Crochet Owl Apple Cozy

crochet owl

Last week I shared an “apple” apple cozy which has since been claimed by my daughter. If you missed it you can get the pattern here. I also made a little monster one for my son, which I will also be sharing here soon.  So now I wanted to make one just for me … and since I’m slightly owl-obsessed this crochet owl cozy is perfect for me!

Crochet Owl Apple Cozy

Here’s what you will need:

• two coordinating colors of worsted weight cotton yarn for the body; small amount of white for the eyes and an additional eye color
  • H hook
  • two 5/8 in. buttons
  • a small piece of felt for the nose (optional)
  • tapestry needle, scissors

Bottom

With main color, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 6 sc in ring, join — 6 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 12 sts.

Round 3: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in next, *2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * around, join — 18 sts.

Round 4: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around, join — 24 sts.

Rounds 5 through 11: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 24 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 6 in.

With main color, ch 24, join with a Sl st in furthest ch from hook to form a ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 1 sc in same ch as join and in each ch around, join — 24 sts.

Rounds 2 through 8: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 24 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 6 in. Flatten the cylinder. Working through the chain end of your cylinder, close top by joining the  yarn through chains and working a single crochet edge across. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Eyes (make 2)

With white, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 6 sc in same ring, join — 6 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 12 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 10 in. Use tail to connect eyes together side by side; use a tapestry needle to whip st together across two stitches. Leave the rest of the tail for sewing eyes onto your piece. With your coordinating color, join yarn on side of right eye and Slip st along top of eyes until you reach the side of the left eye. Fasten off and weave in end. Use your eye color to make a french knot in the center of each eye.

Wings (make 2)

With your coordinating color, ch 8.

Round 1: Work 1 sc in second ch from hook, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 ch, 3 sc in last ch do not turn; working across opposite side of ch, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 ch, 2 sc in last ch, join — 16 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, ch 4 (button loop made), 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, 2 sc in last, join — 18 sts and button loop.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 6 in. for sewing wings onto your piece. If desired, embellish each wing with your main color by working a surface stitch across center of wing.

Ears (make 2)

Make little fringe tufts for the ears by cutting 6 lengths of yarn each measuring 4 in. long. Holding the strands together, fold them in half to form a loop on one side. Insert hook into the top corner, from back to front, and pull through the loop just enough to be able to pull the ends of the yarn through. Tug gently to tighten.

Finishing

Using a tapestry needle and the long tails, sew top and bottom together along 6 sts only forming a hinge on which the top will open (this will be the back of your cozy). Sew the eyes to the front of the top piece as shown above. Attach each wing to the top piece beside each eye as shown.  Find button placement on your bottom piece in relation to your button loops and sew buttons into place. Weave in ends. Add a small felt triangle for the nose or you can embroider one instead if you prefer.

crochet owl

Check out my other free cozy patterns.

Clockwise from top left: Apple (this post), Blue MonsterGreen MonsterOwl.

labeledcozyCollage

, ,

19 Responses to Crochet Owl Apple Cozy

1. Preeti August 20, 2013 at 5:37 am #

Cute cozy!!:) thanks for sharing!!

2. Debi Y. August 20, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Oh that’s so cute! Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. :)

3. Kate August 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Love it! I’m owl obsessed too, so now I have another owl pattern to add to my to make list. Thank you for sharing! Blessings :-)

4. Jan G August 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

5. merri August 21, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Love this, but don’t crochet. Do u have this in a knitting pattern?

6. Crochetadas August 25, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Lovely idea, perfect for back to school!!!

7. Hanni September 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Kara, this is the cutest crochet owl I have seen! It is a must for me, for the apple-lover and owl-maniac :)
    Thank you for sharing!

• Kara September 3, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Thanks, Hanni! So glad you like it :)

8. Tamara - Moogly October 7, 2013 at 11:55 am #

Just too cute Kara! I featured it on Moogly this morning!

9. Jana March 19, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

Wonderful pattern. I made a lavender filled owl stuffy for my daughter loosely based on this pattern. I used a J hook. I added an increase row to make it 30 sc across. I added more rows to lengthen it and gradually decreased sc to 18 across. I lengthened the wings by 2 ch. I also crocheted the beak. Turned out super cute. My daughter loves owls. Hopefully it’ll be a keepsake for her for years to come. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

• Kara March 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Sounds so cute!

10. Deb Snider August 19, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing free patterns. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

• Kara August 22, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Thanks so much, Deb!

11. cammie September 9, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

is the H hook the 5mm? My owl does not look big enough to hold an apple, so I wanted to make sure I had the right hook.

• Jesi October 22, 2014 at 10:11 am #

I actually don’t even have an H so I’m using an I and I’m not thinking it’s going to be big enough either, this looks like it would hold a crab apple. I think I’ll have to just make up my own pattern…

12. Bex October 26, 2014 at 12:16 am #

Ok… normally I don’t comment on free patterns because, hey, they’re free! You put a lot of time and effort into making a pattern that you are proud of and putting it out there for everyone to enjoy for free. And I appreciate that greatly!! But I’m having the worse time with this pattern. It’s so adorable for you, and mine looks massively stoned out. Like… “lay off the acid, bird. Lay off the acid.” Obviously, you are crocheting for much smaller apples than I am used to, so I added two more increase rows, and then effectively added two more rows to every other part so that it was consistent. Other than making it larger, I did nothing else to the pattern, and I am so confused as to what I did wrong. LOL I was making this for a friend who is having a bad day, and I just hope she has a good sense of humor…

But seriously, your pattern is adorable, it is a little hard to follow (I.E. “Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 6 in. Flatten the cylinder. Working through the chain end of your cylinder, close top by joining the yarn through chains and working a single crochet edge across. Fasten off, weave in ends.” That confused me a little and I ended up joining the top, not the chain portion, and I weaved in ALL ends there, so when I got to the joining part, I only had a small bit of yarn to join the top and bottom), but it was a ton of fun to make!

1. Friday Finds 9-6-13 | At Play Blog - September 6, 2013

[…] Owl Apple Cozy from Petals to Picots – Can you believe this is an APPLE cozy?!?  What teacher wouldn’t love this for an […]

2. The Fabulous Kara Gunza of Petals to Picots: Designer Showcase! - moogly - March 24, 2014

[…] Owl Apple Cozy: This is the cutest apple cozy I’ve ever seen! Too good to eat! […]

3. Super Quick Stashbuster… Lunchbox Notes or Valentines » catinaanderson.com - September 1, 2014

[…] leaving something small and crochet for my kids in their lunchbox each week.  It started out with apple cozies for the first semester.  Fun… but now my kids are sick of apples and we have way more cozies […]