My Kaleidoscope Afghan and Other Favorite Afghan Patterns

I love afghans! There is nothing like curling up under a soft cozy blanket, especially one that that has been lovingly made stitch by stitch.

I recently made this afghan, which I like to call my Kaleidoscope Afghan because of all the beautiful colors. I first got the idea to make this when I saw Amy Schwab’s Fireworks Surprise Square on Ravelry … it is gorgeous! But I didn’t want just a square, I wanted a whole afghan like that. So, I played with the pattern to make it a rectangle.  It has fast become a family favorite!

What do you think?

I was lucky enough to score Amy’s pattern when it was a freebie, but now that it is for sale, I still think it is well worth the price. Want to try your hook at an afghan like mine? Change the beginning chain and rounds as follows …

Ch 11.

Round 1: 1 dc in 5th ch from hook (cts as 1st V-st), ch 2, V-st in same ch, ch 1, sk next 2, V-st in next, ch 1, sk next 2, [V-st, ch 2, V-st, ch 2, V-st] in last ch; working along opposite side of chain, ch 1, sk 2, V-st in next, ch 1, sk 2, V-st in same ch as 1st st made, ch 2, join in 3rd ch of beginning ch 4, fasten off.

Round 2: Join new color in next ch-2 corner, [ch 4, 1 dc (counts as V-st), ch 2, V-st] in same corner, working behind and in the middle of V-st below, dtr2dwn in same chain as next V-st below was made, *V-st in next ch-1sp, dtr2dwn in same chain as next V-st below, rep from * once more, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp,  dtr2dwn in same chain as next V-st below, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn same chain as next V-st below, **V-st in next ch-1sp, dtr2dwn in same chain as next V-st below, rep from ** once more, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn in same chain as next V-st below,  join in 3rd ch of beginning ch 4, fasten off.

Round 3: Join new color in next ch-2 corner, [ch 4, 1 dc (counts as V-st), ch 2, V-st] in same corner, working behind V-st below, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, *1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, rep from * twice more, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, **1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, rep from ** twice more [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, join in 3rd ch of beginning ch 4, fasten off.

Round 4: Join new color in next ch-2 corner, [ch 4, 1 dc (counts as V-st), ch 2, V-st] in same corner, working behind V-st below, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, *dtr2dwn in top of dtr below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, rep from * twice more, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in top of dtr below,1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, **dtr2dwn in top of dtr below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, rep from ** twice more, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, [V-st, ch 2, V-st] in ch-2sp, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below, 1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in top of dtr below,1 dc in space before next dtr, ch 1, 1 dc in space after next dtr, dtr2dwn in same ch-sp as next V-st below was made, join in 3rd ch of beginning ch 4, fasten off.

Continue working rounds as in Amy’s pattern, but be sure to increase the stitch counts on the long sides of the rectangle as you increase in size. One thing to note … as happens many times when increasing a motif pattern, as the size increased, the corners can sometimes become a little skewed. When I thought I started to see this happen, I remedied it by working [V-st, ch 1, V-st] for the corners for a few rows and then continuing as usual.

Voilà! I love it!

I loved it so much that I then made this Hexagon Afghan. I shared the free pattern and tutorial here if you want to give it a try.

new-JAYGO-1-3

And then my latest love is this African Flower Coverlet I am working on. You can get the free pattern and joining “how to” here.

African Flower Pattern

Want to see some of my favorite afghan patterns? I am absolutely in love with these two patterns from the very talented Susan Carlson from Felted Button. They are definitely on my “must buy” list …

This gorgeous and colorful Star Fruit Blanket

And this absolutely serene Breath of Heaven Blanket

IMG_0030

What are some of your favorite afghan patterns?

, ,

43 Responses to My Kaleidoscope Afghan and Other Favorite Afghan Patterns

1. Lisa February 19, 2013 at 5:51 am #

That blanket is gorgeous. The colours are so beautiful. I think it is a -be happy blanket-. It makes you smile.

I wish you a nice week.

Lisa

2. Preeti February 19, 2013 at 8:00 am #

Your afghan looks very pretty! I liked the color combinations very much:)

3. Country Maison (Eva) February 19, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Lovely, so cozy and warm colors !!

4. linda February 19, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

It’s beautiful, I love the colours, thanks for sharing the pattern 🙂

5. beatriceryandesigns.com February 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Very Nice, I may have to try one soon! Love your color choices too!

6. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects February 19, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

It’s sooooo pretty! I just wanna snuggle up in it, LOL!

7. E Strea Chikitu February 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

stunning! you must be staying un the couch for ever…

8. Elisabeth February 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Beautiful afghan! It looks just perfect to snuggle under on a cold winters day 🙂

9. Astri February 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Well if this isn’t just the most cozy blanket ever, then I do not know what is! I love the warmth of the colors and pattern. Nice job!

10. Rajeswari February 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

So warm n cozy.. I would never be off the couch if I had such loveliness draped over it!

11. Casey February 20, 2013 at 12:45 am #

I like how these stitches look and I really like the colors you used!

12. Chain Stitch Crochet February 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

This is gorgeous! I may just have to try this after I get done with the afghan I’m working on. Have you tried the Never Ending Granny? Go check out the Crochet Crowd. Mikey has a wonderful tutorial on it. I am trying the 7 strand. I can’t wait to finish it.

13. M. J. Joachim February 20, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

So pretty! Looks like a great way to use leftover yarn too!

14. Rhondda Mol February 21, 2013 at 3:56 am #

Hi Kara! I love this afghan! The colours and pattern 🙂

15. Marilyn Clark February 21, 2013 at 4:25 am #

This afghan is gorgeous! I LOVE it, Kara! 🙂

16. Kadie February 21, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

It’s amazing!! I love the pattern it makes. Great Job!

17. Tamara February 22, 2013 at 1:51 am #

Very cool! I love your adaptation. Thanks so much for linking up on Hookin On Hump Day!

18. Julie Jarocewicz March 29, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Thanks!

19. Amber Fuller May 16, 2013 at 12:08 am #

Gorgeous! I cannot wait to make this!

• Kara May 16, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Hope you enjoy it!

20. Char55 May 17, 2013 at 9:42 am #

This looks like the perfect pattern to use up all those skein ends and/or one skeins. I have a bunch of small odds and ends to use up. Thanks so much for the pattern.

• Kara May 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Yes, it definitely is a good one for that!

21. ellen June 29, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

where can I find this pattern?

• Kara June 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Unfortunately, I took it down 🙁 The pattern that was the original inspiration for it ended up being put up for sale so I didn’t want to give away too much information and cause a conflict of interest. Sorry!

22. Julia July 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Oh darn! I guess I saw the afghan too late to get the pattern. I love it!

23. Stephanie July 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Too bad. I really wanted to make this. Can you point me to the original pattern? I might consider buying it.

• Kara July 3, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Hi Stephanie 🙂 It is the Fireworks Surprise pattern on Ravelry. If you end up buying it, just follow my modifications above to make a rectangular afghan. Hope that helps!

24. Linda May 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Kara, really like your afghan & would like to try one of my own. The problem is that while I’ve made the “fireworks” square pattern I can’t seem to get from your round 1 to the way Amy’s pattern goes. Please help! I think I’m adding the dtrs at the right spaces but then don’t have enough dcs along the ends & sides to make the pattern work. Sorry to be such a dunce. Extra rounds would be appreciated. Thanks, Linda

• Kara May 22, 2014 at 9:46 pm #

Hi Linda 🙂 I am sorry but I really can’t print any more than I have here because I would technically be “reprinting” Amy’s pattern. I can only print the beginning part that I did differently. The next rounds would differ only with the amount of repeats along the sides since it is a rectangle instead of a square. Hope that helps. Sorry I can’t provide more.

25. Laurel Abraham September 19, 2015 at 9:40 am #

I am having the same problem as Linda. I am trying to make the afgan for a customer, who has bought all the yarn necessary. I don’t understand, how clarification of your round 2 is a “reprint” of Amy’s, since your round 1 is different the round two is different. I also have made a sample “Fireworks” square and can not come up with the transition. Clarification (diagram) of row 2 would be MUCH appreciated. The yarn and pattern have been bought, I need some assistance to complete the project. Thank you for your time and assistance.

• Kara September 21, 2015 at 11:11 am #

Hi Laurel 🙂 I have added more detail. Hope that helps!

26. wendy September 22, 2015 at 3:14 pm #

Please let me know we’re I can find what your crochet terms mean I know some but not all

• Kara September 22, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

Hi Wendy 🙂 All the abbreviations and stitch descriptions are in Amy’s original pattern.

27. Lorrie March 14, 2016 at 3:50 pm #

Help on How-to on Row 2. Do you. Have pictures or more info? Can you send me, Please?
    Thank you.

28. Claudia Fernandez-Kersey May 30, 2016 at 3:56 am #

I purchased Amy’s pattern and then with that, modified yours a bit to create a rectangle that’s 3x as long as it is wide (to create a seat cover for my husband’s office chair). It’s FABULOUS! Thank you so much for your post!!!

I’m considering either doing it again (maybe this time using a larger hook) or testing my hand at a super-colorful version of your Breath of Heaven Blanket. I’ll keep you posted!

Claudia

29. karen August 20, 2016 at 9:19 am #

love this, one question what yarn did you use?
    thanks
    kk

• Kara August 20, 2016 at 3:55 pm #

I used knit picks brava for this this afghan

30. Cindy September 29, 2016 at 9:35 pm #

Kara, do you have a video on how this starts – I can’t quite understand it. Thnx

• Kara October 3, 2016 at 8:41 pm #

Hi Cindy 🙂 Unfortunately, I do not. Sorry 🙁

• cindy October 4, 2016 at 8:20 am #

Thnx Kara for reply…I think I have fgured it out now. Great stash buster without having to join squares

31. Jill October 14, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

Please define your V-stitch. I am confused by your use of ch1 and ch2. Is your V-stitch this: (dc, ch2, dc) or this: (dc, ch1, dc)? Where do the ch1’s come in? why are there ch1’s and then ch2″s? I am having trouble beginning this pattern. Is there anywhere else that explains it better? Is there any sort of video? Thank you. The afghan is lovely and I am wanting so much to make this pattern. I donate prayer shawls to Threads of Compassion in Indianapolis and I think this would make a lovely shawl. Once I learn this pattern correctly, I plan to elongate it.

• Kara October 19, 2016 at 4:09 pm #

Hi Jill 🙂 The V-st is (dc, ch 1, dc) and the ch 2s are between the V-sts. Hope that helps 🙂

32. Frances fritticci October 25, 2016 at 5:24 pm #

Absolutely love the Kaleidoscope blanket I’ve made many versions of it it’s so comfortable and warm