Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern

Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #fiber

Yay for color changes without lots of ends to weave in!! The new Caron Cakes self-striping yarn makes multi-color projects effortless.

As you may have seen on Instagram, I was sent some of these cakes to try out and have been having so much fun with them. Once I felt how soft they were I knew I had to make something cozy I could wrap myself up in … hence the Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern came to be. I just love the striking pops of blue!

Petals to Picots on Instagram

Caron Cakes are available exclusively at Michaels, and they even have a great look book filled with colorful inspiration, color choices, and projects, as well as free patterns.

Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern

Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #fiber

Here is what you will need:

• 2 balls Caron Cakes worsted weight yarn (383 yd. each; shown here in the Cake Pop colorway)
  • H hook/5 mm
  • scissors and yarn needle

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations or here to reference Crochet Stitch Symbols.

Available as a convenient, ad-free pdf download here.

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Finished shawl measures approximately 68 in. wide and 34 in. long

Ch 2.

Row 1: In second ch from hook work [1 sc, ch 1, 1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc, ch 1, 1 sc], turn — 4 sc.

Row 2: Ch 1, work 1 sc in first st, ch 1, 1 sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, [1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc] in center ch-2 sp, ch 1, 1 sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, work 1 sc in last st, turn — 6 sc.

Row 3 (single crochet row repeat): Ch 1, work 1 sc in first st, ch 1, *1 sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1,** repeat from * to ** to center ch-2 sp, [1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc] in center ch-2 sp, ch 1, work * to ** to end, work 1 sc in last st, turn — 8 sc.

Rows 4 through 10: Repeat Row 3, ending with 22 sc in Row 10.

Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #fiber

Row 11 (double crochet row repeat): Ch 4 (counts as dc + ch 1 here and throughout), **work 1 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1,** repeat from * to ** to center ch-2 sp, [1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc] in center ch-2 sp, ch 1, work * to ** to end, work 1 dc in last st, turn — 24 dc.

Rows 12 through 14: Repeat Row 3, ending with 30 sc in Row 14.

Row 15: Ch 4, **work 1 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1,** repeat from * to ** to center ch-2 sp, [1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc] in center ch-2 sp, ch 1, work * to ** to end, work 1 dc in last st, turn — 32 dc.

Repeat the following pattern sequence 4 times for a total of 75 rows (152 sts) or until you reach within 2 inches of your desired length …

• 10 rows of single crochet row repeat
  • 1 row double crochet row repeat
  • 3 rows of single crochet row repeat
  • 1 row double crochet row repeat

Ending Rows: Work 7 rows of single crochet row repeat.

Edging Row: Do not turn, ch 1, work 1 reverse sc (also known as crab st) in first st, ch 1  *1 rev sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1,** repeat from * to ** to center ch-2 sp, [1 rev sc, ch 2, 1 rev sc] in center ch-2 sp, ch 1, work * to ** to end, work 1 rev sc in last st.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #fiber

If you like, you can add some fun tassels to center and end points as shown in the shawl above or just leave it as is. See my tutorial How to Make a Tassel … Quickly and Easily.

21 Responses to Cozy Striped Shawl Crochet Pattern

1. Sandra Favre October 24, 2016 at 7:40 am #

I love this beautiful pattern that you have made so well. The Caron’s yarn is so pretty! Unfortunately, Michaels don’t send the yarn outside the USA and I live in Switzerland. I found these yarns on ebay, but of course they cost more and the postage is atrocious…
    Do you have any ideas on getting this yarn sent my way? Thank you!

• Kara October 27, 2016 at 5:33 pm #

Hi Sandra 🙂 Unfortunately, I do not know how to purchase the yarn outside the US. Sorry 🙁

2. Karen October 24, 2016 at 9:10 am #

Thank you so much for the pattern. I don’t have a Michael’s near me and was sent two cakes of this awesome yarn by a friend. I didn’t know what to make with it and so?was pleased to see your pattern. Again thanks for the wonderful pattern. Can’t wait to try this yarn now!

• Kara October 27, 2016 at 5:33 pm #

How wonderful! Hope you enjoy the pattern!!

3. Mary Baribeau October 24, 2016 at 9:19 am #

Beautiful shawl pattern. Can’t wait to see more patterns! When I can afford and have the time to work on this pattern, I’m going to do so. Thank you for all the great designs you have made. As always they are exceptional quality.

• Kara October 27, 2016 at 5:32 pm #

Thank you, Mary! So glad you like it!!

4. Carolee October 24, 2016 at 9:20 am #

Your shawl is beautiful! How do you ensure your color striping turns out so perfectly with self striping yarn?

• Kara October 27, 2016 at 5:32 pm #

The striping didn’t always work out evenly across the rows. The linen stitch was very forgiving for this. For the grays, the color changes don’t really show. But the blue and white is a bit more noticeable.

5. Ruth October 24, 2016 at 2:09 pm #

You are fortunate to have had them send you some free.I’m an elderly woman on, as they say, fixed income and this yarn is expensive. I’d love to be able to buy two to make my grandaughter this shawl. She’s asked for one for her birthday. Do you think that if I make it smaller….it’s for a dgd who will turn just 10…that I could use just one cake

• Sandra Favre October 27, 2016 at 1:14 am #

Ruth, when I can’t afford a specific yarn, I just do the same pattern in a yarn that is more affordable!

• Kara October 27, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

Hi Ruth 🙂 Unfortunately, I am not sure how many balls you would need to make a smaller version. Since the yarn has color changes built into it, you could probably mix it with some yarn you already have on hand and it would look like it all works together.

6. Diana October 26, 2016 at 10:38 pm #

Just finished this as a gift for my niece. It just so happens I was looking for a pattern to use my Cake Pop yarn. Loved that I could see how it was going to turn out and it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing this pattern.

• Kara October 27, 2016 at 5:36 pm #

Yay!! So glad you liked it!!

7. Jackie November 5, 2016 at 10:30 am #

Hi Kara,
    Can you tell me how many single crochets go into round 16? I’m not sure how many to work into the large spaces from row 15.
    Thank you!

• Kara November 9, 2016 at 9:55 am #

Row 16 should end with 34 sts. You will still be working the sc crochet row as before.

8. Julie November 13, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

Just finished my shawl in ” funfetti”. Used the h hook as well, I probably crochet with a tighter tension ,used all of the yarn and improvised with the last few rows (double crochet,then single ,then double then the edging. Thanks for the pattern .

9. Pkstar78 November 16, 2016 at 9:52 am #

Oh dear im so mad that i decided to get only 1 cake in this color, now do you think i can make it with just 1 roll?
    Im not living in states so getting more is almost impossible😓

• Kara November 16, 2016 at 10:36 am #

Hello 🙂 Unfortunately I don’t think one cake will be enough. Perhaps you can pair it with some coordinating yarn from your stash for an even more unique striping effect!

10. Bonny Bates May 26, 2017 at 8:34 pm #

Caron Cakes are sold at Michael’s here in Canada. I have a lot of colors and at least 2 or three of each. Unfortunately I don’t have that one. I didn’t think I would like that one with blue and brown together. Now that I see your beautiful creation I realize I was wrong on the coloring. Back to the store I go again. Thank you so much for the pattern.

1. Petals to Picots Top Patterns of 2016 - Petals to Picots - December 26, 2016

[…] Cozy Striped Shawl […]

2. Roundup: Best of the Best 2016: 16 Most Popular Free Crochet Patterns with Links to Over 100 More! | Underground Crafter - January 6, 2017

[…] Cozy Striped Shawl by @petalstopicots. Get links to Kara’s 9 most popular free patterns here. […]