Spring Easter Basket Crochet Pattern

3K Flares Google+ 368 StumbleUpon 108 Pin It Share 572 Facebook 1.9K Twitter 8 3K Flares ×

Easter Basket Crochet Pattern

I am ready to say goodbye to these cold dark winter days and hello to the Spring!  So today I have a fun Springy Easter basket crochet pattern for you … a pretty flower basket to add a little color to your days or to decorate for Easter baskets for your little loves. (You can find the Easter egg pattern here.)

Spring Easter Basket Crochet Pattern

• Worsted weight yarn for basket.  Various colors from your stash for flowers
  • H hook
  • 3 pipe cleaners
  • tapestry needle

Basket is approx 6 in wide and 3 in tall. Handle length can be worked to your preference.

Basket

Make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 2 (count as hdc here and throughout), work 7 hdc in ring, join — 8 sts.

Round 2: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, work 2 hdc in next st and each st around, join — 16 sts.

Round 3: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in next, *2 hdcc in next st, 1 hdc in next, rep from * around, join — 24 sts.

Round 4: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 stitches, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around, join — 32 sts.

Round 5: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 stitches, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * around, join— 40 sts.

Round 6: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 stitches, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, rep from * around, join — 48 sts.

Round 7: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 stitches, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, rep from * around, join — 56 sts.

Round 8: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in the back loop of the next st and each st around, join — 56 sts.

Rounds 9 through 16: Ch 2, working through both loops again, work 1 hdc in the next st and each st around, join — 56 sts.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Handle

Sometimes handles can get floppy and for this project I didn’t want a droopy handle. So, to help achieve a nicely shaped handle, I crocheted over pipe cleaners that can be gently bent into shape and will keep that shape. Below I show you step by step how to do this. Of course you can also follow the same directions to make the handle without the pipe cleaners …

Start with a slip knot on your hook. Holding the knot at the top  of the pipe cleaner, insert your hook under the pipe cleaner, pull the yarn to the front and up to the top of the pipe cleaner, yarn over and pull through both loops.

How to crochet around pipecleaners

Continue crocheting across pipe cleaner until you reach the end. This is essentially our foundation chain. If you are not using the pipe cleaners, just chain the number of stitches that you want the length of your handle to be.

How to crochet around pipe cleaners

Round 1: Ch 1, turn, and work 1 sc in the back loop of each st across (see photo below), work 3 sc in the last st, do not turn; now work along opposite side working 1 sc in each unused loop across, work 2 sc in last loop and join to 1st sc of round.

Crochet Easter Basket Pattern

Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join, line up another pipe cleaner on top of the stitches from the previous  round and working over the pipe cleaner (see photo below), work 1 sc in each st across, work 2 sc, 1 sc, 2 sc around the corner; repeat for other side of round, work 2 sc, 1 sc around corner, join in 1st sc of round.

Crochet Easter Basket Pattern
Easter Basket Crochet Pattern

Now for my favorite part … decorating!

Layered Flower

Make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 10 sc in ring, join — 10 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, beginning in same st as join work *1 sc, ch 2, skip next st, rep from * around, join — 5 ch-2 loops.

Round 3: *Work [2 hdc, 3 dc, 2 hdc] in ch-2 loop, Sl st in sc, rep from * around, ch 1, do not join — 5 back petals.

Round 4: If desired join new color, work [1 hdc, 3 dc, 1 hdc] in each skipped st from Round 2, join in 1st hdc of round — 5 front petals.

Fasten off leaving a long enough tail to sew flower to basket.

Round Center Accents

Make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1, work 6 sc in ring, join — 10 sts.

Fasten off leaving a long enough tail to sew accent to flower.

Small Flower

Make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1, *work 1 sc in ring, ch 3, repeat from * 4 more times, join — 5 ch-3 loop petals.

Fasten off leaving a long enough tail to sew flower to basket.

I hope you enjoyed this fun Easter basket crochet pattern! Click here for more free Easter crochet patterns …

Free Easter crochet patterns

54 Responses to Spring Easter Basket Crochet Pattern

1. Lisa March 6, 2013 at 5:51 am #

I need some colours after this winter. This basket is beautiful.

Lisa

2. Hanni March 6, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Kara, this is supercute!!! I must do it!

3. Sangeetha March 6, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Hi Kara, What a lovely colourful, cheerful, happy basket!! I don’t have pipe cleaners, I think I will crochet around plastic tubing.
    Regards.

4. Preeti March 6, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Cute basket! Thanks for sharing! The idea of using pipe cleaners is very good:) I can use this idea for one of my WIPs where I was looking for firmness yet flexibility.

5. Pam @Threading My Way March 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

If I could crochet, I’d have a go at making this ever so cute basket for a little Miss, Kara.

6. priscilla March 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

So cute ! Thank you for the pattern !

7. LenkaH. March 6, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Very nice!!! Thanks a lot for sharing the pattern :o)

8. Knot Forgotten Studio March 6, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Good Morning Kara, I’m hoping you have a bright, sunny, warm, and spring-like day in your neck of the woods! :) Thank you so much for the basket pattern. I’ve just finished up several projects and was at a loss for what to start next. Your basket is the perfect solution. It’s so sweet! Pipe cleaners??? Who knew?? What a super idea! Thank you again, take care, penny x

• agrimliset March 18, 2013 at 4:25 am #

I love when I see that someone is named Penny! I am making this basket for my 2 year old Penny Lane! : )
      And yes, the pipe cleaners is genius!!!

9. Rajeswari March 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Dear Kara, such a sweet cute and colorful basket! Would love to try the pipe cleaner idea..thanks a lot for that :)

10. Debi Y. March 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Your Easter basket is so cute – great idea with the pipe cleaners in the handle. Thanks for sharing your pattern. :)

11. Maria Nazareth March 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Hi Kara
    What a preety basket thanks for sharing your pattern

12. E Strea Chikitu March 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

cute basket ! and your tuto is beautifully done, very clear…

13. linda March 6, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

So cute Kara, I love it thank you for the pattern :)

14. June Spuur March 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

This is just a wonderful pattern for a basket and such wonderful colors <3 - which kind of yarn did you use for this?

Greetings from Denmark

June

15. Anne CROSBY GAUDET March 6, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Ah-ha…a pipe cleaner for a handle base. That’s great, thanks for the pattern!

16. Barbina March 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Your basket is really cute! Thank you so much for sharing your pattern with us! Just yesterday I have made some of your easter eggs! Perfect timing! :)
    Have a great day! xBarbina

17. Ana BC March 6, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

So cute! Perfect stash buster too… Maybe you can share it @ LInda’s link party…

18. Carla S. March 6, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Wish you had the pattern for the eggs!!!

19. Country Maison (Eva) March 7, 2013 at 11:27 am #

What a lovely basket ! Thanks for sharing the pattern .
    xEva

20. Winnie March 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

This is such a beautiful and cheerful basket !!

21. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects March 8, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

Kara, I just love this – and how perfect you can crochet it around a pipe cleaner to help form it!!

22. Natas Nest March 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Woow, so cute!! ♥ Thanks for sharing :-))

23. Nanaliz5 March 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Absolutely adorable!

24. Naida March 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

How cute! Clever about using the pipe cleaner.

25. Amy Ditmore March 11, 2013 at 3:34 am #

I love this basket. I featured it on my blog, hope you don’t mind. I couldn’t resist :). http://quarteredheartcrochet.blogspot.com/2013/03/15-of-cutest-free-crochet-easter-basket.html

26. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life March 11, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Love this, Kara! What a great idea to use a pipe cleaner as the inside of the handle. I love how you put the flowers on it. Great job!

27. Marilyn Clark March 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this basket! I’m going to get my crochet hook out! Thanks so much for sharing at March Madness!

28. agrimliset March 18, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Hello!
    I love this little basket, the only problem is that on the sides I’m getting little holes where I join together. tried putting a HDC in the same stitch where I joined, but I worried that the adding of stitches would make my basket mouth too big and wonky. Any tips?

Thanks!
    If you reply, can you send it to [email protected] ?

29. Cathy Milne March 19, 2013 at 8:35 am #

How very clever! Using pipe cleaners for stabilizing the handle. I really like the basket and appliques. Thank you for sharing.
    Ta Ta for now, Cathy the Bagg Lady

30. JULIA ALVIRA March 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Dear Friend,you did my day with those so cute and springy baskets My grandchildren will love them.Happy Easter!THANKS!!!!

31. J. Beachler March 16, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Are the instructions for the basket handle complete, if so where is the 3rd pipe cleaner used?

• Kara March 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Hello :) Yes, 1 pipe cleaner is used in the first round and then 2 are used in the second … one around each side of the second round. Make sense?

32. Jill March 21, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

Hi,

Thanks for this adorable basket. I can’t wait to get started. One question: do you work the handles separately and then attach them to the basket or do you attach the handles to the basket when you start working on them? thanks.

• Kara March 22, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Hi Jill :) Yes, I work the handles separately and then attach them to the basket. Hope that helps!

33. Candi March 31, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

This is soooo cute and super fast to work up! The only thing I changed was to add a row of slip stitch at the top for a more finished look and to bend the end of the pipe cleaner after the first couple of stitches to prevent the stitches from slipping off.

• Kara March 31, 2014 at 10:13 pm #

Sounds awesome!!

34. Tina April 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

Getting ready to start this and for some reason can’t seem to find pattern for the eggs. is there one or am I jjust not seeing what’s in front of my face. lol

35. anna April 5, 2014 at 11:03 am #

having a difficulty with trying to single crochet on the other side of the pipe cleaner, there are no free loops, what do I do?

• Kara April 5, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

Are you referring to Round 1 with the pipe cleaner? If so, you will be crocheting into the back loop of the single crochets you just made. Hope that helps!

36. Britney April 10, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Thank you for sharing this amazing Easter basket! It is an amazing pattern and super quick to workup!

• Kara April 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

Thank you, Britney! So glad you like it :)

37. stacey w April 17, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

love this! working on four for my kids. Do you turn the basket inside out when your done (before you sew handle on?

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

No, I didn’t because I worked them from the right side around.

1. Fotos e Ideias – Decoração de Pascoa em Crochê | Maraca Crochet - March 6, 2014

[…] Fonte: petalstopicots […]

2. Free Crochet Pattern Link Blast: Easter (Non-Tradtional) | WIPs 'N Chains - March 14, 2014

[…] Spring Basket http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/03/spring-basket-pattern-great-for-easter/ […]

3. crochet Easter basket | Brooklyn Red Girl - March 18, 2014

[…] http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/03/spring-basket-pattern-great-for-easter/ […]

4. Top 10 Free Crochet Patterns For Adorable Easter Decorations - March 23, 2014

[…] Project and photo credit to petalstopicots.com  […]

5. 25 Family Friendly Easter Crafts, Activities and Recipes - March 31, 2014

[…] Crochet Easter Baskets […]

6. 7 DIY Easter Egg Hunt Bags - April 13, 2014

[…] unique egg hunt bag you can always crochet it if you are skilled at that art. This patter for an spring Easter busket is so colorful and beautiful, that you’ll feel bad if you don’t make it. Even you […]