Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

Our month of kitchen patterns continues with this pretty textured crochet dishcloth pattern. It’s amazing what a rich and complex design can be achieve with only two basic crochet stitches. Perfect for beginners … if you know how to work a single crochet and a double crochet, you are all set!

Click here to see all the patterns from our kitchen series.

Textured Crochet Stitch

Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

• worsted weight cotton yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle, scissors

Finished washcloth measures approximately 8 inches square.

Ch 26.

Row 1: Work [1 sc, 2 dc] in 2nd ch from hook, skip next 2 ch, *work [1 sc, 2 dc] in next, skip next 2 ch, rep from * across until last 3 ch, skip next 2 ch, 1 sc in last ch, turn — 25 sts.

Row 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work [1 sc, 2 dc] in first st, skip next 2 sts, *work [1 sc, 2 dc] in next, skip next 2 sts, rep from * across until last 3 sts, skip next 2 sts, 1 sc in last st, turn — 25 sts.

Rows 3 – 18: Rep Row 2.

Row 19: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 1 sc in each st across, do not turn or fasten off — 25 sts.

Round 1: Work 2 sc in same st as last sc of Row 19, continue working a sc edge around washcloth along next 3 sides, working 3 sc in each corner. Join in 1st sc of Row 19.

Round 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work a sc edge around, working 3 sc in each corner, join.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Textured Crochet Dishcloth Patterns

From left to right: Textured Dishcloth (in this post), Seeing Squares Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Three Color Simple Stitch Dishcloth.

Click here to see all the patterns from our kitchen series.

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

, ,

56 Responses to Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

1. Preeti July 16, 2013 at 4:11 am #

Nice pattern !! thanks for sharing ! :) If I replace sc with dc and dc with tr, will this work the same way? I usually work with a thinner yarn.

• Kara July 16, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

I think that might make the dishcloth too lacy, but it may work. Perhaps doubling up the strands of yarn would work better :)

2. anna July 16, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Hi Kara !
    The pattern is beautiful !
    But for those who speaks other language, it’s a little more complicate to follow the explanation…graphics are understandable for everybody !
    But I will try your pattern…
    Have a great day !

• Kara July 16, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I know, Anna, I am sorry about that :( So far I haven’t had much luck finding programs that easily allow me to make stitch diagrams. Do you know of any? I would love to start including them with my patterns.

3. Debi Y. July 16, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Hi Kara. This is a very nice dishcloth. Once again – thanks for sharing your pattern with us. :)

• Kara July 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Glad you like it, Debi!

4. Lori Kay July 16, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

I love this pattern! It worked up quick and the texture is perfect.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Kara July 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

I’m so glad to hear that, Lori!

5. Alexis @ Persia Lou July 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

It’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• Kara July 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

My pleasure, Alexis! Hope you enjoy it :)

6. Bryan July 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

I want to thank you for the nice patterns. I do not crochet near as what I used to. The reason I made these is that your finished projects always look so professional. Believe me, that is important. Any way, you started me up again. I thank you.

7. Heidi July 30, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Hi Kara,
    I am hoping to enlarge this and make it into a prop blanket for a photog friend. Thanks for the great “textured” pattern. Textured was the one thing that she said that she wanted!

8. Norma July 31, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

This looks like a great pattern. I will be using it in the couple of weeks.
    Thank you for sharing it.

9. Norma July 31, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

I am the person behind dishandwashclothmania.com and would like your permission to add links to your patterns onto my site. I am very strict about obeying copyright laws and only add links, not patterns. Thank you for considering my request.

I did attempt to read your Terms of Use but received an error message.

• Kara July 31, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Yes, you absolutely may. I am honored to be included!

10. Sara - My Merry Messy Life August 5, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Love this Kara! I’ve been following your dishcloth posts this summer and they are ALL good. I love the colors you chose. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

11. Minerva January 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

Thank you for sharing your free patterns, they are all beautiful. Your hard work and talent is greatly appreciated.

12. Anna January 14, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

I love this pattern! I’ve used it on a couple dish cloths for me and another for my sister!! Thank you

• Kara January 14, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

So happy to hear you enjoy it :)

13. Cathy February 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

I am in love with these patterns. What brand of yarn and colors did you use in the pictures?

• Kara February 20, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

So glad you like them Cathy! The yarn I used for those pictured was a cotton yarn from Knit Picks but they no longer carry it. They have one now called Dishie but I have not used it so can’t really tell you how it is. Sorry :(

14. Jen March 1, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

I love this pattern; I am having a hard time b/c I am new but when adding the border on the sides; I’m not sure where to make the sc’s (not the top and bottom). I can see where the sc goes on the top and bottom but I have no clue on the sides where to add the sc’s. Thank you :)

• Kara March 4, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Hi Jen :) When working the edging on the sides, work 1 sc per row. Hope that helps!

15. Anita March 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

I, too, am a beginner crocheter. I’ve been getting along fine with projects including a large afghan and a round lapghan. With this project, which I’m making 12 of for an upcoming bridal shower (gifts), I have trouble knowing where to place the border stitches on the side. Seems no matter how I try (I’ve made 4) each one ends up a little lopsided looking. Can you tell me, after making the first corner on the first border round, how many stitches for each side between corner stitches? And the same for the second round. Would be a great help to me.

• Kara March 4, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Hi Anita :) You would work 1 sc per row up the sides. Hope that helps!

16. Amy March 3, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

I too am a beginner and am still in the learning process of reading patterns. It seemed easy while reading it until I started it. I was on my 6th row until I noticed that it was lopsided. I either had too many stitches on one end or not enough. I have pulled it apart to crochet back together 3 times and still can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I would love for you make a tutorial possibly in the future. I’m more of a visual learner then read and figure out what I’m doing. Placement of the hook and where stitches are to go is my biggest issue. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Your work is beautiful btw.

17. Teshae April 19, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

Thank you so much, it was very kind of you to share these as free patterns! I just finished my first one and it came out great! Love the texture this stitch pattern gives.. will definitely be making more.

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

So glad you like them! It’s my pleasure :)

18. Donna April 21, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

Oh this is perfect! I am making a “Kitchen set” for my friend for her birthday in bright summery colors-I have the towel topper, pot holders, larger towels to dry glasses and a sachet for potpourri. I have been looking for a more textured dishcloth and I really like the looks of this! Thank you so much!

• Kara April 25, 2014 at 7:00 pm #

What a great gift idea! You are a good friend :)

19. Trish November 16, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

I just finished making this. What a pretty pattern!

I was looking fora nice pattern for Christmas gifts. This one is perfect.

• Kara November 16, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

So glad you like it, Trish!

20. Mandy December 10, 2014 at 10:51 am #

Hi. I made up this dishcloth, but with a couple of modifications. I use the Sugar ‘n Cream yarn and it’s pretty chunky. So, I began with 27 stiches, then did a second row of sc only. Then, I began the pattern, but with a ch 2 at the beginning of each row, instead of a ch 1. A ch 1 was just too tight and it came out warped. (I do have a fairly tight stitch.) I really love this. It makes up super quickly! Thank you.

21. Jessica December 15, 2014 at 9:37 am #

This is my favorite pattern for cloths. I use it all the time

22. cajunmile February 2, 2015 at 9:14 am #

Thanks for the pattern. I enjoyed making these dishcloths. The size was perfect.

• Kara February 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm #

So glad you liked them!

23. Breanna March 23, 2015 at 12:24 pm #

I must be doing something wrong :(. I think (ha!) I am following the pattern correctly, but it keeps getting shorter and shorter. Not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong. Please help!

• Breanna March 23, 2015 at 1:22 pm #

Nevermind. I’m an idiot :)

• Maria March 28, 2015 at 5:45 pm #

Can you explain what you were doing wrong? I must be another idiot because I somehow keep losing stitches every row! haha

• Kara March 28, 2015 at 8:58 pm #

The most common places for people to skip stitches are at the beginning and end of the row. After you finish a row, count to make sure you did t skip one. Hope that helps :)

• gerdakr July 27, 2015 at 6:41 am #

Hi Kara :)
            What’s the multiple of this pattern if I want to make it bigger ??
            Thanks for a great pattern :)

24. Zarnaz August 13, 2015 at 11:04 am #

I would like to know how many chains I should crochet in the beginning if I want to make it a little wider?
    P.S. I have made your Crunchy Stitch dishcloth, I’m using it as a washcloth and it feels amazing! It scrubs really well! 😀 and the pattern was really addictive… :-)

25. Leanna August 19, 2015 at 8:22 pm #

Is the pattern supposed to start with 27? I have been using the 26 to start and it doesn’t leave 3 chains.

26. Leslie September 8, 2015 at 10:13 pm #

I LOVE this pattern :) I’m running into a small problem. Everything is nice and textured and symmetrical and tight….except between my first 26 chains and the next row of the first “clusters” the gap in that “skip 2 chains” is showing through in my end product. How are you able to avoid this? Am I missing something somewhere?

27. Julianna October 8, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

I made one this morning and it worked up so quickly and beautifully! I would like to link your post to a blog post I’m writing with beginner crochet tips if I have your permission!
    Thanks for sharing this fun pattern!

• Kara October 9, 2015 at 9:30 am #

Of course, I would be honored :) So glad you liked it!!

1. And another one | The Little Room of Rachell - September 10, 2013

[…] used the same patten as for my last – the pink aran cotton cloth which can be found here. Basically it’s chain an even number of stitches, 1 dc and 2 tr into the 3rd ch. *skip 2 ch […]

2. Crafty Swaps! | monkey mai - November 28, 2013

[…] dishcloth was made using the Granny Square dishcloth pattern, and for the last dishcloth I used the Textured Crochet Dishcloth pattern by Petals to […]

3. Crunchy Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - March 10, 2014

[…] front to back: Textured Dishcloth, Three Color Simple Stitch Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth (this post), and Seeing Squares […]

4. Three Color Simple Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - March 10, 2014

[…] left to right: Textured Dishcloth, Seeing Squares Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Three Color Simple Stitch Dishcloth (this […]

5. Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - July 14, 2014

[…] left to right: Textured Dishcloth, Seeing Squares Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Three Color Simple Stitch […]

6. Finally… | The Grandeur of Writing - December 22, 2014

[…] bunny, Textured dish cloth, Mug cozy, Clara the spotted […]

7. Crocheting – Dishcloths | CajunMile - January 29, 2015

[…] I remember skipping a dishcloth pattern in the Crocheting For Dummies book, so I started with that one.  If you own the book, it is located in Chapter 5.  (If you don’t own the book, I highly recommend you procuring a copy.  It’s a great reference tool for all of the crochet terminology and the various stitches).  Next, I headed to my favorite place, the Red Heart website, and found this Dandy Dishcloth pattern.  Finally, I went over to trusty Pinterest where I found two other patterns – one from Erika’s Crafts Corner, and the other from Petals to Picots. […]

8. Patterns and skill level – a little positive reinforcement | Hook It & Cook It! - July 12, 2015

[…] patterns will tell you the skill level as well.  For example, check out very beautiful yet simple textured dishcloth pattern from one of my favorite blogs, Petals to Picots (they make great hostess gifts or can replace your […]

9. 11 Patterns for How to Crochet a Washcloth | How to Arm Knit - August 28, 2015

[…] Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern by Petals to Picots […]

10. Crafting: Learning to Crochet | Expat Linguist - October 25, 2015

[…] One of my brilliant coworkers recently taught me how to crochet. I’ve tried in the past and thought it was hopeless, but it turns out I just needed a very patient, careful teacher. Yesterday I finished the first project that she started me on, a dishcloth: […]