Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

crochet dishcloth pattern

This dishcloth pattern makes for a refreshing change since it is worked from the center out. Add some splashes of color for a neat geometric design!

Click here to see all the patterns from our kitchen series.

crochet dishcloth pattern

Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

• 3 colors worsted weight cotton yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle, scissors

Finished washcloth measures approximately 8 inches square.

With CA, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 8 sc in ring, join — 8 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 3 sc in first st, 1 sc in next, *3 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * twice more, join — 16 sts.

Round 3: Join CB, ch 1, work 1 sc in first sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, join — 24 sts.

Round 4: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 2 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, join — 32 sts.

Round 5: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 3 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, join — 40 sts.

Round 6: Join CC, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 4 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 9 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts, join — 48 sts.

Round 7: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 5 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 11 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 6 sts, join — 56 sts.

Round 8: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 6 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 13 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, join — 64 sts.

Round 9: Join CB, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 7 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 15 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 8 sts, join — 72 sts.

Round 10: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 8 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 17 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 9 sts, join — 80 sts.

Round 11: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 9 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 19 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 10 sts, join — 88 sts.

Round 12: Join CC, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 10 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 21 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 11 sts, join — 96 sts.

Round 13: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 11 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 23 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 12 sts, join — 104 sts.

Round 14: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 12 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 25 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 13 sts, join — 112 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

crochet dishcloth pattern

From front to back: Textured Dishcloth, Three Color Simple Stitch Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Seeing Squares Dishcloth  (in this post)

Click here to see all the patterns from our kitchen series.

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

, ,

22 Responses to Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

1. Dorothy July 23, 2013 at 6:56 am #

I love that textured dishcloth. I made myself a placemat that looks similar and I use it every day for breakfast. Nice way to start the day – its so cheerful. xoxox

2. Heather July 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Love these dishcloths! I’ve made the Crunchy and Textured and they turned out great…nice and easy too. Can’t wait to do Seeing Squares and Three-Color now! Thanks so much for sharing these patterns for free!

3. barbara woods July 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

What kind of yarn do you use? i buy at walmart and it get lintty when i wash my wash cloths and dish cloths

• Kara July 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

I used Knit Picks Simply Cotton Worsted and so far it washes beautifully. Unfortunately I bought it on clearance and I don’t think they have it anymore. I really love it too 🙁 But I have had good luck with Lion Brand’s Kitchen Cotton and Sugar ‘n Cream too. Hope that helps 🙂

4. Terri D. July 24, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

I happily discovered your site through Pinterest and I am so glad I did. I have enjoyed looking through the older posts and projects. I tried the Textured dishcloth yesterday and love the result. I can’t wait to try the other dishcloths as well. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Blessings to you.

• Kara July 24, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

I am so happy to hear that, Terri!! Welcome, welcome, welcome 🙂

5. Kadie July 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

They are all so pretty! I love each of them and can’t wait to try them out! I finished the Crunchy one now I need to find time to do the rest. 😉

6. Barbara Hagerty July 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

I found you through Pinterest also, and I’m so happy I did! How many stitches did you use for the magic ring for this dishcloth? Thanks for the wonderful pattern!

7. Megan July 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Wanted to let you know this project was highlighted on the at play blog today!

Megan

• Kara July 30, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks so much!

8. Astri July 29, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Oh I like this one two. I must make these….soon…thanks for the pattern again Kara. 🙂

9. Kyra August 1, 2014 at 3:29 am #

Thanks so much for your crochet dishcloth patterns – this is the second one I am making (I finished the textured dishcloth last night) – they are just lovely, a beautiful addition to my kitchen!

• Kara August 3, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying them!

10. Melissa September 22, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

He! I’m trying yo do the Seeing Squares. Starting in Round 3 you have (5) 3 sc groupings. I have a pentagon instead of a square. Can you help me with this?

• Kara September 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Melissa 🙂 You are correct, the repeats after the asterisk should only be done twice more instead of three more times. I updated the pattern accordingly. Thanks so much for letting me know!

11. Jennifer November 6, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Finished the textured one yesterday. Love it. Would you say for different sized projects that I could chain multiples of 2 + 1?

Also working on Seeing Squares. Had to turn & work in the other direction after several rounds. I’m a tight crocheter & projects like this tend to go slightly askew. But I do love the pattern.

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

So glad you are enjoying them! Yes, I do believe the 2+1 multiple would work for increasing the textured pattern 🙂

12. Kalene April 17, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

My seeing square ones end up not being as square as yours and have a round shape. I have pulled it out time and time again but still can’t seem to see what I am doing wrong. Any tips?

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

Hmmm … what shape is it coming out?

13. mick May 6, 2015 at 9:29 am #

My seeing squares ends up askew – I have also taken it out several times and can’t seem to get it . . . any ideas? I can send a pic somehow. I have done the others, though, with great success!

1. Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern - Petals to Picots - September 17, 2014

[…] left to right: Textured Dishcloth, Seeing Squares Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Three Color Simple Stitch […]