Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week!

Learn Tunisian Crochet in a week

A little like crochet … a little like knitting … this is the beauty of Tunisian Crochet.

I recently added a Tunisian Crochet 101 class to my repertoire at my local yarn store and thought I would share my lessons with you here. So get out your hook and let’s learn Tunisian!

Introduction to Tunisian Crochet

Yarn and Hook Sizing

Tunisian Crochet is notorious for curling, especially on the beginning edge. My biggest tip to combat this is to make sure you are using a large enough hook size for your yarn weight. There is a bit of trial and error and personal preference that goes into this. For instance, I find a J or K hook works well for me with worsted weight yarn. If your piece is still curling a bit, no worries … I have a couple solutions to share with you later: edging and blocking.

Tunisian Stitches (1 of 24)

Starting Out … Your Foundation Row

As in traditional crochet, your Tunisian project will begin with a starting chain. But unlike traditional crochet, the number of beginning chains worked should equal to the number of stitches you want in your first row (there are no extra turning chains worked).

Tip: If your beginning chain is too tight, you may want to start with a larger hook size.

Every row of Tunisian Crochet consists of two steps: a forward pass and a reverse pass. You will work with the right side facing you throughout.

Forward Pass

When working your first row, you will be pulling up a loop in each chain across. You can work in a couple different parts of your chain (e.g., top loop, back ridge, top loop and ridge). To give your foundation edge the same look as your finishing edge, you would work in the back ridge (or bump) of chain.

Tunisian Stitches - chain top loop

Tunisian Stitches back of chain
Insert hook into second chain from hook, yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue in each chain across.

Tunisian Stitches (4 of 24)

Tunisian Stitches (5 of 24)

Tunisian Stitches (6 of 24)

Basic Return Pass

The Basic Return Pass is what you will use most of the time. To work the Basic Return Pass, yarn over and pull through one loop, then yarn over and pull through 2 loops for the rest of the row until you have one loop left on your hook.

Tunisian Stitches (7 of 24)

Tunisian Stitches (8 of 24)

Tunisian Stitches (9 of 24)

You have now completed your foundation row!

Tunisian Simple Stitch →

If you are interested in purchasing Tunisian crochet supplies, you can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

38 Responses to Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week!

1. SallyStrawberry November 4, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Brilliant series, thanks! Just managed my first row and can’t wait for tomorrow! 🙂

2. Anabel November 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Muchas gracias

• Kara November 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

My pleasure 🙂

3. Terri Betz November 4, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Thanks! Very excited to learn from you! Trying it now! You rock!

• Kara November 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Hope you find it helpful!!

4. Ana BC November 4, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Wonderful Tutorial, Kara! I learned Tunisian a while ago, but you have encouraged me to pick the “T-hook” again. I have a little project in mind…

• Kara November 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Ooooh … Can’t wait to see it Ana!

5. Julie Corbisiero November 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

Hi and thanks for sharing this tutorial! I have been wanting to learn this for a while. I will try and look at this and learn it.
    Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

• Kara November 6, 2013 at 9:32 am #

Hope it’s helpful!

6. Debbie C. November 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Thank you for your tutorial. I am doing it right now. I love to learn new stitches. What kind of things could you make with it? I am making a small hot pad now.

• Kara November 15, 2013 at 10:40 am #

There are so many different items that can be made with Tunisian crochet. I have seen patterns for afghans, sweaters,etc. 🙂

7. Dianne November 26, 2013 at 10:27 am #

this is great, thank you so much. i absolute despise video tutorials, so seeing it all written out with pictures works great for me. looking forward to trying this and some of your other patterns as well!

8. Edna Braun January 9, 2014 at 11:25 am #

love the way u make it so easy to follow. But ware do I get the needle to make this and how to change colors.

• Kara January 14, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

Hi Edna 🙂 You can find the Tunisian hooks at any yarn store or even online. As for changing colors, I hope to have a tutorial up for that soon.

9. Rhonda March 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

Thank you! Finally a site i can understand. I love your projects!!

10. Cary Wolking March 25, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

I sent you a message on Etsy yesterday about your pattern for baby clutch balls…Love, buying soon. I just want to say thanks for sharing your joy of crochet and your knowledge. I’ve always wanted to learned Tunisian and if anyone could teach me you can!

11. Linda April 17, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Hi Kara, I am trying this technique for the first time. I started with 10 stitches on a regular J hook just for practice. When i did the return pass, there was not only the tail of yarn, but the knot from the slip stitch sort of sticking out, is this correct? From the pictures it looks like it is. I had 10 loops on the hook before I went back across following your instructions. Want to make sure I got it right before trying something larger. Thanks so much, LOVE your site!!

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

Yes, it sounds like you got it. You should have 10 stitches 🙂

12. Marl April 21, 2014 at 6:28 am #

TC has so many different stitch patterns – some look like knit and others like crochet and then both k and c combined!

There is an online Tunisian Crochet group, for those interested in learning more.

I think wherever learning is available is good to enjoy!

Picture: you’re knitting a sweater and then decide to do a few rows of a TC pattern … and then a different look by crocheting.

For anyone interested in another technique, look up Knooking. That’s knitting with a crochet hook.

Thanks, Kara, for sharing so much of yourself.

13. Lynn April 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

What type of crochet hook do you use for the Tunisian crochet?

• Kara April 27, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

Hi Lynn 🙂 There are special hooks for Tunisian that are longer or have an extension that you can put on if you need more room for stitches. I like the Denise Interchangeables Hooks.

14. Lisa May 18, 2014 at 2:49 am #

Hi Kara,

I have seen some Tunisian stitch patterns, and I find them to be gorgeous!!! I have been aching to learn how to do Tunisian Crochet. I have been crocheting for years and years. When I was about 8 years old I learned how to knit, I did that until I was about 13 and then found out how to crochet. I was hooked, no pun intended! I have seen some video tutorials, but I found the way you do it with pictures is so much easier to follow (no rush to keep up and no reversing to make sure I have it right). I find Tunisian Crocheting so easy! An in a way, I feel like I am knitting (with one needle…LOL!). I have learned how to do the simple stitch so far and I love the look of it. I am really excited to learn so much more. Thank you so much! Keep up the great work!!

Sincerely,
    Lisa ♥♥♥

• Kara May 18, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

My pleasure, Lisa!! So happy to hear you are loving it 🙂

15. Lori June 15, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

I just wanted to thank you for this tutorial. I started this graph pattern and I have already 27 rows and I have been picking up on the last stitch I pick up 2 stitches instead of one. I don’t want to have to take it all out again is there away to fix it without taking it all out. Please help in a jam. Thank you for your time and help.

16. Marilyn September 17, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Pinned ’cause I’ve always wanted to learn this technique! Thanks for the tutorial.

• Kara September 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks so much, Marilyn!

17. Doreen August 8, 2016 at 10:52 pm #

Is there a hook that I could use for this stitch that is more ergonomic? I would love to learn this, but have a hard time holding a standard hook due to arthritis and surgeries.

18. Jackie Benson April 3, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

This reminds me of the afghan stitch. Do you think it is similar? Love the patterns.

• Kara April 3, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

Yes! Tunisian Simple Stitch is also called the Afghan Stitch 🙂

1. Tunisian Crochet Tie for Dad | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - June 14, 2014

[…] Here is a unique twist on a traditional gift for dad or the man in your life! This Tunisian crochet tie will definitely add a fun, handmade touch to his dress outfit or his everyday suit and tie routine. You can work it in his favorite colors or pick colors from his favorite team or his company’s brand colors. There are so many ways to make this tie truly personalized and special for him. If you have never tried Tunisian crochet and would like to learn, check out my Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week series here. […]

2. How to do Tunisian Simple Stitch - Petals to Picots - September 17, 2014

[…] Crochet basics as well as how to work our foundation row.  If you missed it, you can click here to go back. Today we will focus on how to do Tunisian Simple Stitch (abbreviated as […]

3. Tunisian Crochet Beginner Tutorials – New Craft Works - May 14, 2015

[…] Read this tutorial HERE. […]

4. Leaf Tunisian Crochet Dishcloth Pattern - Petals to Picots - September 19, 2016

[…] If you’re new to Tunisian crochet or just want a bit of a refresher, you can check out my free series Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week! […]

5. Pumpkin Tunisian Crochet Dishcloth Pattern - Petals to Picots - September 26, 2016

[…] And if you are new to Tunisian crochet or just feeling a bit rusty, you can check out my free series Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week! […]

6. Apple Tunisian Crochet Dishcloth Pattern - Petals to Picots - December 15, 2016

7. Tunisian Crochet Monthly Dishcloth Crochet Along .... January - Petals to Picots - January 3, 2017

[…] If you haven’t yet tried Tunisian crochet this crochet along gives you the perfect opportunity to learn! You can check out my free series Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week. […]

8. Tunisian Crochet Monthly Dishcloth Crochet Along .... February - Petals to Picots - February 27, 2017

[…] will give you the perfect opportunity to learn and practice … check out my free series Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week to learn the […]

9. Tunisian Crochet Monthly Dishcloth Crochet Along .... March - Petals to Picots - March 29, 2017

[…] Just joining us? You can learn more about our Tunisian Dishcloth Crochet Along you can get all the details in my post here. And don’t be discouraged if you have never tried Tunisian crochet; this is the perfect opportunity to learn! You can check out my free series Learn Tunisian Crochet in a Week. […]