Halloween Pumpkin Trick or Treat Bag Crochet Pattern

Pumpkin Bag Halloween crochet pattern

This cute trick or treat bag crochet pattern works up quickly and is perfect for holding all your little pumpkin’s sweets!

Pumpkin Trick or Treat Bag Crochet Pattern

• Orange worsted weight acrylic or cotton yarn
  • H hook / 5 mm
  • a piece of cardboard approx 6 × 6 in. (optional)
  • tapestry needle

Special Stitches:

hdc2tog: yarn over, insert hook into designated st and pull up a loop, yarn over again and insert hook into next stitch and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through all 5 loops on hook.

FPdc: yarn over, insert hook from front to back to front around post of  specified st and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, yarn over again and pull through remaining 2 loops.

Finished bag measures approx. 7 in. high and 11 in. wide.

Pumpkin Bag

Make a magic ring.

Foundation Round: Ch 2 (counts as st here and throughout), work 7 hdc in ring, join — 8 sts.

Round 1: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same stitch as join, 2 hdc in each st around, join — 16 sts.

Round 2: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same stitch as join, 1 hdc in next st, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next, rep from * around, join — 24 sts.

Round 3: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same stitch as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around, join — 32 sts.

Round 4: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same stitch as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * around, join  — 40 sts.

Round 5: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same stitch as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, rep from * around, join — 48 sts.

Round 6: Ch 2, working in back loops only, 1 hdc in same st as join and each st around, join — 49 sts.

Round 7: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around hdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around hdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next st, join — 56 sts.

Round 8: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, join — 56 sts.

Round 9: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from *5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, join — 63 sts.

Round 10: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 8 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts, join — 63 sts.

Round 11: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, join — 70 sts.

Rounds 12 through 14: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 9 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 8 sts, join — 70 sts.

Round 15: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, join — 63 sts.

Round 16: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 8 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts,  join — 63 sts.

Round 17: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts,  join — 56 sts.

Round 18: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, join — 56 sts.

Round 19: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around  FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around  FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next st, join — 49 sts.

Round 20: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, join — 49 sts.

Round 21: Ch 2, *work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * 5 more times, work 1 FPdc around FPdc directly below, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, hdc2tog, 1 hdc in each of the next st, join — 42 sts.

Round 22: Ch 1 (does not count as st), working back across stitches just made, work 1 rev sc in each st around, join — 42 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Handle

Ch 45.

Row 1: Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, turn — 44 sts.

Rows 2 through 4: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 1 sc in each st across, turn — 44 sts.

Fasten off.

Finishing

Using the same color yarn and a tapestry needle, sew the handle to the pumpkin bag. Weave in ends. If desired, you can use a piece of cardboard to help reinforce the bottom of the bag. Measure the base of your bag and trim the cardboard piece in a circular fashion to fit.

Pumpkin Bag Halloween crochet pattern

If you enjoyed this Halloween Pumpkin Trick or Treat Bag Crochet Pattern, click here for more free Halloween crochet patterns.

Halloween Crochet Patterns

, , ,

27 Responses to Halloween Pumpkin Trick or Treat Bag Crochet Pattern

1. Ladybird Ln October 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Wow, you are so talented, this is just darling, and so much cuter than the plastic variety!

Carlee

2. Kadie October 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Great idea! I have sewn trick or treat bags but never crocheted them!:)

3. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life October 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Very nice, Kara! I like the cabled texture down the sides. And I like your new format with the grey boxes. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

4. pinkoddy October 28, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

This is really great. I’m no good at this sort of thing though. We made paper ones instead.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. Karen October 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Super cute bag!!

6. glitrbug October 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

This would be perfect for a knitting on the go bag! I’d use a smaller crochet hook to make a tighter fabric and make sure the handle fit over my arm nicely. It would just need to be the right size to hold a cake of sock yarn and my 42″ circular needles.

7. Tamara - Moogly September 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

Great pattern (as usual) Kara! I featured a link to it this morning on Moogly:

• Kara October 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

Thanks so much, Tamara!

8. Rachel September 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

I’ve made a few of these or my kids. The bottom droops down, is this normal? I can’t figure out how to make it sit the way you did in the picture. I love the pattern though :)

• Kara October 1, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Hi Rachel :) Do you mean when it is filled? Mine pulls down when filled with candy too. I mostly give it to my little one to use because he isn’t too serious about getting it filled to the top ;)

• Rachel October 1, 2013 at 10:06 am #

The bottom doesn’t sit flat. I switched to crocheting in the front loop only instead of the back loop only and now the bag sits up right.

• Kara October 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Hmmm … I’m not sure … mine sits flat.

• Dahlia July 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

You may want to try inserting a round cardboard to fit inside. This way the candy will not weigh down the bottom of the pumpkin.

• Kara July 22, 2014 at 9:12 am #

Great idea!

9. Lindsey October 24, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

I love the pattern!! Thanks for sharing :) I must be a really tight stitcher…..had to use a M hook to get it remotely close to 11 inches wide….and it is still small :(

10. Elizabeth September 10, 2014 at 2:45 am #

This is so cute, but I can’t get the bottom of mine to lay flat, either. Six hdc in a magic ring only gives me a semicircle. I end up with a bowl at the bottom instead of a flat bottom. I tried it with two different sized hooks.

11. Ginnna September 14, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

Stitch counts for 9, 10, 15 & 16 should be 63. Stitch counts for 11 through 14 should be 70.

Working on the pattern now, turning out really cute!

• Cori September 14, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Every time there is an increase I also come up 1 stitch short…even counting the chain 2. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I’ve crocheted and then let it out several times and I still can’t get the right number so I’ve just been slipping in an extra stitch at the end of the round to make it the right count.

• Kara September 14, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

Hi Cori :) Oh, I see what I did wrong!!! I missed a stitch on Round 6 that threw the whole count off! So, so sorry for the confusion. It should be correct now. Let me know if you see any else wonky. Thanks so much for letting me know!!

• Kara September 14, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

Hi Ginnna :) Yes, I see now!! I missed a stitch on Round 6 that threw the whole count off! So, so sorry for the confusion. It should be correct now. Let me know if you see any else wonky. Thanks so much for letting me know!!

12. Marilyn September 23, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

Kara, this is such a cute trick or treat pumpkin! Thanks so much for the free pattern! :D

• Kara September 23, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks so much, Marilyn!

13. Mary H September 26, 2014 at 1:17 am #

Is this a one skein wonder?

• Kara September 26, 2014 at 9:49 am #

Yep :) Just one skein!

1. Crochet Pumpkin Everything... aka Free Crochet Pumpkin Patterns! - October 10, 2013

[…] Halloween Pumpkin Trick or Treat Bag by Kara Gunza, on Petals to Picots: Love the shape of this bag – and without the handles it makes a great fall basket too! […]

2. Episode 10: Procrastination Station | The Stitch Sisters - October 16, 2014

[…] Kawaii Candy Corn Amigurumi Little Ghostie Amigurumi Little Bat Fall Leaves Wrap Halloween Pumpkin Trick or Treat Bag Tartan Afghan (OK this one was more for Outlander than Halloween…unless you want to go as a […]

3. 5 free Crochet Halloween Treat Bag patterns | At Play Blog - October 21, 2014

[…] 4. Halloween Pumpkin Treat or Trick Bag from Petals to Picots […]