Granny Hexagon Pattern … My Latest Love

Granny Hexagon Pattern

Those of you who follow along on Facebook may have already seen my latest WIP … my granny hexagon afghan. I am so in love with this project!

Granny Hexagon Pattern

And since so many people seemed interested in making their own, I thought I would share the pattern with you.

It starts with a traditional granny hexagon pattern. I am sure there are many variations in how the granny hexagons can be worked, but this is how I do it.
One of the fun parts for me is always picking out the colors.  And this was a great opportunity for me to use some of the colors that I have left over from in my Kaleidoscopic Afghan.

Here’s what I chose …

Yarn colors for granny hexagons

These are all Brava Worsted yarns from KnitPicks. Blues: Tidepool, Cornflower, Tranquil; Reds/Browns: Persimmon,
Paprika, Sienna; Greens: Fig, Peapod, Dublin.

Granny Hexagon Pattern

With CA, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 1 dc in ring, ch 1, *2 dc in ring, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 12 dc.

Round 2: Join CB in the last ch-sp made (I do this so I can start crocheting over those pesky ends as I go), ch 3 (counts as dc), [1dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in same ch-sp, ch 1, [2dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next ch-sp, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 24 dc.

Round 3: Join CC in the last ch-sp made, ch 3 (counts as dc), 1 dc in same ch-sp, ch 1, [2dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next ch-sp, ch 1, *2 dc in next ch-sp, ch 1, [2dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next ch-sp, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 36 dc.

how to crochet a granny hexagon

Weave in the rest of those pesky ends.

Granny Hexagons

That’s it for now.  Check out my post here for how to join these hexagons together using the join-as-you-go method. For joining I chose a pretty cream color.

Next Step: Joining the Hexagons →

You can find more fun afghan ideas and my other free patterns here.

Free Afghan Patterns

, , , ,

48 Responses to Granny Hexagon Pattern … My Latest Love

1. beatriceryandesigns.com March 13, 2013 at 5:38 am #

Very nice! I could see this covering a ottoman… or on the back of comfy patio furniture to cuddle up in on a cold evening

2. Dorothy March 13, 2013 at 7:50 am #

Oh pretty pretty – I love it too. Will look forward to the next post for joining. Thanks so much for sharing. xoxox

3. Tanya March 13, 2013 at 5:55 am #

join as you go is the ultimate best. why on earth would anyone sew them together? looks fab!

4. Preeti March 13, 2013 at 6:56 am #

It’s very beautiful! Love the way you have done your color scheme. I am always confused with colors and not that color confident. If there are too many colors, I just let it go wild:) I can try your way, looks more easier to separate shades.

5. LenkaH. March 13, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Really nice love :o) thanks for sharing the pattern!

6. Rajeswari March 13, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Hexagon love – so tempting..My next blanket is a hexi one…will deff look into this pattern for the same1

7. priscilla March 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Goprgeous , Kara !

8. aslightobsessionwithbooks March 13, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Love your colour choices. It looks great!

9. Jaclyn March 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Very nice! Love the colors. Thank you for sharing the pattern…I would like to do a Hexi blanket…maybe my next one!

10. linda March 13, 2013 at 10:13 am #

It’s lovely Kara I enjoyed making a stash-buster hexi blanket too, It’s great to make something so beautiful out of yarn you have lying about at home. :)

11. Kara @ Simplistically Sassy March 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

So beautiful!! I have a goal to make an afghan like this at some point! Love yours!

12. Astri March 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

You make everything so colorful and easy to tackle! Thank you for sharing your beautiful hexi blanket, Kara.

13. Sarah March 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

ooooo Love this!!!

14. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life March 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Great post! I love the free pattern and tutorial and the colors you chose. This blanket is stunning! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump day!

15. Barbara March 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

The hexies look beautiful!

16. Elisabeth March 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

So pretty! Lovely colour choice – I’ll look forward to seeing it finished :) Elisabeth x

17. Lindsey Ramsdell March 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

How many hexagons are you making for this? And what size do you plan on making? Also how much yarn did you order? I am looking at ordering Knit Picks Comfy Worsted yarn and there is about 100 yards less in a ball. I am going to do purples and blues, but join it all together with a grey color.

• Kara @ Petals to Picots March 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Hi Lindsey :) Your colors sound sooo pretty!! I have been wanting to try their comfy worsted too … you’ll have to let me know how you like it. As for how many skeins, and hexagons it will take, I’m not sure yet since I am still working on it. I used left over yarn from my last blanket and believe their was about a skein and a half of each color left. I just ordered 1 more skein of each since I want to make it bigger. Hope that helps. Can’t wait to hear how you make out … and maybe even get to see your project too :)

• Lindsey Ramsdell March 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Hi Kara! Thanks for the input :) I think I am going to order 4 balls of each color. That should be a good start. If I have lots left over, those colors would make great baby hats and slippers. Right now I am working on a king size afghan for my hubby so I won’t be starting on mine until his is done. He picked the yarn out seven years ago and I am finally getting to it. Its about 1/4 of the way done. I am terrible for starting ten different projects and never finishing them. So this year I have made a goal to finish all of my unfinished projects. Surprisingly I only have a few left :) I finally get to be a stay at home mom after years of working, so now when the kids are in school I will have time to complete things.

18. Ana BC March 14, 2013 at 12:27 am #

Kara, your blanket is amazing! It is so creative how you combined the colors in groups of three. It is going to be a piece of art :-)

19. From My Heart Of Love March 14, 2013 at 2:05 am #

Love your afghan! Very beautiful.

20. Amy March 15, 2013 at 12:55 am #

Kara, this is beautiful!!! I love the look you’ve created.

Amy

21. GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart March 16, 2013 at 12:06 am #

This is a really beautiful Granny! It goes together so well ~ looks flawless!

22. Kadie March 16, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Oh my goodness I LOVE this Kara!! It is turning out beautifully. I wish I had the patience for something like this, but I get board to easily.:(

23. knittichristi March 16, 2013 at 11:48 am #

This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing- this just got added to my to-do list!!!

24. Amy March 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Fun pattern!

25. Chiwei @ One Dog Woof March 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Oh my goodness, those ends just KILL me. It’s such a downer after having fun making all those pieces, lol!

26. Marilyn Clark March 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

I have never made hexagon shaped grannies before…but I just pinned and tweeted this so I can be sure to add these to my “to make” list!

27. Tamara March 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Kara, you always have the best tutorials! I can’t wait to see the joining one! Thanks so much for linking up on Hookin on Hump Day!

28. Ana Mª March 21, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Unos trabajos muy bonitos y originales . Enhorabuena por tu blog , hay mucho arte .Un saludo

29. Teri September 22, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Wow, these are so pretty! Can’t wait to do some of those!

• Kara September 23, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Thanks, Teri!

30. Mina September 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

How would the finished edges look? I am almost finished with my blanket but not sure about finishing edges/borders.

• Kara September 23, 2013 at 7:59 am #

There are so many ways you can finish. I am working on a tutorial now to show how I did it. Hopefully I will have it up for you soon :)

31. Claire January 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

I am wondering how many balls of each color you needed and how large your finished afghan came out to be. Do you think this could be a good scrap busting project?

32. Laura March 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Kara: wanted you to know that I love this hexagon granny pattern. I also got the joining ideas you put on the site also. I did not know that I have also printed off the flower one in the middle of the top of this site and the cross pattern that I saw here. I like the great artistic thought in your work. Thank you so much for sharing so much with us. I look forward to future projects with you.!

• Kara March 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Laura! It means so much to me :)

33. Laura Miller April 8, 2014 at 11:27 am #

On the right side of the page there is a lovely bouquet of flowers. Are there patterns for this bouquet? (I’m new and this is the first time I’ve used the site.) Thank you.

• Kara April 8, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

I’m not sure what flowers you are referring to. Perhaps they were in my Pinterest box??

34. Jamie July 4, 2014 at 11:09 pm #

Hi!!
    I was just wondering how many hexagons you ended up making for this project!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I am still learning and I may be over doing it, but I really want to try this!! :) eeek!!! lets see how it goes!!!

1. WIP Wednesday | Crafty Cori Strikes Again - January 8, 2014

[…] fell in love with this pattern for a Granny Hex blanket from Petals to Picots months ago, but I was too wrapped up in Christmas projects to do […]

2. Sew and sew. | thevirtualyurt - February 2, 2014

[…] If you like this granny hexagon blanket you can find a brilliant tutorial at Petals to Picots http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/03/granny-hexagon-pattern-my-latest-love/ […]

3. Friday Finds: Cuddle Up with 10 Great Quilts, Afghans, and Blankets - February 7, 2014

[…] Granny Hexagon Afghan at Petals To Picots […]

4. Free Crochet eBook … Learn to Crochet Geometric Patterns: 11 Hexagon Crochet Motifs | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - March 7, 2014

[…] one for my granny hexagon blanket I shared with you awhile back. If you missed it, you can click here for the pattern or on the image below […]

5. African Flower Pattern | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - May 22, 2014

[…] that turn the motifs into hexagons because … well … to be honest, since I just did a hexagon blanket I wanted to do a something a little different and I thought they looked pretty neat like this. […]

6. Buzzy Bee Baby Blanket with Matching Hat - Crafty Cori Strikes Again - June 14, 2014

[…] first, the blanket pattern is from Petal to Picots. Like I mentioned, it is the same Granny Hex pattern I used for the colorful afghan I am still […]

7. Granny Hexagon Crochet Edging | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - June 30, 2014

[…] making the beginnings of this lovely granny hexagon afghan. If you missed it, you can find the granny hexagon pattern here and my tutorial for joining them as you go here. I let it sit for awhile deciding how I wanted to […]

8. Crochet Hexagon Afghan Pattern and Tutorial | Petals to Picots - August 6, 2014

[…] 217 hexagons with the granny hexagon crochet pattern here, alternating colors as you […]