Little Boy Blue Blanket CAL: Weeks 1 and 2

Are you all ready to start our blanket CAL?!  I for one am very excited! We have had such a great response … we have over 100 people participating through the Ravelry group alone, not to mention the others who are joining via here on the blog and on Facebook. Participants are joining from all over the world including all across the U.S., Canada, Scotland, and Brasil, and more are joining in every day. Pretty fun, huh?!

I am especially excited because I am in love with the colors I picked. Perfect for Autumn, don’t you think? I decided on Acadia, Yosemite, Shenandoah, Yellowstone, Everglades, and Joshua Tree … all Lion Brand Heartland colors. I can’t wait to start seeing the beautiful color combinations you all have picked!

Yarn

So here we go! For these first 2 weeks we will be working on Rounds 1 through 6 of the center. The gauge and pattern notes are also included below, as well as a chart of the afghan that you may find handy as you work your way through. Don’t forget that if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask them in our Ravelry group or on my Facebook page and we will all try to help each other out. Feel free to start posting up your pictures of your yarn and progress too. It is always fun seeing everyone’s photos.  Most of all, have fun!!

The Little Boy Blue Blanket

GAUGE:

11 dc + 6 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm).
Center Granny Square = about 8 x 8 in. (20.5 x 20.5 cm).

BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

STITCH EXPLANATION:

dc2tog (dc 2 sts together) (Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops) twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook – 1 st decreased.
sc3tog (sc 3 sts together) (Insert hook in next st and draw up a loop) 3 times, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook – 2 sts decreased.

NOTES:

1. Blanket is worked from the center out beg with Center Granny Square. Two V-Shaped Segments are worked over 2 side edges of Center Granny Square, then Corner Triangles are worked across the top edges of the V-Shaped Segments completing the center rectangle.
2. Borders are worked around the entire outer edge of the center rectangle.
3. See Diagram for arrangement of Granny Square, V-Shaped Segments, Corner Triangles, and Borders.
4. To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete the st. Proceed with new color. Fasten off old color.

l20643e

BLANKET
CENTER GRANNY SQUARE

With A, ch 4, sl st in first ch to form a ring.

Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2), (3 dc in ring, ch 2) 3 times, 2 dc in ring; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 12 dc (four 3-dc groups) and 4 ch-2 sps.

Rnd 2: Sl st in first ch-2 sp, ch 7 (counts as dc, ch 4 in this rnd and in all following rnds), 2 dc in same ch-2 sp, dc in next 3 dc, *(2 dc, ch 4, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp (corner made), dc in next 3 dc; rep from * 2 more times, dc in first ch-2 sp again; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 28 dc (four 7-dc groups) and 4 corner ch-4 sps.

Rnds 3-5: Sl st in first ch-4 sp, ch 7, 2 dc in same ch-4 sp, dc in each dc to next ch-4 sp, *(2 dc, ch 4, 2 dc) in next ch-4 sp, dc in each dc to next ch-4 sp; rep from * 2 more times, dc in first ch-4 sp again; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 76 dc (four 19-dc groups) and 4 corner ch-4 sps at the end of Rnd 5. Fasten off.

Rnd 6: From RS, join B with sl st in any ch-4 sp, ch 7, 2 dc in same ch-4 sp, dc in each dc to next ch-4 sp, *(2 dc, ch 4, 2 dc) in next ch-4 sp, dc in each dc to next ch-4 sp; rep from * 2 more times, dc in first ch-4 sp again; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 92 dc (four 23-dc groups) and 4 corner ch-4 sps. Fasten off.

← Welcome and Supplies List

Weeks 3 and 4 →

The Little Boy Blue Blanket (Pattern Number: L20643) was designed especially to compliment Lion Brand’s Heartland Yarn Collection. Crochet along approved and pattern reprinted with permission from Lion Brand Yarn Company.

, ,

22 Responses to Little Boy Blue Blanket CAL: Weeks 1 and 2

1. Aida F. September 30, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Hi Kara. Thank you for the pattern and I’m happy to be joining another one of your CALs, the Matryoshka Doll CAL was SO much fun, I had to join this one. See you at the CAL. 🙂

• Kara October 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

So glad to have you join in again!

2. Carrie P. September 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

I am going to give this CAL a try even though I am crocheting again after many year of not doing it. I was just wondering if you could answer a question. I went to the Lion brand link and saw that their pattern has corrections. Will your instructions have those corrections or should I print them off?
    Thanks for your time and hosting this CAL.

• Kara September 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

So glad you are going to join in! Yes, I will be posting the most up to date pattern 🙂

• Carrie P. October 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

thanks, I bought my yarn yesterday. Can’t wait to start.

3. Sonja September 30, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

I like the colors you chose….can you tell us which colors you are using in which location? I was planning on using different colors and was looking for a fall palette…..and you already did it!

Thanks!

• Kara October 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Thanks, Sonja! Sure, my plan is to use Joshua Tree for color A (CA), Yellowstone for CB, Acadia for CC, Everglades for CD, Shenandoah for CE, and Yosemite for CF 🙂

4. Maria September 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

I am not sure if I missed it but, I did not see what size crochet hook to use.

• Kara September 30, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

We are using a K hook 🙂

• Maria September 30, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Thanks Kara!

Maria.

5. Ana BC September 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Love the colors you chose, Kara. Looking forward to seeing your progress….

• Kara October 1, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Thanks, Ana 🙂

6. Linsey October 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

This is such a fun idea! Just found your blog through Repeat Crafter Me, and if I weren’t going to be out of the country for a month this fall, I would rush right out and jump on board with this CAL. I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for future CALs and can’t wait to participate!

• Kara October 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

I hope you do, Linsey 🙂

7. Beverly October 4, 2013 at 6:12 am #

I’m in the Rav group but just had to post here also. 🙂 I am loving this pattern! I’m a knitter first, by choice but when I saw the blanket, I just knew I had to have one! I’m using Cotton Fleece from Browm Sheep Co. As soon as I’m finished I’d love to try it again with some bulky yarn. I’m Alrady planning for a Christmas color theme. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern with us!!
    Mahmoo on Ravelry

8. Babs October 5, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

I’m using a J hook– found the K to be too loose. Couldn’t find the Heartland yarn – so bought Bernat Waverly (medum weight #4) in nice earth tones. I’ve already started and am up to those darn triangles. They look a bit weird, but I’m hoping it’ll block out once we get to the rounds.
    Is there a specific site where I’ll find other’s posting (did the Crochet Camp this summer and enjoyed the interactions!)
    Also would like suggestions as to the best way to tie in all these loose ends. Never made anything with so many strings!
    Thanks!

9. Cassandra October 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

I’ve never done a CAL before, though it sounds fun. From what I understand you will post parts of the pattern a little at a time so we are all working on the same thing, right? I LOVE the colors you picked out! Not only are they beautiful colors, but those are my favorite national parks! I always crochet a project on the way to each park then (most of the time 🙂 ) name that project after the park! When I went to Acadia it was fall and I was crocheting socks. I found it amusing that the yarn I was using was the same color as the park at that time of year! 🙂

10. carrie December 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

I knew this CAL started three months ago but I didn’t have time to make it then, so I’m starting now. I hope you don’t mind.

I wanted to use the same colors as you did or something similar so I clicked on e kink called “lion brand heartland”. I found the yarns (and I think I may just be changing the colors ;)) but I can’t figure out how to actually buy them. Also is there a place where I can print out the whole pattern all at once? As I started late I won’t be able to do it with you guys and it would be easier to just get it all together.
    Thanks so Much!
    Carrie

Oh yah, you can try using my email but a lot of people have been having trouble with it. Just thought I’d warn you.

• Kara December 14, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Hi Carrie 🙂 That is great! I think you will enjoy the pattern. You can find the complete pattern here, as well as purchase the yarn. You will have to register or sign in first: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L20643.html?noImages=0

• Carrie December 16, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Thanks Kara! I can’t WAIT to start this blanket! It’ll probably have to wait tell after Christmas though, I just have to much crocheting on my plate right now :).

I found you through Sarah at repeat crafter me. I also saw you at look at what I made, by Dedri Uys. I love both of those blogs! The three of you are such talented women. You should win a metal!

• Kara December 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

What a sweet comment! Thank you 🙂

1. CAL = Crochet A-Long - QCreated - September 30, 2013

[…] I” said Q) . You can find the details to the CAL here on Ravelry or on Facebook or on the Petals and Picots Blog. Always something new on PtoP! . This morning I woke up anxiously anticipating the first post of […]