Sea Glass Crochet Afghan Pattern

Sea Glass Crochet Afghan Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #afghan #blanket #pattern

I am absolutely in love with this crochet afghan pattern! Working on this blanket has been such a joy with its simple and repetitive stitch pattern that lets your mind wander as you work … so restorative and meditative. I also love the colors which remind me so much of sea glass. Hope you love it as much as I do!

Sea Glass Crochet Afghan Pattern

Here’s what you will need:

• H hook
  • 3 colors of worsted weight yarn — I used Berroco Comfort in Robins Egg 9714 (5 skeins; 1,050 yds), Turquoise 9733 (5 skeins; 1,050 yds), and Honeyberry Heather 9790  (4 skeins; 840 yds)
  • scissors and yarn needle

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations or here to reference Crochet Stitch Symbols.

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Finished afghan measures 54 in. wide × 73 in. long but can be customized to any width by working any even number of stitches.

Note: Carry colors up the side of your work, do not fasten off at the end of each row.

With CA, chain 154 sts (or work a Foundation Double Crochet of 152 sts as shown in my tutorial here and continue to Row 2).

Row 1: Work 1 dc in 4th ch from hook and each chain across, turn and drop CA — 152 dc.

Row 2: With CB, ch 1 (does not count as stitch here and throughout), work 1 sc in top of first dc, ch 2, *skip next 2 dc and work 1 sc between the 2nd skipped dc and the next dc, ch 2, repeat from * across, ending with 1 sc in top of the turning chain, turn and drop CB — 76 sc and 75 ch-2 sps.

Row 3: With CC, ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 2 dc in next ch-2 sp and each ch-2 sp across, work 1 dc in last sc, turn and drop CC — 152 dc.

Rows 4 through 155: Repeat stitch pattern from Rows 2 and 3, but continuing with color sequence CA, CB, CC, through Row 155 or until desired length is reached.

Fasten off all colors.

Edging

Round 1: With right side of your afghan facing you, join CA and work a sc edging around afghan. Work 1 sc in each st across top and bottom; 3 sc in each corner; and 2 sc along side edge of each dc row and 1 sc along side edge of each sc row. Join and fasten off.

Round 2: Join CB in the back loop of any sc and ch 2 (counts as hdc), work 1 hdc in the back loop of each st around, working 4 hdc in each corner. Join and fasten off.

Round 3: Join CA (as shown in photo; or CC if desired instead) in the back loop of any hdc and ch 1, work 1 sc in each st around, working 2 sc in each of the middle 2 sts of each corner.  Join and fasten off.

Weave in ends.

Interested in making this project?
You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

You may also like …

42 Responses to Sea Glass Crochet Afghan Pattern

1. Brenda September 21, 2015 at 7:01 am #

This is really nice! I’m not much of a crocheter but someday I’d love to make an afghan. This one is so nice and with a little help, I bet I could make it. Thanks for the pattern.

• Kara September 21, 2015 at 11:02 am #

My pleasure, Brenda 🙂

2. Debi Y. September 21, 2015 at 9:06 am #

It’s very pretty – the colors are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. 🙂

• Kara September 21, 2015 at 11:02 am #

3. Elizabeth Rivera September 21, 2015 at 10:25 am #

What a beautiful afgan, I think this would lovely in my granddaughter’s room. She has it decorated with a beach scenary.

• Kara September 21, 2015 at 11:02 am #

So glad you like it!

4. Kathy September 21, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

I can’t get the pdf to download. Beautiful afghan…

5. Laurie September 21, 2015 at 2:04 pm #

Took me about 2 minutes after I saw this to order the yarn. Love the pattern and the colors, thank you!!

6. Crystal @ Hello Creative Family September 22, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

So in love with this! I’m getting ready to share it on my facebook page and I think I may attempt to make it this fall! I’ve never attempted a project this big. I have a question for you about switching colors. Do you have a link to your favorite way to do this? Do you cut and tie off between each color or is there a way to carry your color with you? I never like the way it looks when I switch colors.

• Kara September 22, 2015 at 4:34 pm #

Hi Crystal 🙂 The beauty of this one is that you can carry the colors up the sides of the blanket … no need to fasten off and weave in a bunch of ends … yay!

7. Liska September 30, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

hanks! The pattern is fantastic – just perfect for the baby blanket I am planning to dió on my holidays!
    Best
    Liska

8. Kathy October 15, 2015 at 10:24 am #

What a nice pattern that will be easy and fast to make since the colors are carried up the sides….hence there is no having a million ends to weave in once finished. I hate weaving in a ton of ends!
    I crochet blankets for Project Linus, so the faster I am at completing a blanket, the more blankets I can make for this wonderful charity. It looks like a great pattern that I can use college colors and also the professional team colors of sports teams to make blankets that the boys will like. Project Linus seems to also be in need for boy blankets.
    Thanks so much for posting your pattern! I so appreciate it!

9. Alice October 15, 2015 at 11:05 am #

If I wanted to make a smaller blanket, what is the stitch count? Love this and the colors are beautiful.

10. Isabel Freeman November 5, 2015 at 4:59 pm #

thank you so much for a beautiful afghan! I would have posted a photo of mine but cant. I used red heart super saver yarn in Navy, light Periwinkle and variegated Monet. Even my partner loves it-as I do.(i have photos on facebook)

• Tracey April 9, 2016 at 11:44 pm #

I am having a hard time keeping my edges from increasing. Any suggestions? I feel like I am following the pattern exactly but have had to remove multiple rows.

• Kara April 12, 2016 at 6:23 pm #

Hi Tracey 🙂 Make sure you are working the last single crochet of one row into the top of the beginning chain of the previous row. If you still feel like your edges are crooked, when you add your edging it should smooth things out. Hope that helps.

11. Kim April 12, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

I don’t know if you can help but my edges are not straight. When looking at it the edges angleing – so it is not square. – but each row has the exact same # of stitches. Can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong – any ideas?? Thanks

• Kara April 12, 2016 at 6:20 pm #

Hi Kim 🙂 I’m not really sure why the edges seem off, especially since you have the correct number of stitches for each row. The only thing I can think is that perhaps you aren’t working the last single crochet of one row into the top of the beginning chain of the previous row. Either way though, when you add your edging it should smooth things out. Hope that helps.

12. Tracey April 28, 2016 at 11:58 pm #

I finished it! A Seattle Seahawks inspired blanket for my daughter’s school art raffle. LOVE the pattern (even my husband likes the finished project!). Wish I could post a picture. Thanks for the pattern. I will use it many times in the future.

13. Jane May 6, 2016 at 11:05 am #

I love the combination color of this blanket. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

• Kara May 10, 2016 at 9:55 am #

14. Kim Guzman September 9, 2016 at 11:58 am #

Your content has been stolen here: http://crochetwitheasy.blogspot.com/2016/09/sea-glass-crochet-afghan-pattern.html

15. Amanda September 19, 2016 at 4:56 pm #

Hi. I love this pattern. My sister loves sea glass and she just bought a new house and decorated it all in sea glass type colors so I figured this be perfect for her. But I have a question: I’m about 40 rows in and the blanket’s not even close to being 73 inches. My width was a little short too so I figured my stitches must be tighter than yours so I gradually loosened up my grip. I bought all the yarn you suggested so I was trying to figure out how long the blanket should be before adding the border so I don’t run out. Is your count of 55 rows maybe just the double crochet rows?
    Thanks.

• Kara September 21, 2016 at 9:55 am #

Hi Amanda 🙂 You are correct. It should say 155 rows, not 55 rows. I have corrected it now … sorry for the typo and confusion!!

• Amanda September 21, 2016 at 4:25 pm #

Excellent! That makes do much more sense. Thank you!

16. Carol C. October 5, 2016 at 11:26 am #

I found this pattern after work and felt I had to try it immediately. Only problem I had with it was I kept trying to put double crochet inn where the single crochet stitches belonged. I guess I was more tired than I thought.

17. Katherine Arsenault October 10, 2016 at 12:00 pm #

I love the colors. Please, if I wanted to make a smaller blanket, what is the stitch count?

18. Chris December 29, 2016 at 12:28 pm #

I really love this pattern. I’m doing it in the same colors as a baby blanket for a little boy. I think I will do a pink one next. Thank you for the wonderful graph. That really helped. Happy hookin y’all.

19. tina February 22, 2017 at 8:33 am #

thank you for the pattern I love it ! Here is my finished afghan

20. Jessica Sather March 2, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

Such a lovely blanket, and clear pattern to follow! It seems like my blanket it’a getting wider as I go on though!

1. How to Work a Foundation Double Crochet {Photo Tutorial} - Petals to Picots - September 21, 2015

[…] chains too tightly. They are also great for larger projects, like an afghans (like my free Sea Glass Afghan pattern here), where a long chain can become […]

2. Trending In Crochet #3 | The Purple Poncho - September 24, 2015

[…] Sea Glass Crochet Afghan Pattern by Petals to Picots […]

3. 40+ Hot New Crochet Patterns This Week (and more link love!) | - September 26, 2015

[…] Glass crochet afghan free pattern from Petals to […]

4. 100+ New Free Crochet Patterns | - October 12, 2015

[…] Glass crochet afghan free pattern from Petals to […]

5. 35+ Cozy and Comfy Crochet Blanket Patterns | - January 28, 2016

[…] Glass crochet afghan free pattern from Petals to […]

6. 17 Striped Crochet Patterns | - February 2, 2016

[…] Glass crochet afghan free pattern from Petals to Picots. Simple stitches, easy color changes and a lovely striping idea combine to […]

7. 12 Free and Cute Baby Blanket Crochet Patterns - May 21, 2016

[…] (Free pattern: Petals to Picots) […]

8. Unique Baby Blanket Crochet Patterns - June 28, 2016

[…] (Free pattern: Petals to Picots) […]

9. 27+ Projects That Will Make You Want To Learn To Crochet - Hello Creative Family - August 9, 2016

[…] Sea Glass Crochet Afghan Pattern from Petals to Picots […]