Basic Striped Crochet Hat Pattern

Basic Striped Crochet Hat Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #pattern #hat

When I teach my Beyond Basics crochet classes I like to incorporate fun projects to help students learn the techniques I cover. This basic striped crochet hat pattern helps give my students a better understanding of gauge, working in the round, clean color changes, increasing, and creating a ribbed effect with post stitches. They get to learn all this while also creating something they can actually wear or give as a gift!

So whether you are trying to build on your basic crochet knowledge or just want a cute crochet hat pattern, give this one a go …

Basic Striped Crochet Hat Pattern

• 2 colors worsted-weight yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle and scissor

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations.

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Note: I prefer starting rounds with a ch-1 followed by the first st of the round because I feel it leaves a less obvious “seam”; however, if you prefer the more traditional ch-2 start, count the ch-2 as a stitch and use it in place of the ch-1 and the first hdc (end of round stitch counts should remain the same).
Front Post Double Crochet (FPdc): Yarn over and insert hook from the front around the back and to the front again around the post of the stitch in the previous row. Complete as a regular double crochet.

Gauge: 13 hdc and 11 rows = 4 in.

Sizing = pattern as written will yield a standard adult size but can be easily modified to fit any size with this handy Hat Sizing Guide; finished circumference is approx. 20 in.; crown to brim is approx. 8 in.

With CA, ch 2.

Round 1: Continuing with CA, work 8 hdc in furthest ch from hook, join in top of 1st hdc with CB, tug tail gently to close up hole — 8 sts.

Round 2: Continuing with CB, ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout; see note), work 2 hdc in same st as join and in each st around, join with CA — 16 sts.

Round 3: Continuing with CA, ch 1 , work 2 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in next st, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next, rep from * around, join with CB — 24 sts.

Round 4: Continuing with CB, ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around, join with CA — 32 sts.

Round 5: Continuing with CA, ch 1 , work 2 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * around, join with CB — 40 sts.

Round 6: Continuing with CB, ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, rep from * around, join with CA — 48 sts.

Round 7: Continuing with CA, ch 1 , work 2 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, rep from * around, join with CB — 56 sts.

Round 8: Continuing with CB, ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, rep from * around, join with CA — 64 sts.

Round 9: Continuing with CA, ch 1 , work 1 hdc in same st as join and each st around, join with CB — 64 sts.

Round 10: Continuing with CB, ch 1, work 1 hdc in same st as join and each st around, join with CA — 64 sts.

Rounds 11 through 18: Repeat Rounds 9 and 10. After completing Round 18, fasten off CB only.

Round 19: Continuing with CA, ch 1, work 1 hdc in same st as join and each st around, join — 64 sts.

Round 20: Ch 1, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 FPdc around next hdc, *1 hdc in next st, 1 FPdc around next, rep from * around, join — 64 sts.

Rounds 21 and 22: Ch 1, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 FPdc around next FPdc, *1 hdc in next st, 1 FPdc around next FPdc, rep from * around, join — 64 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

30 Responses to Basic Striped Crochet Hat Pattern

1. twigwoman February 17, 2015 at 7:49 am #

This is a lovely pattern ~ thanx for the generous share!!! My husband adores this sort of cap and though Ive tried several attempts in the past this one has exactly the look he prefers!!!!

2. Mike February 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

I take it you’re just carrying the two strands along the inside seam, rather than cutting the yarn for each transition? Every time I try this I end up with a very, VERY obvious seam, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong…I take you have a guide for this sort of thing already, though, so I’m going to investigate!

Great pattern, my favorite hats are simple and clean like this one!

3. Laura fuentes March 7, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

It waves as I crochet it

4. Rosie and Duncan September 15, 2015 at 11:22 pm #

I love this hat design, it’s just what I’ve been looking for. I’d really love to make a newborn size version of this hat, don’t suppose you have any tips for me on how best to do this? Thank you 🙂

5. Lisa October 31, 2015 at 7:54 am #

Cute pattern. I did change the ribbing tho’ I did fpdc around ea. fpdc and hdc in ea. hdc to get my ribs to line up.

6. Amanda M. December 10, 2015 at 11:24 am #

I just completed a hat from this pattern. It’s so cute, and I’m wearing it right now. I found an error, though, in the pattern. In the last 2 rows, you do fpdc around each fpdc and hdc in each hdc in order to get the ribbed look as shown in the picture. Otherwise, the stiches are staggered, which I don’t think is the intent.

• Kara December 14, 2015 at 8:56 pm #

You are correct … I updated the pattern to correct it 🙂 Thank you!

• Patti October 17, 2016 at 11:30 pm #

Where is the updated pattern shown then?

7. Colorful Canary January 6, 2016 at 4:45 pm #

Thank you for the beautiful pattern, I featured it on my blog 🙂 http://www.colorfulcanary.com/2016/01/14-fashionable-crochet-hat-patterns-for.html

• Kara January 14, 2016 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks so much for featuring me! I will be sure to share your post on my social media outlets!!

8. Liz August 3, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

Thanks for this pattern! It’s my first time crocheting a hat and I used a wool yarn to make a nice beanie for my husband. I think I might make one for myself too 🙂

• Kara August 3, 2016 at 10:09 pm #

So glad you like it!

9. Debra L Thomas December 7, 2016 at 1:32 am #

Just finished this hat. It was easy quick and fun to make.I plan to make a few more for my daughters. I love wearing this of course I made a matching scarf

• Kara December 7, 2016 at 10:16 am #

So glad you liked it, Debra 🙂

10. Karen A. January 10, 2017 at 4:37 pm #

Is there a video tutorial for the ribbing on the bottom…confused on where the stitches go

• Karen A. January 11, 2017 at 1:18 pm #

Never mind. …took me a couple tries but figured it out!

• Wendy Garner March 5, 2017 at 4:24 pm #

what did you do to figure it out?mine is still not right??

• Liz Smith March 9, 2017 at 4:32 pm #

What is CB and CB?

11. Lil January 26, 2017 at 10:50 am #

Howdy…Saw your hat post on on my news feed after I made 2 hats for the Veterans in the identical colors. Great Minds think alike.

12. Lil January 26, 2017 at 10:55 am #

Just made 2 hats for the Veterans in the same colors before I saw your Post in my News Feed and Yarn Whisperers of Baltimore, MD.
    We enjoy following you. Great Minds think alike!

13. Liz Smith March 9, 2017 at 4:34 pm #

What is CA and CB?

• Kara March 9, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

CA = color A; CB = color B 🙂

1. Picks of the Week for February 20, 2015 | Hands Occupied - February 20, 2015

[…] homesteady finger knit necklaces -hello, wonderful herringbone crochet hat -all about ami crochet striped beanie -petals to picots snow day slippers knitting pattern -gina Michele one skein crochet cowl -mama in […]

2. Hat Size Chart for Preemie through Adult {Free Printable} - Petals to Picots - September 14, 2015

[…] Need a hat to try it out on? Try my free basic striped hat crochet pattern here. […]

3. Beard Hat | Sarah's Crochet Corner - December 17, 2015

[…] hat pattern is courtesy of Kara from petalstopiscots.com. The original pattern can be found here. This pattern is made to change colors, which I chose not to […]

4. Top 10 Patterns of 2015 - Petals to Picots - December 28, 2015

[…] Basic Striped Crochet Hat Pattern […]

5. Weekend Pinspiration: Crochet Hats - February 21, 2016

[…] Basic Striped Crochet Hat […]

6. Gorros para el Hospital de Niños – CrochetingBox - October 1, 2016

[…] por 3,14 para obtener el tamaño de un bebé de 12 meses. Falta incluir el pompón. Basic Striped Hat (Petals and Picots): gorro para un niño de 5 o 6 años. Adapté el borde del gorro realizando una vuelta en medio […]

7. Link Blast: 10 Free Crochet Patterns for Unisex Hats – Make It Crochet - December 16, 2016

[…] 7. Basic Striped Hat by Kara Gunza […]