Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 1: The Grannies

Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 1: The Grannies

I am usually not one to rush into the holidays … I love to linger in Autumn as long as possible, with its crisp and colorful days and the bounty of Thanksgiving. But I wanted to give you plenty of time to work up this pretty crochet Christmas tree skirt pattern. This has been my labor of love in recent weeks and it was so worth every stitch!

Since this pattern has a bunch of parts to write up, and I want to make it as clear and easy as possible to follow for you, I decided to break it up into sections kind of like a crochet along. That way you can get started on this first part while I am translating the rest of my scribbled notes into a clear pattern 🙂 And I’ve timed it out so you can get it all done by Thanksgiving so you will be all ready for your Christmas decorating. I hope you love it as much as I do!

Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern

Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 1: The Grannies

• red and white worsted weight cotton yarn (approx. 710 yds each, I used less than one skein each of Bernat Handicrafter in White and Country Red <- affiliate links)
  • an H hook
  • scissors and a tapestry needle

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations or here to reference Crochet Stitch Symbols.

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Finished grannies measure approximately 10¼ in. × 10¼ in. each. Finished tree skirt measures approximately 46 in. from each point to the opposite point.

Granny Squares (make 6)

With white yarn, make a magic ring. (As an alternative to the magic ring method, you can ch 4 and join in furthest ch from hook to form a ring.)

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in ring, ch 3, *3 dc in ring, ch 3, repeat from *twice more, join in top of beg ch, drop white — 12 sts.

Round 2: Join red in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, ch 2 *[3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, ch 2, rep from * twice more, join in top of beg ch, drop red — 24 sts.

Round 3: Join white yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, join in top of beg ch, drop white — 36 sts.

Round 4: Join red yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, join in top of beg ch, drop red — 48 sts.

Round 5: Join white yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, join in top of beg ch, drop white — 60 sts.

Round 6: Join red yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, join in top of beg ch, drop red — 72 sts.

Round 7: Join white yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, join in top of beg ch, drop white — 84 sts.

Round 8: Join red yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work [2 dc , ch 3, 3 dc] in same ch-3 sp, *ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, rep from * twice more, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, join in top of beg ch — 96 sts.

Round 9: Continuing on with red yarn, ch 1 (does not count as st), work 1 sc in same st as join and next 2 sts, *work 3 sc in corner ch-3 sp, work 1 sc in each st and in each ch-1 sp across to next corner, rep from * around, join and fasten off — 136 sts.

Repeat for a total of 6 granny squares. Join squares through the center single crochet of corners as shown below (joins are indicated in red). You can either use the join as you go (JAYGO) method  or just use a tapestry needle and red thread to stitch them together. Weave in ends.

granny joining

Picture1

Have fun!

Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 2: The Star →

If you are interested in making this project, you can also help support my blog through the affiliate links below …

48 Responses to Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 1: The Grannies

1. Jeanne November 3, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Hi! What a fantastic tree skirt. I really like that you created it with grannies and incorporate that neat looking star and fun border. I’m hoping to find some time to make this myself (fingers crossed). I do have a question. How much of the yarn that you listed do you need to complete the project? I may not be able to get that particular yarn and want to know how much might I need of a substitute brand. Thanks so much!

• Kara November 3, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Hi Jeanne 🙂 I don’t know the exact yardage used from each skein but I definitely had a good amount left over. I would say a little less more than half of each was used.

• Jeanne November 3, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

Thanks so much, Kara! I appreciate your feedback. 🙂

2. Stasi November 3, 2014 at 11:26 am #

This is awesome, but I’m a tad overwhelmed by the directions (I’m not much of a pattern reader). These are just normal granny squares one row red, one row white for 8 rounds with a border, right?

What’s the schedule look like to have it done by Thanksgiving, How should i pace myself to finish these squares in time for the next installment?

Will the 710 Yds each do the whole skirt or just the squares?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just dying to dive in 🙂

• Kara November 3, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

Yep, just normal granny squares so far alternating red and white. I am hoping to have the star center next Monday and then the outer edging the following Monday. And yes, that yardage is for the whole entire project

3. Marilyn November 3, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

Kara, this tree skirt is absolutely GORGEOUS!

• Kara November 3, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

Thank you, Marilyn!

4. Jana November 3, 2014 at 11:46 pm #

Hi. I love this skirt! So unique. I have a question. I absolutely hate finishing off and attaching a new color! I also don’t like all the resulting ends to weave in. Is it possible to add the new color in the usual way and crochet over the ends? I am making a granny square throw right now and am deliberately using only one color! I simply slip stitch to the next corner.
    Thanks!

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Hi Jana 🙂 I have a little cheat I do … at the end of each round I slip stitch behind my work with the color I am dropping, kinda like tacking it back there out of the way, then I pick up my new color and continue and do the same when I’m done with that one. Hope that helps!

• Carole November 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

how do you slip stitch behind the work?

• Kimberly McAllister May 18, 2016 at 10:02 pm #

Hi Kara, This is so very pretty. I have been looking for a tree skirt to make for awhile. I knew as soon as I saw yours my search had ended! I am reading the comments to see if I can pick any tips before starting.
        Do you mean that you slip stitch a few stitches behind your work and then just fasten off? Is there no need to weave in the ends after this? Or are you leaving the dropped color attached and just picking it back up when you are ready for it?
        Thanks!
        And Thanks for sharing all your patterns. I am making a set of your dishcloths now. I will be sure to click on some links while I am here 🙂

• Kara May 24, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Hi Kimberly 🙂 Yes, I slip stitch to the back of my work to get the yarn secured and out of the way before starting a new color, but I don’t fasten off. Instead, I just drop the color to pick up again when I need it. Definitely helps eliminate weaving in all those ends!

5. Preeti November 4, 2014 at 8:07 am #

It’s lovely, Kara!:) thanks for sharing!

• Kara November 7, 2014 at 7:28 am #

My pleasure, Preeti!

6. Kristina and Millie November 4, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

Beautiful Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt! Appreciate your sharing this pattern with us and I plan to come back for the other pieces!

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

Thanks so much!

7. Liliana November 5, 2014 at 5:51 am #

It’s a beatiful work… 🙂 🙂

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

Thank you, Liliana!

8. Deanna November 5, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Hi, thank you for this free pattern! Is there a benefit to using cotton yarn rather than acrylic?

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Not really … I just felt like the cotton would be more durable.

9. Theresa Pearson November 5, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

I had to order yarn – as soon as it gets here, I’m in!

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Awesome!

10. Diane November 5, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

I’m so excited! I’ve been looking for a good tree skirt pattern, this is beautiful. Off to amazon (clicking link above) to get my yarn.

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

Yay! So glad you are joining in!

11. Jill November 6, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

Question, is this a completely joined star? Or is there a slit in it somewhere?

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Yes, there is a slit to get it around the tree 🙂

• Jill November 6, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

I was thinking i’d have to put it around the tree base before i put the tree in, and I was like, that’s cool, but I don’t plan that far in advance 🙂

Good picture, hiding the slit 🙂

12. Geralyn November 6, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

Hi!! Could you tell me the dimensions of the finished skirt!! I want to make sure it will be big enough!! 🙂 thanks!!

• Carole November 7, 2014 at 6:59 am #

Yes I would like to know how big it is also. Thanks in advance

• Kara November 7, 2014 at 7:31 am #

It measures 46 in. from each point to the opposite point.

13. LilAFanjel November 7, 2014 at 2:52 am #

Question? Row 9 says to sc in each stitch around and in each ch-1 sp along the edge but rows 2-8 it call for ch-2 sp? Could you please clarify since it looks like a miscalculated amount of stitches may mess up the star. Thanks!

• Kara November 7, 2014 at 7:34 am #

Row 8 doesn’t use the ch-2 spaces like the previous rounds, instead it calls for ch-1 spaces. Therefore, Row 9 works 1 sc in each of the ch-1 spaces. Make sense?

14. Katbalu November 7, 2014 at 11:42 am #

This is stunning!!

Do you plan on doing a tutorial video for it? Or have one done?

I can’t follow a pattern and make it come out right to save my soul LOL I’m a visual learner 🙂

15. Carole November 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

Is the worsted weight cotton yarn you used thinner or thicker or the same as worsted weight acrylic yarn (such as Red Heart super saver)?

16. Samantha November 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

Hi, I’m fairly new to crochet, and for some reason I always have trouble with my tension when making granny square, could you please tell me the size each square should be so that I can check as I go? Thanks.

• Kara November 10, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

Hi Samantha 🙂 My granny squares ended up being approx 10 1/4 in. x 10 1/4 in. I wouldn’t worry too much about gauge though because most likely your gauge will be the same for the rest of the skirt too. Also, granny squares are pretty forgiving 🙂

17. Maria Zachs December 11, 2014 at 7:19 am #

I made it!!!! sooooo great and easy pattern!!! Thank you so much. My first tree in my new home….lovely!!!Merry Christmas to all!!!!

18. Liz November 10, 2015 at 2:36 am #

Thinking of making the granny squares with red and green and the other parts in the white and red combination. Thanks for the pattern!!

19. Muriel Randall December 8, 2015 at 7:01 am #

when you finish row 9 you have 136 stitches, 34 per side. When you join white yarn for star, instructions say sc in 32 stitches and 3sc in corner stitch. Even with deducting for the corner stitch for 3 sc, it still leaves 33 stitches, not 32 – what do you do with the extra stitch?

• Kara December 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm #

Hi Muriel 🙂 When you join the white yarn you are doing so in the last sc of the corner sts (and not counting that as a stitch). Then you single crochet across the next 32 sts. This is 31 sts from along the edge + the 1st sc of the corner 3-sc grouping from Round 9. Hope that helps 🙂

1. Top FREE Crochet Patterns #6 - November 7, 2014

[…] Click Here for Pattern […]

2. Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 2: The Star - Petals to Picots - November 10, 2014

[…] Pattern?! This week we are going to work on our center star. Hopefully you’ve all made the large grannies from Part 1 that I shared last week. If not, you can find that part of the pattern here. After attaching them […]

3. 11/29/14 Free Crochet Pattern Links | Free Crochet Patterns - November 29, 2014

[…] Christmas Tree Skirt from Petals to Picots http://www.petalstopicots.com/2014/11/crochet-christmas-tree-skirt-pattern/ […]

4. 15+ Free Christmas Crochet Patterns - Petals to Picots - December 15, 2014

[…] Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern — Part 1: The Grannies November 3, 2014 […]

5. 11/6/14 Free Crochet Pattern Links | Free Crochet Patterns - March 25, 2015

[…] Stunning Christmas Tree Skirt from Kara of Petals to Picots | free crochet pattern http://www.petalstopicots.com/2014/11/crochet-christmas-tree-skirt-pattern/ […]

6. Free Crochet Pattern: Christmas Tree Skirt | Make It Crochet - October 30, 2015

[…] You can pick up your free pattern from Petals to Picots HERE. […]

7. [Free Pattern] Add Handmade Charm To Your Christmas Decor With This Pretty Granny Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern - Knit And Crochet Daily - February 14, 2016

[…] you’ve been looking for the perfect tree skirt, look no more! You’ll love this one! This Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern by Kara Gunza is such an easy and great pattern. Here’ an idea I got from someone: this […]

8. skirt crochet pattern – Download Wallpaper - February 21, 2016