Yarn Ball Ornaments

Yarn Wrapped Ornaments
I think we have already established that I love yarn. So what better way to decorate for Christmas than with yarn! These yarn ball ornaments are super simple to make, and I love the way they came out. And, of course, the first thing I wanted to do was share them with you.

What you will need:
  • A cardboard or Styrofoam ball from your local craft store
  • 3 to 5 different colors from your scrap yarn stash
  • Hot glue gun

What to do: 1.  Add a bit of  hot glue to the ball and start wrapping the yarn around.  You can wrap in all different directions to maintain a round shape, or you can wrap the yarn in one direction to form more of an angular shape.

2.   When you have covered the whole ball, add a dab of glue to secure the yarn and weave in ends.

3.  To finish the ornament off, cut a length of yarn from each skein that can easily wrap around the ball about 6 times.  Holding the center of the strands, wrap around the ball until the strands meet (this will be the bottom of the ornament), then give the ball a 90 degree twist and wrap the yarn back to the top of the ball.  Tie a knot to secure.

4.  I finished off the balls in two different ways.  I tied a bow on one before using a strand of yarn to create a loop for hanging.  On the other ball, I made a series of knots to add a little more height.  Next, I wove in the strands from one side back and forth through the knots.  Then, I used the yarn from the other side to create a loop for hanging and wove in those ends, leaving the loop the length desired.

Finito!

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

You can find more fun Christmas and Holiday ideas by clicking here.

, , , , , ,

25 Responses to Yarn Ball Ornaments

1. Pam December 11, 2011 at 7:50 am #

I like these. They look easy to make, yet look effective.

2. Pam December 11, 2011 at 7:52 am #

Thanks for stopping by… newest follower.

3. Alyssabeth's December 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Love how these turned out!

4. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com December 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Hi! Visiting from Sundae Scoop. I love your ornaments.. very pretty! I tried making some and they didnt turn out so hot.. Ill have to try using your method. 🙂

I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party if you get a chance 🙂

5. Brittany December 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

These are adorable! Definitely going to try and make some for our tree and for my mom :). Newest follower here…loving your blog! Would be so grateful if you stopped by ours too!
    funwiththefullwoods.blogspot.com

6. Ladybird Ln December 13, 2011 at 3:18 am #

These are so much fun, I love different textures on the tree! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog, I am now following along your blog as well! I am really in awe of your crocheted ornaments, they are so BEAUTIFUL! I would love to learn how to do that someday! Crocheting is something I have no skill in… yet?

Carlee

7. Olga@Stardust-Decor&Style December 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm #

You seem to be really creative! I’ll be following so I won’t miss a thing!
    Olga

8. Vanessa December 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

Hi, Kara

I just love your ornaments. They are just lovely!

Vanessa

9. Vanessa December 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

Hi, Kara

Thank you for stopping by my blog last week. I have been sick and have not been able to stop by till now. I am a new follower too. Have a great day!

Vanessa

10. Diane December 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Great craft. I’m following you back. thanks for stopping by
    Diane @ Can Do It MOM

11. Lindsay December 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

This is such a cute idea! I would never have thought of it. Thanks for visiting my blog. I’m your newest follower! 🙂

12. Q @ JAQS December 15, 2011 at 4:19 am #

Such a great idea 🙂

Love for you to share it at my linky party here:

13. MrsFoxsSweets December 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

Great idea with endless color possibilities! I havent crocheted in almost 3 years, your blog is so inspiring. Thanks for visiting Mrs Foxs Sweets…following you back 🙂

14. LeAnn-The Modest Homestead December 16, 2011 at 12:18 am #

Thanks for your sweet comment! I love your yarn ornaments!! Following you back. =)

15. Alexis @ we like to learn as we go December 16, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

This is so cute! I’m just starting to get into crochet so your blog will be a great help! Thanks for following my blog. I’m following you right back!

16. Lindsi B December 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Pinned and LOVE!!! Would you please share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays?

17. Lolly Jane December 19, 2011 at 6:19 am #

So cute. Love this!

18. Meg {henninglove} December 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

these are so cute. love these so easy to do, definitely will have to try this next Christmas 🙂

19. Is December 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Hi Kara,
    Stopping by from Look at me party.
    I love the rustic finished of your ornaments! They will look perfect on my tree and since they are so easy to make I’m definitely going to try this.
    I’m a new follower!
    Greetings from Spain

20. Katie @ My Darling Days December 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

These are sooooooooooo cool!! Pinning {and doing} these! 🙂

21. Ang December 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

My daughter and I will make these next year! Thanks for the idea!

22. Bethany November 13, 2014 at 9:54 am #

These are lovely! What a great way to use your scraps. 🙂

23. Marilyn November 13, 2014 at 11:55 am #

This is such a great idea!

1. 50 DIY Christmas Ornaments - Do Small Things with Love - November 22, 2013

[…] Yarn Ball Ornament from Petal to Picots […]

2. 50 Homemade Christmas Ornaments. The Ultimate Gallery Of Fun Christmas Ornament Crafts. - December 13, 2013

[…] Info: Petals to Picots […]