Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf Crochet Pattern

Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf Pattern

Knit Accent Scarf Knitting Pattern

You may remember some weeks back I was gushing over this Knit Accent Scarf I made (pictured right -> if you missed it, you can click over and get the free pattern here). Well, I got so many requests from my crochet friends to make a crochet version that I knew I had to sit down and figure one out for you. And I am so happy with how it came out!! I can’t believe how similar they look. For the crochet version, I used single crochets in through back loops to mirror the garter stitch and broomstick lace rows to mirror the drop stitch rows of the knit version. Hope you enjoy it!

Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf Pattern

Here is what you need:

Add this pattern to your Ravelry Library.

Finished scarf measures approximately 6 in. × 48 in.

Ch 23.

Row 1: Work 1 sc in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each ch across (note: although working into the back bump can be optional, it makes for a more finished edge), turn — 22 sts.

Rows 2 through 8: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 1 sc in the back look only of each st across, turn — 22 sts.

Row 9: Ch 1, work 1 sc in the back look only of each st across, do not turn — 22 sts.

Row 10 (see Photo Tutorial below): Put loop from hook onto knitting needle; *insert hook into the back loop of the next stitch on the right and pull up a loop, transfer loop to needle, rep from * across, do not turn — 22 loops on hook.

Row 11 (see Photo Tutorial below): Insert hook through first loop on needle, yo and pull through loop, ch 1, work 1 sc in same loop, *inserting hook through next loop and work 1 sc, rep from * across, turn —22 sts.

Rows 12 through 15: Ch 1, work 1 sc in the back look only of each st across, turn — 22 sts.

Row 16: Ch 1, work 1 sc in the back look only of each st across, do not turn — 22 sts.

Row 17: Put loop from hook onto knitting needle; *insert hook into the back loop of the next stitch on the right and pull up a loop, transfer loop to needle, rep from * across, do not turn — 22 loops on hook.

Row 18: Insert hook through first loop on needle, yo and pull through loop, ch 1, work 1 sc in same loop, *inserting hook through next loop and work 1 sc, rep from * across, turn —22 sts.

Rows  19 through  130: Repeat Rows 12 through 18 sixteen more times or until you reach about 3 in. shy of your desired length.

Rows 131 through 138: Ch 1, work 1 sc in the back look only of each st across, turn — 22 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends. Block if desired … you can find my free tutorial on How to Block Knit and Crochet Items here.

Photo Tutorial for Broomstick Lace Rows

Row 10

how to crochet broomstick lace

how to crochet broomstick lace

Row 11

how to crochet broomstick lacehow to crochet broomstick lace

Finito!

Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf Crochet Pattern

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …
Online Crochet Class

15 Responses to Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf Crochet Pattern

1. Karen Sebor September 2, 2014 at 9:13 am #

I have never before seen such a vivid explanation of “broomstick crochet”!! Thank you SO much for yours! You have taken away any fear I might have had for trying it! Your scarves are sensationally beautiful and I am thinking what beautiful gifts they would make! Once again, thank you for sharing your expertise!! Sincerely, Karen

• Kara September 3, 2014 at 11:35 am #

I am so happy you found it helpful, Karen!

2. Karen September 2, 2014 at 10:51 am #

Hi! I need help with this please:

Insert hook through first loop on needle, yo and pull through loop, ch 1, work 1 sc in same loop, *inserting hook through next loop and work 1 sc, rep from * across, turn —22 sts.

When you yo and pull through loop-do you leave on the hook or do you pull it under the first initial loop and then chain 1 afterwards? And then do the ` sc?

Many thanks xo

• Kara September 3, 2014 at 11:35 am #

Hi Karen 🙂 You pull the loop through so you only have 1 loop remaining on your hook. Then you complete your single crochet. Hope that helps!

3. Jules September 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

Just in case anyone else is having trouble finding a “broomstick” I use a plastic ruler instead, works well.

4. Bethany September 3, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Love this!

5. Tim Meyers September 4, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

This is a beautiful pattern with a very clear explanation of broomstick lace! I like adding taller stitches to scarves for aesthetic appeal and to make scarves lighter. This seems much faster and less consuming of yarn than making a triple or quadruple crochet. I haven’t tried it yet, going to get some lightweight yarn today and give it a try. Do you have any tips for adjusting/adapting the pattern for a larger piece, such as a shawl or small lap throw (without using a tool longer than a standard hook or needle)?

Thanks for sharing your creativity!

• Kara September 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Adjusting this pattern would be super easy. Just start with a chain as wide as you would like your piece an follow the pattern until you reach your desired length.

6. pat September 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

this looks different from any broomstick stitch I’ve seen.. nice though.

7. crochetgottaloveit February 6, 2015 at 11:19 pm #

How beautiful! This scarf looks terrific! Thank you very much! 🙂
    _____
    Lee Ann

• Kara February 9, 2015 at 9:51 am #

My pleasure! So glad you like it 🙂

• Cheryl March 27, 2016 at 11:06 am #

I love this broomstick lacy pattern.. I’m going to make mine doing 2 loops instead of one, to give more texture. There for, instead of one single crochet, I’ll do two. This way there are the same number of sc as loops to keep the stitch count. Thank you for the nice scarf pattern..

1. Off the Hook Monday {Week 18} | Little Monkeys Crochet - September 8, 2014

[…] Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf Pattern | Petals to Picots […]

2. Stitch Tutorial | KatiDCreations - September 22, 2014

[…] – Loop Stitch Cre8tions Crochet Finger Crochet- Fluffy Cloud Finger Cowl Petals to Picots Broomstick Lace Look At What I Made Crocodile Flower Debi Dearest Sweet Hearts Danyel Pink Designs Mohawk […]

3. #FlashbackFriday Crochet Link Blast: Week 21: Lacy Scarves | Underground Crafter - September 18, 2015

[…] Broomstick Lace Accent Scarf (photo 11), free crochet pattern by @petalstopicots: This lacy accent scarf is the crochet version of Kara’s free pattern for the Silk Knit Scarf pattern. […]