Valentine’s Day Heart Crochet Patterns

heart crochet pattern

Heart Crochet Patterns

• worsted weight yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle

Finished sizes: small = approx. 1½ in., medium = approx. 2½ in., large = approx. 3½ in.

Make a magic ring.

Foundation Round: Ch 1 (does not count as st), working into the ring, work 4 hdc, 3 dc, ch1, Sl st in ring, ch 1, continue working in ring 3 dc, 3 hdc, join with a Sl st to first hdc of round, pull tail of yarn to close up ring — 16 sts. (Makes small heart, continue for medium or large hearts.)

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 1 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 3 dc in next, ch 1, Sl st in Sl st from previous round, ch 1, 3 dc in next st, 2 dc in next, 1 dc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, join — 22 sts. (Makes medium heart, continue for large heart.)

Round 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, 1 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 3 dc in next, 2 hdc in next, ch 1, Sl st in Sl st from previous round, ch 1, 2 hdc in next, 3 dc in next st, 2 dc in next, 1 dc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, join — 30 sts. (Makes large heart.)

Fasten off and weave in ends.
You can add a different touch to the hearts by leaving the center ring open or adding a picot edging.
Picot edging: Join a coordinating color to any st on Round 2, * ch 3, Sl st in furthest ch from hook, sc in next st on Round 2, repeat from * around, join.  Fasten off and weave in ends.
heart 1-1

Now go crazy and be creative … you can do anything!  Stack them, string them, sew them together … adorn a hairband, embellish a hat, piece them together for a scarf or table runner … have fun!

hearts 1-1-2

And if you like these hearts you may also like my hugs and kisses heart basket pattern here.
Hugs and Kisses Heart Crochet Basket

39 Responses to Valentine’s Day Heart Crochet Patterns

1. Cranberry Morning February 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Cute! I’ve gotta pass this along to my daughter. She loves to crochet!

2. Mindie Hilton February 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Very pretty, you can do so many things with a crocheted heart. I just shared a ring I made with one. Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time, good luck.

3. Elisabeth Andrée February 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Hello Kara,
    Nice pattern! I will pin it tomy Pinterest board.

4. Deana February 5, 2012 at 2:27 am #

Thanks so much for linking up to CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet Party!
    Hope to see you next Saturday……Have a blessed week:)

5. Hanni February 5, 2012 at 8:23 am #

This is so cute! I pinned it to my board!
    Have a nice Sunday,

6. Rachel February 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Thank you for adding another pattern for me to try! These hearts are so cute. I hope mine turn out just as well.

7. Susan D February 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Thanks for the pattern. I fancy making a garland :-)

8. Trish - Mom On Timeout February 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Just pinned this! Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

9. Linda February 9, 2012 at 5:16 am #

These are as cute as candy. Thanks for the pattern. Linda

10. Hani@Craftionary February 10, 2012 at 1:46 am #

You are wonderful.. These hearts are so neat and pretty.. Thanks for linking at friday fun party

11. Dani February 11, 2012 at 2:02 am #

Thank you for the walk through! I have been trying for a few weeks now to crochet a heart. . .

12. megan February 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing!! I’m just starting out and it’s always great to get a little help with patterns:)

13. Aimee - February 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

AMAZING! This turned out FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing at my party!!! Happy Valentine’s Day!!! XO, Aimee

14. Waseem May 3, 2012 at 7:41 am #

So cute. I like it.

Send Flowers To Pakistan From Australia
    Send Flowers To Pakistan From Australia
    Send Flowers To Pakistan From Australia

15. Trish October 11, 2012 at 5:01 am #

I love your heart pattern. It is very simple, uses little yarn, and looks fantastic. I will use them as hang tags on charity hats/blankets that I knit for the premature infants at our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Thanks a bunch for posting it.

16. Anonymous December 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Thanks, this is the easiest heart pattern I’ve ever used and it always come out perfectly!

17. Linda January 30, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Wonderful instructions! Thanks! I shared with my friends on pinterest.

18. online florist February 7, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Thanks a lot for giving everyone such a special opportunity to read from this web site. It is usually very awesome and as well
    online florists

19. Kayla February 12, 2013 at 5:02 am #

Thanks for the pattern! I used this as a part of an adorable earflap hat. Here is a link to my blog where I linked this pattern. Thanks again~

20. Tara aka Bunny February 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

I have a hard time understanding the patterns. Do you have a video making this one? Your work is adorable.

• Kara @ Petals to Picots February 14, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Hi Tara! Unfortunately, I do not have a video for making these. Which part was confusing? I can try to help. You can email me directly at

• rachel February 14, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

it says to make a magic ring, and then the video says to refer to pattern which I did but I don’t know how many to chain for the magic ring did I miss something? I guessed and my heart is lopsided, so confused.

• Kara February 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

Hi Rachel :) After you make the magic ring, ch 1 and then work the foundation round stitches into the ring. If the magic ring is throwing you off, perhaps try to loosely ch 2 and then work the foundation round into the 2nd chain from hook. Hope that helps :)

21. Preeti April 15, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Hi Kara, I have used your heart pattern and made a cute little stuffed one :) do visit my latest post to see.

22. Swapna January 17, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

Adorable heart pattern. Making a few for appliqué. Will post pics for you to see!

23. Dawn January 16, 2015 at 4:57 pm #

These are so cute and so simple, thank you for sharing the pattern! My younger daughter is getting into crochet with me and wants to try these too. I am going to experiment with all sorts of Valentine’s Day colors – it will be fun :) Not sure what we are going to use them for yet, but we will figure that out later.

• Kara January 18, 2015 at 9:26 pm #

Hope you both enjoy them!

24. Ila Treat February 3, 2015 at 7:20 pm #

Came up with a new way to use your heart pattern: I made some in sport weight sock yarn (red of course!) using an F hook, and sewed them on over the elbow holes in a favorite old black sweater. Elbow patches! (I had to make a couple extra rounds to make them big enough – based on your previous rounds increases) I used the tail of the yarn to sew them on. Pretty cute if I do say so – and my dear old sweater gets to last awhile longer!

• Kara February 6, 2015 at 10:10 am #

Oh how cute! What a great idea :)

25. ginny July 7, 2015 at 4:48 pm #

looking for the pattern to the heart done in roses but can’t find it-can anyone help please??

1. Free Valentine’s Day Knitting and Crochet Patterns | Deramores - February 6, 2014

[…] is also giving away the free patterns for her gorgeous easy-to-follow heart designs, including a wonderfully simple heart granny square too! Create your own cosy blanket to snuggle up […]

2. Valentine's Day Free Crochet Patterns - Crochet Tutorial - January 15, 2015

[…] Valentine’s Day Heart Crochet Patterns […]

3. Free Valentine’s Crochet Projects | Poochie Baby - February 4, 2015

[…] looking at…….. Girls’ Valentine’s Day Hat Valentine Headband Kissy Lips Valentine’s Day Heart Valentine Roses Have a very happy Valentine’s Day!! Poochie Baby has many patterns […]

4. Easy Crochet Heart Pattern - Repeat Crafter Me - August 19, 2015

[…] a heart that you can crochet in rounds, HERE is a nice pattern by Kara at Petals to […]

5. Free Crochet Patterns: Valentine Crochet - - September 21, 2015