Felted Bag Pattern

258 Flares Google+ 2 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 248 Facebook 8 Twitter 0 258 Flares ×
striped felted bag

Ever since I made this pretty little felted purse for my daughter, I have been wanting to make a felted bag for myself. So I headed to my local yarn store and bought some yummy wool yarn.

You can work up this bag all in one color or use a few colors to make a random stripe pattern as I have done here.

Felted Bag

• Cascade 220 worsted weight wool yarn (not Superwash)
  • H hook / 5 m
  • Tapestry needle, toggle or button for closure

Before felting, bag measures approximately 15 in. high and 14½ in. wide, with 38 in. straps.

Bag

Ch 40 (counts as 37 chains and 1st dc of Round 1).

Round 1: Work 4 dc in 4th chain from hook, 1 dc in each of the next 35 ch, 5 dc in last; working on opposite side of chain, 1 dc in each of the next 35 ch, join — 80 sts.

Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as st), work 2 dc in each of the next 3 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 37 sts, 2 dc in each of the next 3 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 37 sts, join — 86 sts.

Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as st), work 1 dc in next, 2 dc in each of the next 4 sts, 1 dc in next 39 sts, 2 dc in each of the next 4 sts, 1 dc in next 37 sts, join — 94 sts.

Round 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), work 1 dc in next st and each st around, join — 94 sts.

Rounds 5 through 27: Repeat Round 4.

Round 28: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 94 sts.

Straps (make 2)

Ch 121.

Row 1: Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, turn — 120 sts.

Rows 2 through 5: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 1 sc in each st across,  turn — 120 sts.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Closure

Ch 30.

Round 1: Work 1 sc in 20th ch from hook and each of the next 8 ch, 3 sc in last ch; working along opposite side of ch, work 1 sc in each of the next 9 ch, work 33 sc in loop, 1 sc in next 9 sts, Sl st to join.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Felting

Next, felt the pieces using one of the methods described in How to Felt (or Full) Your Piece. I prefer to leave the pieces unattached until after felting because I feel like it gives me more control in shaping the pieces.

I just love how the stitches look after they are felted!

Once you’ve felted the pieces and gotten the excess water out, shape them as desired. I stuffed the purse with a folded towel and pinned the straps and closure to a towel to block them into shape. Allow to dry.

Once dry, sew on your straps and closure as shown. If desired, you can also line your bag with fabric.

Enjoy!

21 Responses to Felted Bag Pattern

1. Pradeepa February 27, 2013 at 9:41 am #

Lovely bag! Thanks for the tutorial.

2. Terry February 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

This is so pretty. Felting is definitely on my (too large) list of things to try.

3. Elisabeth February 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Lovely bag! I’ve not tried felting yet but it’s on my to do list because I love how felted accesories look :) Elisabeth x

4. The Crafty Nana February 27, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Thank you for sharing. Your patterns that I have purchased have all turned out well. Now I may have to learn to felt.

5. Marilyn Clark February 28, 2013 at 12:12 am #

I’ve knitted/felted a number of bags but I have never done this with crochet… but I am now! Thanks for this great tutorial!

6. Susan Carlson February 28, 2013 at 2:30 am #

Very pretty, Kara! Lovely AND useful! My favorite kind of projects!

7. homeschooljewelrymom February 28, 2013 at 4:45 am #

Beautiful bag! I’ve never felted before; thank you for sharing :-)

8. Kadie February 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Love this! I have only tried felting once and it was a lot of fun to make those stitches go away.:)

9. Marilyn Clark February 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

I’m trying to decide which yarn I should use for this project! :D

10. Catina March 6, 2013 at 4:34 am #

Beautiful color scheme. I haven’t tried felting yet. Lovely.

11. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life March 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Love the colors you used, Kara! This is very nice. I have yet to crochet and then felt – I’ve gotta use your tutorials and get on that! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

12. Carrie April 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

What a great idea and such a lovely pattern! I featured the bag on my blog this morning at http://whittskitsfabricscrafts.blogspot.com/2013/04/find-it-free-on-friday-totesbags.html and linked directly back to here.

Thanks for sharing such great ideas!
    Carrie

13. Anne CROSBY GAUDET April 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Thank you so much for the great pattern. I did it! And I love how it turned out. I’ve already picked out some wool for another one. I have pics on my blog with a link back to you.

14. Sue Bordian November 7, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Thank you for this pattern. I worked it up for a friend in Cascade 220 in two jewel tones and used a large Nordic button as the closure. It’s just beautiful and the friend I made it for is delighted. I’ll be sure to give you full credits when I blog it. Thanks again.

• Kara November 7, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

It sounds beautiful!! I can’t wait to see it!

15. Susan January 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

Hi,
    What was the total yardage for the bag? Thanks.

• Kara January 14, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

Hi Susan :) I don’t know the exact yardage … I bought 3 skeins of Cascade 220 (1 in each color) and definitely had a bunch leftover. Hope that helps a little.

16. cucrochet January 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Hi, Could you give the finished measurements after felting? I am ready to start this bag, it will be my second felting project.
    Fun!

• Kara January 24, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Hello :) Mine came out to about 11 in x 13 after felting but your results may differ depending on type of yarn and how much the piece is felted. Hope that helps!

17. NANCY March 13, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

IS THIS DONE IN THE ROUND?