Basket Weave Knit Dishcloth Pattern

Basket Weave Knit Dishcloth Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #knit #dishcloth #washcloth #pattern #kitchen

I love making dishcloths … they are perfect for when you just want something quick and fun, not to mention a way to add a little freshness and color to your kitchen! I have made so many crochet ones over the years (I have lots of free crochet dishcloth patterns here), so I thought I would share some knit variations for my knitting friends out there. I just love the look and feel of this Basket Weave Knit Dishcloth Pattern. I will be writing up and sharing the pattern for the green washcloth soon too. Enjoy!

Basket Weave Knit Dishcloth Pattern

Here’s what you will need:

• worsted weight cotton yarn
  • 7 US/4.5 mm needles
  • yarn needle and scissors

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Finished dishcloths measure approximately 8 in. × 8 in.

Cast on 36 stitches (I used the long tail cast on method).

Row 1: Slip first st knitwise, knit across.

Row 2: Slip first st knitwise, knit across.

Row 3: Slip first st knitwise, knit 2, purl until 3 sts remain, knit 3.

Row 4: Slip first st purlwise, purl 2, knit 5, *purl 4, knit 4, rep from * until 4 sts remain, knit 1, purl 3.

Row 5:  Slip first st knitwise, knit 2, purl 5, *knit 4, purl 4, rep from * until 4 sts remain, purl 1, knit 3.

Row 6: Repeat Row 4.

Row 7: Repeat Row 5.

Row 8: Slip first st purlwise, purl 2, knit 1, purl 4, *knit 4, purl 4, rep from * until 4 sts remain, knit 1, purl 3.

Row 9:  Slip first st knitwise, knit 2, purl 1, knit 4, *purl 4, knit 4, rep from * until 4 sts remain, purl 1, knit 3.

Row 10: Repeat Row 8.

Row 11: Repeat Row 9.

Rows 12 through 43: Repeat Rows 4 through 11.

Row 44: Slip first st purlwise, purl 2, knit until 3 sts remain, purl 3.

Row 45: Slip first st knitwise, knit across.

Row 46: Slip first st knitwise, knit across.

Bind off and weave in ends.

Block to shape if desired ( see How to Block Knit and Crochet Items).

Click here for more Free Knitting Patterns.

Interested in making this project?
You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

23 Responses to Basket Weave Knit Dishcloth Pattern

1. Linda April 20, 2015 at 8:39 am #

I also love making dishcloths. I am sure I wouldn’t be able to count all the dishcloths I’ve made over the years. At the moment I have a drawer full of them! But all that I’ve made have been crocheted. Thanks for sharing this knit pattern. It will be a good way to improve on my knitting skills! I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:21 pm #

I love them too, Linda 🙂

2. Annette, V April 20, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

I need help please. I am a beginner at knitting and An advanced Crocheter so I am sure I can make this pattern except for one set of terms that has me baffled. At the beginning of each row it says to slip one stitch knit wise. What does this mean? Should I just move the first stitch to the right needle wwwithout doing a yarn over? Love this pattern and the 3 color one too. Time to start making dishcloths I need a lot to put into the church Xmas food baskets plus gifts and even some to sell. Thank you for sharing!

• Judy April 20, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

Put your right needle into the stitch as if you were going to knit it and just slide the stitch across.

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

Thanks so much for jumping in and helping a fellow knitter 🙂

• Ann LaBrie April 20, 2015 at 7:48 pm #

Annette, to slip one stitch knit-wise, insert right-hand needle into the first stitch as if to knit (but don’t) and slip that stitch onto the right-hand needle. To slip one stitch purl-wise, you insert the right-hand needle as if to purl (but don’t purl) and slip it onto the right-hand needle. Hope that makes sense. :o)

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

Thanks so much for jumping in to help 🙂

• Rchel Henderson (UK) April 21, 2015 at 4:33 am #

Yes, you put the right needle into the first loop as if you were intending to knit a stitch, but then just move it to the right needle as you say, without putting the yarn over.

Wish I could crochet but can only do a simple chain. When get to the loops, it ends with a very peculiar shape!

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

Thanks for helping 🙂

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:08 pm #

Hi Annette 🙂 What a great idea to add to church food baskets!! It warms my heart like nothing else to know that readers are using my patterns for such good works! It looks like the other ladies already jumped in to answer your question. Let me know if you need anything else 🙂

3. Alexandra April 20, 2015 at 9:18 pm #

So cute 🙂 I pinned these to my “When I Learn to Knit” board – hehe.

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

Hope you get to use it soon 🙂

4. Carol April 21, 2015 at 6:46 pm #

having trouble finding the directions for the light green one shown with the basket weave.

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:10 pm #

Hi Carol 🙂 That one will be up next week.

5. Marilyn April 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

What a gorgeous dish cloth!

• Kara April 27, 2015 at 10:52 am #

Thank you, Marilyn!

6. Kersten April 23, 2015 at 10:24 am #

I’m always on the lookout for good dishcloth patterns. I’m dying to try this one!! Maybe for my mom for mother’s day?? She’d LOVE!!

• Kara April 27, 2015 at 10:52 am #

That’s a great idea! I hope you (and your mom) love it as much as I do 🙂

7. Lianne April 24, 2015 at 3:54 am #

Rows 12 through 43: Repeat Rows 4 through 11. Sorry I am all so a bit new at this, a. Could you please explain this ste
    p to me

• Kara April 27, 2015 at 10:51 am #

I am sorry … which part are you having trouble with?

• Rachel Henderson September 7, 2015 at 11:52 am #

Rows 4 to 11 form the pattern, so when you have knitted row 12, for the next row, follow instructions for row 4, and so on to Row 11. Repeat those 8 rows that make up the basket pattern until you have actually knitted 43 rows altogether.
      I do hope this helps.
      Rachel in the UK

8. my dronechoice.com February 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

I do not even know how I finished up here, however I believed this put up
    used to be great. I do not recognize who you’re however definitely you are
    going to a well-known blogger for those who aren’t already.
    Cheers!

1. Textured Knit Dishcloth Pattern - Petals to Picots - May 11, 2015

[…] few weeks back I shared the pattern for my Basket Weave Dishcloth (shown above on right). If you missed it, you can get the free knit dishcloth pattern here. So […]