Granny Hexagon Crochet Edging

Granny Hexagon Afghan

Awhile back I shared with you my creative journey making the beginnings of this lovely granny hexagon afghan. If you missed it, you can find the granny hexagon pattern here and my tutorial for joining them as you go here. I let it sit for awhile deciding how I wanted to finish it off. I debated making a bunch of half hexagons to even off all the sides, but with some futzing around I came up with this pretty granny hexagon crochet edging that fills in those granny valleys as you work around your afghan!

Granny Hexagon Crochet Edging

Granny Hexagon Crochet Afghan

• your joined hexagons 🙂
  • 4 colors of worsted weight yarn (1 in the same color you used to join your hexagons)
  • H hook
  • scissors and tapestry needle

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations or here to reference Crochet Stitch Symbols.

The first round we will be doing actually consists of 3 steps which will fill in the valleys where the hexagons were joined.

Step 1

Using the same color as used to join your squares, join yarn in the ch-1 sp from Round 4 at the top peak of any hexagon (as worked in the pattern here). Ch 1 (does not count as stitch), work 1 sc in same ch-1 sp, ch 2, work 1 sc in next ch-2 sp along side of hexagon, ch 2, work 1 sc in next ch-2 sp along side of hexagon, work 5 dc in ch-1 sp at the bottom where two hexagons were joined, work 1 sc in the next ch-2 sp along edge of opposite hexagon. Turn

Step 2

Ch 2 and work 1 sc in next ch-2 sp along edge of opposite hexagon (counts as dc), work 1 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, Sl st in sc that was worked in the first ch-2 space of Step 1. Turn.

Step 3

Ch 1, drop loop from your hook and pick it up through the first ch-2 sp made in Step 1, work 1 sc in same ch-2 sp, ch 1, skip first st, *work 1 sc in next st, ch 1 and skip next st, rep from * twice more, work 1 sc in ch-2 sp that first sc of Step 2 was made, ch 1.

Now repeat Steps 1 through 3 starting with 1 sc in top peak of next hexagon. Repeat across.

Granny Hexagon Crochet Edging Stitch Diagram

I hope I didn’t lose you! I know it seems tricky but once you “get it” it will be a breeze and I think you will be very please with how pretty it is. The next 4 rounds are easy peasy and can be worked on any granny blanket.

Round 1:  Join next color in any ch-1 sp from our “fill in” round just done. Ch 3 (counts as dc), work 1 dc in same ch-sp, work 2 dc in next ch-sp and each ch-sp around blanket, working [2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc] in each corner, join and fasten off.

Round 2: Join next color between any 2 dc groupings, ch 1 (does not counts as stitch), work 1 sc between same dc grouping as join, ch 1, *work 1 sc between next 2 dc grouping, ch 1, repeat from * around, working [1 sc, ch 1, 1 sc] in each corner space, join and fasten off.

Round 3:  Join next color in any ch-1 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), work 1 dc in same ch-sp, work 2 dc in next ch-sp and each ch-sp around blanket, working [2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc] in each corner, join and fasten off.

Round 4: Join next color between any 2 dc groupings, ch 1 (does not counts as stitch), work 1 sc between same dc grouping as join, ch 1, *work 1 sc between next 2 dc grouping, ch 1, repeat from * around, join and fasten off.

Weave in ends.

Granny Hexagon Crochet Edging

Cluster Burst Granny Square pattern

Up for another afghan?

Try my Cluster Burst Granny Square pattern here.

27 Responses to Granny Hexagon Crochet Edging

1. Pamela June 30, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Thank you for your lovely patterns. I will have to try this one.

2. Linda June 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

I love all things granny and this edging is beautiful. thanks so much for sharing.

3. Nadine Roberts July 1, 2014 at 8:28 am #

I absolutely love how you did the edging. Now I can see this a top that I want to make.

4. Holly July 29, 2014 at 11:07 pm #

Hi! I love your patterns! I am currently making this for my mom and was wondering how many hexagons you ended up making and how big your finished product was? Thanks!

• Kara July 30, 2014 at 10:46 am #

Hi Holly 🙂 Sure, I was planning on putting together a final afghan post too. I used 217 hexagons and joined them to form a big hexagon blanket that measured approximated 70 in x 70 in. Hope that helps!

• Kristen September 28, 2015 at 12:21 pm #

I’ve just completed this afghan…well kind of. I made mine into a huge rectangle using 357 hexagons. Anyway, I was fixin to start mu edging & have a big problem…I don’t know how to edge the parts that are a half hexagon instead of the triangle you have listed the directions for… How would you go about filling that part in? I was thinking of googling how to crochet a half hexagon…but figured I would try you out first. let me know please.

P.S. This afghan has turned out so beautiful. I actually impressed myself! Thank you for the pattern!

• Kara September 29, 2015 at 5:30 pm #

Hi Kristen 🙂 I am so happy to hear that you are pleased with your afghan!!! Here is how I took care of those edges … http://www.petalstopicots.com/2014/06/granny-hexagon-crochet-edging/

• Kristen October 24, 2015 at 6:00 pm #

This link just put me back on the same page I was already on. I was asking for a pattern for a half hexagon. I think I got a bot answer.

• Kara October 24, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

Hi Kristen 🙂 No, I am not a bot. I don’t have a half hexagon pattern. I linked to my edging which is how I filled in those valleys instead of using a half hexagon.

5. Abby August 26, 2014 at 1:32 am #

Hi I loved this pattern and my final product looks beautiful. But could you explain a little more what to do when I reach the shorter ends were there are the half hexagon spaces for the edging? Thank you#

6. Carmen February 24, 2015 at 3:00 pm #

Me gusta mucho este borde.
    Un saludo,
    Carmen

7. Lourdes Manners February 26, 2015 at 12:11 pm #

Thanks so much for the beautiful pattern.

8. Georgina May 19, 2015 at 12:18 pm #

Hi,
    That looks great for the v-shaped bits. What do you do for the half-hex-shaped bits?

9. Crochet Hooks May 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm #

lovely afghan! I had made a hexagon afghan and had the hardest time getting a smooth even edge – thanks for this!

10. Carlita madonia July 4, 2015 at 11:28 pm #

I was wondering if you could tell me how much yarn for the jaygo and edging? I love this beautiful Afghan.

11. julie December 29, 2015 at 2:04 am #

hi
    I would love to know how to fill the half hex spaces while doing the edging. I see how to fill the v spaces but not the half hexes. thank you.

12. Linda July 31, 2016 at 7:01 pm #

Okay, so I am almost finished with this afghan. I am using a multi-shades of blue yarn with turquoise as the outer color (instead of white). My next task is trying to figure out how to do the edging. In the points you[‘ve included instruction for how to do it, but you did not include instruction for the other part, the part that looks like a half a hexagon. It’s not the same shape on all four sides. Can anyone help me with directions for that?

• Kara August 1, 2016 at 9:31 am #

Hi Linda 🙂 I didn’t use any half hexagons since I attached my hexagon motifs to form a hexagon shaped afghan as well.

13. Elizabeth S. November 3, 2016 at 11:16 pm #

Hey…so I think I followed the pattern wrong. I think I am just now realizing that it is supposed to be a circle, but my afghan is a rectangle. How do I do the edging on it? I really love it, but I want to finish it!

• Kara November 9, 2016 at 10:15 am #

Hi Elizabeth 🙂 You can follow my edging pattern for the edges that have that little valley. You will have to look up a half hexagon pattern online to fill the larger spots. Hope that helps!

14. Sonja February 16, 2017 at 8:16 pm #

I made a prayer shawl using hexagon grannies. It has 38 hex4 rows of hexagons

15. Sonja February 16, 2017 at 8:38 pm #

This is what I was going to say:
    I made a prayer shawl using hexagon grannies. Each of my hexagons have 5 rounds (2 more than yours). My prayer shawl has 38 hexagons over 4 rows (Row 1 has 11, Row 2 has 10, Row 3 has 9, and Row 4 has 8). I really like the edging you did for your blanket. Do you have any suggestions for how I can modify this for my prayer shawl? I’ll appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

1. Crochet Crochet Hexagon Pattern - Join As You GoPetals to Picots - June 30, 2014

[…] the hexagons until you reach your desired layout. When you have the size afghan you like, click here to see how I added my crochet […]

2. Knitting & Crochet Picks of the Week for July 4, 2014 at Hands Occupied - July 4, 2014

[…] stitch sunglass case -margo knits crochet tshirt yarn necklace -miss amy phillips granny hexagon crochet edging -petals to picots crochet baby flip flops -whistle & ivy amigurmi owl -hello yellow yarn […]

3. Crochet Hexagon Afghan Pattern and Tutorial - Petals to Picots - September 4, 2014

[…] that you are all joined you’re ready for your edging. Click here for my Granny Edging pattern that includes filling in the little valleys  between your […]

4. #FlashbackFriday Crochet Link Blast: Week 16: Hexagon Motifs | Underground Crafter - September 2, 2015

[…] This lovely 3 round hexagon pattern also includes links to a join-as-you-go tutorial and edging pattern so you can make your own granny hexagon […]

5. busy hands for little ones – joy in the everyday - March 6, 2017

[…] itself to the even edges that this semi-ocd momma would like.  I scoured the internet for help.  Here’s what I came up with.  It fills in the valleys and creates a nice edge.  I do believe I will stick […]