Crochet Minion Pencil Case

crochet minion pencil case

I recently took my kids to see Despicable Me 2 and now my one daughter is minion crazy.  She asked if I would make her a pencil case like this one that I shared with you, but as a crochet minion. I took on that challenge and here is what I came up with. She loves it! Hope your little ones do too!

Crochet Minion Pencil Case

• cardboard paper towel tube
  • worsted weight yarn, small amounts of black, blue, yellow, white, and gray
  • G hook
  • ½ in. black button
  • tapestry needle, scissors

Color Change Tip: In the stitch before the color change is to begin, insert hook as usual and pull up a loop, then yarn over with new color and pull through both loops on hook, continue with new color.  Carry old color behind stitches unless directed to fasten off.

Cut cardboard paper towel tube into two pieces, one piece 6 in. long and the second piece 2 in. long. Discard remaining section.

Bottom

With black, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 6 sc in ring, join — 6 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 12 sts.

Round 3: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in next, *2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * around, join — 18 sts.

Round 4: Ch 1, working in back loops only, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 18 sts.

Round 5: Join blue, ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 18 sts.

Using the long length of cardboard tube, check your fit. I prefer to then keep the tube placed and continue crocheting around it from here on.

Rounds 6 through 15: Repeat Round 5 — 18 sts.

Round 16: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join, 1 sc into the next st changing to yellow on last yarn over, work 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts changing to blue on last yarn over of fifth st,  1 sc in next 4 sts changing to yellow on last yarn over of 4th st, work 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts changing to blue on last yarn over of fifth st,  1 sc in next 2 sts  around, join — 18 sts.

Rounds 17 and 18: Repeat Round 16 — 18 sts.

Round 19: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each of the next 6 sts changing to yellow on last yarn over of the sixth st, work 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts changing to blue on last yarn over of fourth st,  1 sc in next 7 sts, join — 18 sts.

Round 20: Join yellow, ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 18 sts.

Rounds 21 through 26: Repeat Round 20 — 18 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 6 in.

Using the smaller length of tube and yellow yarn, repeat Rounds 1 through 10 of bottom.

Round 11: Join black, ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 18 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of approx. 6 in.

Eye

With white, make a magic ring but do not close up the whole.

Round 1: Ch 1, work 12 sc in ring, join — 12 sts.

Round 2: Join gray, ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around — 12 sts.

The center of the eye (the magic ring) is also the buttonhole. Make sure to test the size with your button.  The button should go through easily but without slipping through.  Use the tail of your yarn to adjust the size of the ring for your button. Once you get the correct size, use a tapestry needle to weave the tail back and forth through the backs of your stitches to secure it.

Finishing

Line up the joining seams and tails of both parts. Using a tapestry needle and the long tails, sew top and bottom together along 5 sts only forming a hinge on which the top will open. Find the center of your front and sew the button on Round 11 of the top piece. Line up the buttonhole (the eye) with the button and sew the bottom of the eye to the bottom piece. Weave in ends.

To make arms, join yellow to center yellow stitch of Round 17 of bottom, chain 17, join to center yellow stitch at other side of Round 17. Using a tapestry needle and black yarn, make a few overlay stitches to secure the arms to the front of the case.

crochet minion pencil case

crochet pencil case pattern

Ready for another pencil case crochet pattern? Check out the free pattern for this striped case here.

And you can find even more free crochet patterns here.

48 Responses to Crochet Minion Pencil Case

1. Preeti August 13, 2013 at 4:20 am #

Wow!! That looks cool !! :) I also liked the way you added a button to make the eye:) thanks for sharing!!

• Kara August 15, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

So glad you like it, Preeti :)

2. Debi Y. August 13, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Your little minion is just so cute! Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. :)

• Tamara - Moogly August 13, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Love it Kara! Featured on Moogly! :D

• Kara August 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Thanks so much for the feature, Tamara!!

• Kara August 15, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

My pleasure, Debi :)

3. Kate Lantry August 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

That is so cool! You’re so creative. Thanks for sharing :-)

• Kara August 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Hope you like it :)

4. Elisabeth Andree August 14, 2013 at 6:39 am #

This is so nice too, especially the way you created the little arms and hand:)

• Kara August 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Thanks, Elisabeth :)

5. Marilyn August 14, 2013 at 10:05 am #

This is awesome, Kara! It’s genius that they button is the pupil of the eye! My daughter also LOVES minions!

• Kara August 14, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Thanks so much, Marilyn!

6. carol davies August 14, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Hi to do the eye do you change to the grey on round 2 as it does not say so. Many thanks

• Kara August 14, 2013 at 11:04 am #

You are correct, the second round of the eye is done in gray. I will update the pattern now. Thanks for the catch!

7. Steph F August 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! We also have a family of Despicable Me minion fans! I’m finishing it up now. My paper towel tube ended up collapsing on the ends, so I got some plastic canvas and cut it to the same size as the paper towel tube pieces. I sewed it together into tube shapes, then used it instead of the paper towel tube. At both of the open tube ends I sewed the minion body to the plastic canvas openings to anchor it. It is much sturdier than the paper towel tubes, it is cheap – one sheet was $.59 and will make several – and I think it will last longer. Hope this will help someone! And now my daughter wants a Hello Kitty one….any patterns for that?? Lol.

• Kara August 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

That’s a great idea!! Thanks so much for sharing. And I’ll have to mull that Hello Kitty idea around :)

• Sandra Conway September 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

You did a great job, and a nice idea for the kids, I’m going to try one and see how it comes out. Thanks for sharing.

8. Micki H August 16, 2013 at 2:48 am #

I love this! If nobody has pointed you to Day by Day Crochet (she’s on FB) then I’m going to. She makes custom clay handle crochet hooks and has just made a TON of minion hooks. I can see your pencil holder doubling as a crochet hook case. (Especially if it’s filled with minion crochet hooks!) :D

• Kara August 17, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

I have to check that out. Thanks, Micki!

9. Lynn August 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Was wondering what to do with the leftover yarn from the large stuffed minion I made last month!

10. Irene August 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

I love this minion pencil case it is so so cute. I am going to crochet this cutie for my grandson. He loves “Despicable Me” and so do I. My grandson has seen the second movie but I haven’t.
    Thank you very much for sharing your pattern.

11. Pauline September 23, 2013 at 5:22 am #

Love the pattern. A quick question – in the rounds where both blue and yellow are used, do you run the yarn across the back or leave tails to sew in after?
    Thanks

• Kara September 23, 2013 at 7:58 am #

Hi Pauline :). Yes, for those rounds I carry the yarn across the back. Hope that helps!

• Susan Smith September 26, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Thanks for sharing. I too have used the plastic canvas. Was just thinking to sew the goggle on the strap part and the eye button on the lower half. Guess this is not that different, but thought it might be easier to open and close the case? The original was on the bottom with the chain loop on the top.

• Susan Smith September 26, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Would it work like that do you think?

• Kara September 27, 2013 at 8:15 am #

It sounds like it would but I can’t know for sure :)

12. Julie October 13, 2013 at 7:28 am #

So adorable! And really clever the way it buttons closed with the minion’s eye. What a great pattern, thank you!

• Kara October 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks, Julie :)

• Lynne October 27, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Thanks for the pattern loved making it. One down ten more orders to make!!!!!!!

13. Shelly December 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Excellent instructions..a bit tricky working with the tube inside. I emptied my paper towel roll, but afterward, I wish I had used a wrapping paper roll. I’m not sure how durable it is, but my college student will probably just have it in her desk as a decoration! Thank you for your creativity.

• Kara December 8, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

So glad you liked it!

14. Ellen Rener January 2, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Hi, just wanted you to know I tried this pattern and adapted it to fit a sugar free lemonade container(like crystal light). It turned out great and I think the container makes it much more crush free for back packs or whatever

15. Carolynn D'Mello January 22, 2014 at 7:30 am #

Hi Kara,
    This is an amazing pattern. Thank you so much for sharing it with very good instructions. Loved making it.

16. Minionfan February 3, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

Thank you for the pattern!! I’ve made it: http://milicucc.blogspot.hu/2014/02/2-azaz-elso-muvem.html
    This my one,of my favourite things. So thanks :)

17. maseera April 29, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

thankyouu

18. maseera April 29, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

hii..thankkyouuu sooo much..i m very new to crochetting…but i made it…crochet minion is my first project…i made it for my younger brother…thankyiuuu soo much fr sharing d patternn

• Kara May 1, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

So glad you liked it! Congratulations of your first project!!

19. DiAnne Sundberg May 20, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

When I first saw the picture I thought it was made from old Pringles can! Love it!

20. Lisa Natterer July 8, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

Hi Kara,
    wanted to let you know, that I made your Minion pencil case for my (big!) granddaughter and her face was very similiar to what I saw, when she was a little girl :-). Have a photo of it but realise, I cannot post it here. Will try on fb.
    Thank you!
    Best regards from Vienna,
    lisa

1. 35 Back to School Crafts, Gifts and Project Ideas - August 22, 2013

[…] 1. Crocheted Minon Pencil Case from Petals to Picots 2. Back to School Teacher’s Gift from The Happy Scraps 3. Back to School Wreath from Atop Serenity Hill 4. Pencil Holder from Optimistic Mommy 5. Bee Themed Teacher Card from Repeat Crafter Me 6. DIY Gumball Machine Teacher’s Gift from Just Dip it in Chocolate 7. Felt Apple Notebook Hugger from Small Things with Love 8. Printable Class Schedules from Pitter and Glink 9. Back to School Check-list from Mums Make Lists 10. Book Hugger Bookmarks from Organized 31 11. Ball Jar Teacher’s Gift from 365(ish) Days of Pinterest 12. Apple Chalkboard Frame from Pitter and Glink 13. Chalkboard Treat Bag from Summer Scraps 14. DIY Chalkboard from Michelle Lea Designs 15. Back to School Décor from The CSI Project 16. Back to School Photo Frames from Naptime Creations 17. Folded Paper Pocket for Books from Crafty Journal 18. How to Make Friends from One Creative Mommy 19. DIY Duck Tape Pencil Pouch from Ya Gotta Have a Hobby 20. Felt Kitty Pencil Case from Small Things with Love 21. Cool Excuse Notes from Michelle Lea Designs 22. Motivational Binder Covers from Second Chance to Dream 23. Crocheted Pencil Case from Petals to Picots 24. Portable Homework Station from The Benson Street 25. Pencil Flowers from About a Mom 26. Teacher Gift from the Moody Fashionista 27. Glitter Stapler from Pitter and Glink 28. 10 Thrift Store Tips for buying School Clothes from Domestic Bliss Sqaured 29. Best Back to School Fonts from A Typical English Home 30. Personalized Clipboards from Just a Girl and Her Blog 31.Teacher Appreciation Gifts from The Pin Junkie 32. Free Lunch Box Pintable from The Pinning Mama 33. School Work Art Display from Simplistically Sassy 34. Teacher’s Homework from Juggling Act Mama 35. Teacher Gift from One Artsy Mama […]

2. Free Crochet Minion Patterns – 12 Patterns | The Crochet Crowd Blog - August 23, 2013

[…] Minion Pencil Cases […]

3. 35 Back to School Projects - Do Small Things with Love - September 7, 2013

[…] with Love Apple Chalkboard Frame from Pitter and Glink Chalkboard Treat Bag from Summer Scraps Crocheted Minon Pencil Case from Petals to Picots DIY Chalkboard from Michelle Lea Designs Back to School Photo Frames from […]

4. Crea adornos minion - October 11, 2013

[…] servir también para lapicero pero… ¿qué os parecería uno hecho a ganchillo como éste? En Petals to Picots también nos dan todos los detalles para que podamos […]

5. 36 Free Minion Patterns - The Knit Wit by Shair - October 14, 2013

[…] 27. Minion Egg Cozy 28. Coffee Cup Sleeve 29. Minion hat with alternatives for girl minion 30. Minion pencil case 31. Premie Minion hat 32. Minion hat and diaper cover 33. Purple Minion 34. Crochet Hat with smile […]

6. Free Minion Crochet Patterns - May 16, 2014

[…] Minion Pencil Cases […]

7. 51 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts - Do Small Things with Love - June 6, 2014

[…] Crochet Minion Pencil Case from Petal to Picots […]

8. 15 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts For Kids DIY Ready | Projects | Crafts | Recipes - DIY Ready | Projects | Crafts | Recipes - June 12, 2014

[…] via petalstopicots […]