chain from hook to form a ring).

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 1 dc in ring, ch 1, *2 dc in ring, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 12 dc.

Round 2: Join CB in the last ch-sp made (I do this so I can start crocheting over those pesky ends as I go), ch 3 (counts as dc), [1dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in same ch-sp, ch 1, *[2dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next ch-sp, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 24 dc.

Round 3: Join CC in the last ch-sp made, ch 3 (counts as dc), 1 dc in same ch-sp, ch 1, [2dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next ch-sp, ch 1, *2 dc in next ch-sp, ch 1, [2dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next ch-sp, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 36 dc.

How to crochet a granny hexagon | www.petalstopicots.com

Weave in the rest of those pesky ends.

How to crochet a granny hexagon | www.petalstopicots.com

So many color combinations!!

Granny Hexagons Crochet Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com

Now that we’ve covered the basic granny hexagon pattern! For joining I chose a pretty cream color, also from the Brava Worsted line from KnitPicks. Check out my post here for how to join these hexagons together using the join-as-you-go method.

Next Step: Joining the Hexagons →

Learn how to crochet a basic granny hexagon with this free pattern and photo tutorial! There are so many gorgeous color combinations just waiting to be made. #petalstopicots

, , , ,

45 Responses to Granny Hexagon Pattern and Photo Tutorial … My Latest Love

1. beatriceryandesigns.com March 13, 2013 at 5:38 am #

Very nice! I could see this covering a ottoman… or on the back of comfy patio furniture to cuddle up in on a cold evening

• Daniela April 14, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

Hi,

I love this pattern. I started to work one of it. Please tell me if you have an order when stitch them together, or you made as you wished?

regards,
      Daniela

2. Dorothy March 13, 2013 at 7:50 am #

Oh pretty pretty – I love it too. Will look forward to the next post for joining. Thanks so much for sharing. xoxox

3. Tanya March 13, 2013 at 5:55 am #

join as you go is the ultimate best. why on earth would anyone sew them together? looks fab!

4. Preeti March 13, 2013 at 6:56 am #

It’s very beautiful! Love the way you have done your color scheme. I am always confused with colors and not that color confident. If there are too many colors, I just let it go wild:) I can try your way, looks more easier to separate shades.

5. LenkaH. March 13, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Really nice love :o) thanks for sharing the pattern!

6. Rajeswari March 13, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Hexagon love – so tempting..My next blanket is a hexi one…will deff look into this pattern for the same1

7. priscilla March 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Goprgeous , Kara !

8. aslightobsessionwithbooks March 13, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Love your colour choices. It looks great!

9. linda March 13, 2013 at 10:13 am #

It’s lovely Kara I enjoyed making a stash-buster hexi blanket too, It’s great to make something so beautiful out of yarn you have lying about at home. 🙂

10. Astri March 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

You make everything so colorful and easy to tackle! Thank you for sharing your beautiful hexi blanket, Kara.

11. Sarah March 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

ooooo Love this!!!

12. Jaclyn March 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Very nice! Love the colors. Thank you for sharing the pattern…I would like to do a Hexi blanket…maybe my next one!

13. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life March 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Great post! I love the free pattern and tutorial and the colors you chose. This blanket is stunning! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump day!

14. Barbara March 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

The hexies look beautiful!

15. Kara @ Simplistically Sassy March 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

So beautiful!! I have a goal to make an afghan like this at some point! Love yours!

16. Elisabeth March 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

So pretty! Lovely colour choice – I’ll look forward to seeing it finished 🙂 Elisabeth x

17. Lindsey Ramsdell March 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

How many hexagons are you making for this? And what size do you plan on making? Also how much yarn did you order? I am looking at ordering Knit Picks Comfy Worsted yarn and there is about 100 yards less in a ball. I am going to do purples and blues, but join it all together with a grey color.

• Kara @ Petals to Picots March 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Hi Lindsey 🙂 Your colors sound sooo pretty!! I have been wanting to try their comfy worsted too … you’ll have to let me know how you like it. As for how many skeins, and hexagons it will take, I’m not sure yet since I am still working on it. I used left over yarn from my last blanket and believe their was about a skein and a half of each color left. I just ordered 1 more skein of each since I want to make it bigger. Hope that helps. Can’t wait to hear how you make out … and maybe even get to see your project too 🙂

• Lindsey Ramsdell March 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Hi Kara! Thanks for the input 🙂 I think I am going to order 4 balls of each color. That should be a good start. If I have lots left over, those colors would make great baby hats and slippers. Right now I am working on a king size afghan for my hubby so I won’t be starting on mine until his is done. He picked the yarn out seven years ago and I am finally getting to it. Its about 1/4 of the way done. I am terrible for starting ten different projects and never finishing them. So this year I have made a goal to finish all of my unfinished projects. Surprisingly I only have a few left 🙂 I finally get to be a stay at home mom after years of working, so now when the kids are in school I will have time to complete things.

18. Ana BC March 14, 2013 at 12:27 am #

Kara, your blanket is amazing! It is so creative how you combined the colors in groups of three. It is going to be a piece of art 🙂

19. From My Heart Of Love March 14, 2013 at 2:05 am #

Love your afghan! Very beautiful.

20. Amy March 15, 2013 at 12:55 am #

Kara, this is beautiful!!! I love the look you’ve created.

Amy

21. GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart March 16, 2013 at 12:06 am #

This is a really beautiful Granny! It goes together so well ~ looks flawless!

22. Kadie March 16, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Oh my goodness I LOVE this Kara!! It is turning out beautifully. I wish I had the patience for something like this, but I get board to easily.:(

23. knittichristi March 16, 2013 at 11:48 am #

This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing- this just got added to my to-do list!!!

24. Amy March 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Fun pattern!

25. Chiwei @ One Dog Woof March 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Oh my goodness, those ends just KILL me. It’s such a downer after having fun making all those pieces, lol!

26. Marilyn Clark March 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

I have never made hexagon shaped grannies before…but I just pinned and tweeted this so I can be sure to add these to my “to make” list!

27. Tamara March 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Kara, you always have the best tutorials! I can’t wait to see the joining one! Thanks so much for linking up on Hookin on Hump Day!

28. Ana Mª March 21, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Unos trabajos muy bonitos y originales . Enhorabuena por tu blog , hay mucho arte .Un saludo

29. Teri September 22, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Wow, these are so pretty! Can’t wait to do some of those!

• Kara September 23, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Thanks, Teri!

30. Mina September 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

How would the finished edges look? I am almost finished with my blanket but not sure about finishing edges/borders.

• Kara September 23, 2013 at 7:59 am #

There are so many ways you can finish. I am working on a tutorial now to show how I did it. Hopefully I will have it up for you soon 🙂

31. Claire January 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

I am wondering how many balls of each color you needed and how large your finished afghan came out to be. Do you think this could be a good scrap busting project?

32. Laura March 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Kara: wanted you to know that I love this hexagon granny pattern. I also got the joining ideas you put on the site also. I did not know that I have also printed off the flower one in the middle of the top of this site and the cross pattern that I saw here. I like the great artistic thought in your work. Thank you so much for sharing so much with us. I look forward to future projects with you.!

• Kara March 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Laura! It means so much to me 🙂

33. Laura Miller April 8, 2014 at 11:27 am #

On the right side of the page there is a lovely bouquet of flowers. Are there patterns for this bouquet? (I’m new and this is the first time I’ve used the site.) Thank you.

• Kara April 8, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

I’m not sure what flowers you are referring to. Perhaps they were in my Pinterest box??

34. Jamie July 4, 2014 at 11:09 pm #

Hi!!
    I was just wondering how many hexagons you ended up making for this project!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I am still learning and I may be over doing it, but I really want to try this!! 🙂 eeek!!! lets see how it goes!!!

35. Pat Gwynn November 13, 2015 at 9:18 am #

Hi Kara– I’m a little late to this party but would like to try this afghan. When you say a ‘ball / skein’ of yarn, do you mean 3 1/5 ounce or 8 ounce or something different. I don’t want to run short or over buy. Thanks
    Pat

36. brit January 29, 2017 at 11:28 am #

love it! retro-granny goodness with a modern shape; I finally found my bedspread pattern! lol
    the easy pattern and your 3-color combos did it for me. colorful enough to not be boring, but you know they will look good together 🙂
    love jaygo, it looks so much nicer without a heavy seam, and less ends to weave!
    great stash buster too

37. Amber 2 Hoffner January 5, 2018 at 6:37 pm #

I’m curious how I would sc around this and than continue on with the dc rounds. I want to record a week’s temperatures into a hexagon with seven rounds and adding a sc round if there is a holiday/birthday. Thank you in advance if anyone can help!