American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern

American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern

I always find myself admiring Lucy’s crochet wreaths on Attic 24, like this one here and this one here, so I thought it would be fun to try one of my own. With the 4th of July approaching, a patriotic wreath seemed the perfect idea. I love how it came out and am looking forward to making one for every holiday! Hope you enjoy it …

American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern

• 12 in. Styrofoam wreath
  • red, white, and blue worsted weight yarn
  • G and H hooks
  • tapestry needle
  • pearl pins (optional)

Wreath

H hook

With blue, Ch 19 (or the length you need to fit around the tube of the wreath).

Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, turn — 18 sts.

Rows 2–35: Ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in each st across, turn — 18 sts

Rows 36–39: Join red, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in each st across, turn — 18 sts.

Rows 40–43: Join white, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in each st across, turn — 18 sts.

Rep Rows 36-43 8 more times.

Rows 108-111: Join red, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in each st across, turn — 18 sts.

Row 112: Join blue, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in each st across, turn — 18 sts.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Star (make 7 or as many as desired)

G hook

With white, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1, work *[1 sc, 1dc, ch 2, 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 dc]  in ring, rep from * 4 more times, join.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern

To assemble your wreath, fold strip in half and Sl st Rows 1 and 112 together to form a ring. Sew ring to wreath as in Lucy’s tutorial here. Arrange stars on blue portion of wreath as desired. Stitch into place or use pearl pins to fasten to wreath (another of Lucy’s genius ideas!).

American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern

Click here for more free 4th of July patterns.

patriotic crochet patterns

, , , ,

45 Responses to American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern

1. priscilla June 11, 2013 at 8:09 am #

Love this !!! Thanks so much for the pattern !

• Kara June 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

My pleasure, Priscilla!

• Phyllis June 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

What a great idea. Thanks for the pattern, Kara.

• Kara June 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Hope you enjoy it :)

2. Sandy June 11, 2013 at 9:37 am #

This is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern with us, I can’t wait to make one :)

• Kara June 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Hope you enjoy it :)

3. Ana BC June 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Super cool wreath! love it, Kara ♥ Ana BC

4. Debbie Chavis June 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Such a cute idea, can’t wait to make one! Thanks for sharing!

• Kara June 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

My pleasure! Enjoy :)

5. Tina June 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

This is so cute. Can’t wait to make one for my family

• Kara June 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Hope you enjoy it!

6. Suzanne June 26, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Was just pondering how to make a Fourth of July wreath last night. Had a general idea what I wanted to do, then got the email with your pattern from All Free Crochet with what I was pondering … but easier! Thank you!

• Kara June 26, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Yay! So glad it came in handy to you. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it :)

7. Beverly Nulik June 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

I love the 4th of July Wreath, but it took 25 pages of precious paper to get to it. What a waste.

• Kara June 26, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Hi Beverly :) Glad you like the pattern. You should be able to choose the page range to print on your printer. That is what I usually do when printing off the internet. Hope that helps.

• Suzanne Broadhurst June 27, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

There’s also a site called Print Friendly (i have no connection to them, just heard about the site through friends).

It has made printing crochet patterns so much easier. You can either enter the URL of the page – or use their little bookmarklet – and it will give you options, such as Remove Images and Delete This. You can delete the unnecessary bits.

Also, when printing patterns, it’s important to go to the actual page of the post rather than the main blog link, otherwise the print button thinks you want everything, not just what you see on screen. Easiest way to make sure you are on the post’s page is to click the title of it.

Hope that helps!

• Kara June 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

I just downloaded the plugin in for it so now there is an icon at the bottom of my posts for people to print from. Thanks for the tip :)

• Suzanne Broadhurst June 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Oh! I didn’t know about the plug-in for blogs. Yay, gets even better! Thank *you* for the return tip. :-)

8. Martha Lopez June 27, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

beautiful wreath, thanks for the pattern

• Kara June 28, 2013 at 7:03 am #

Hope you enjoy it!

9. Anabel Luna June 27, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Hi Mrs Kara !…you did a great job,I love this project….wonderful idea for next week.Wow…so beautiful.

• Kara June 28, 2013 at 7:02 am #

10. Peggy June 30, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Thank you so much for this pattern; it’s just beautiful! I made one this weekend, and it will be perfect on my apartment door for Fourth of July week. And thank you so much for sharing

• Kara June 30, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

My pleasure! I am glad you like it :)

11. Suzanne Broadhurst July 5, 2013 at 11:01 am #

I got it done in time for the week before the Fourth! Thank you for making the holiday so extra adorably American!

• Kara July 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

It looks great, Suzanne! So glad you enjoyed it :)

12. Annie July 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Love the pattern! Bought a 12 in form from the store. Got home started crocheting. Checked to see if it would go around the form. Perfect! Continued. Found I had to add more rows to fit around? When I went to stitch it together I could t get it all around. I had to stretch it. In some spots it doesn’t go all the way together. It’s ok though. No one will see the back. I’m starting the stars now. It says start with magic ring. The video says chain the amount the pattern calls for. But I don’t see an amount! I know the 4th has come and gone but I want to make this for a friend whose husband was deployed. Thanks. I’ve never used magic ring before.

• Kara July 9, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Hi Annie :) Glad the base of the wreath worked out for you! To do the stars, just ch 1 after the magic ring and start the stitches are noted in the pattern. Hope that helps!

13. Tamara - Moogly July 29, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Love this wreath Kara! I feature it on Moogly this morning: http://www.mooglyblog.com/12-free-crochet-wreath-patterns/

Thanks again for sharing your patterns!

• Kara July 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

Awesome!! Thanks so much, Tamara!

14. Randi March 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

thank you so much for the pattern I am making this!

15. Jennifer June 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks for publishing this! I have seen this pattern a few times and thought it may be too complicated for a somewhat- beginner but it was very easy to understand and super quick to work up! Came out great and I have received may compliments on it! Thanks again!

16. Evaline June 22, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

I just found the site and just love all the different patterns you have on it. I am going to do flag wreath I like to do something different on holidays. Thank you for the site and hope to use allot of patterns.

17. Denise September 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

How many chains do you start your magic ring with for the stars? The pattern doesn’t say and I’m at that step. The tutorial says to use the number of chains per pattern but I don’t see it listed here. Thanks!

• Kara September 30, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

Hi Denise :) You will be working all the stitches from Round 1 in the magic ring, starting with the ch 1 indicated at the beginning of the round. Keep in mind the magic ring is an alternate to making a beginning chain and the forming a loop. If you would rather, you can do that though … just chain about 4 chains and join and then continue the pattern at Round 1. Hope that helps!

• Denise October 1, 2014 at 9:22 am #

Thanks, I was able to figure it out after I sat down with my hook and yarn. I’m not used to have it written out that way. Thanks again!

1. 45 Patriotic Project Ideas - June 27, 2013

[…] 17. American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern from Petals to Picots […]

2. Independent Educators–Visiting for the Fourth - July 4, 2013

[…] thanks to Petals to Picots for the patriotic wreath pattern.  And to my friend, Priscilla, who inspired me to begin creating […]

3. 45 Patriotic Project Ideas! - Do Small Things with Love - October 4, 2013

[…] American Flag Wreath Crochet Pattern from Petals to Picots […]

4. 22 Patriotic DIY Decorations for Perfect 4th of July Celebration |DIYManiac - May 15, 2014

[…] Source: http://www.petalstopicots.com […]

5. Wreaths for All Year: 12 Free Crochet Wreath Patterns! - moogly - May 21, 2014

[…] American Flag Wreath by Kara Gunza, on Petals to Picots: A perfectly patriotic wreath, this one is easy to customize in your own country’s colors if you’re not USian! […]

6. Make It Crochet – Free Crochet Pattern: American Flag Wreath - May 24, 2014

[…] You can pick up your free pattern on the Petals to Picots website HERE. […]

7. Stars & Stripes pattern round up | Stitches 'n' Scraps - June 8, 2014

[…] American Flag Wreath by Kara Gunza of Petals to Picots: Dress up your door with this lovely wreath. The pattern is easy and the results are stunning. It’s what all the fashionable doors will be wearing! Also available on Ravelry. […]

8. Free Patriotic Crochet Patterns Roundup - June 19, 2014

[…] American Flag Wreath by Petals to Picots […]

9. Patriotic Pattern Roundup | Articles of a Domestic Goddess - June 24, 2014

[…] it is to throw a good party come summertime here in the south. Here she has patterns for a wreath, bunting and placemats that will jazz up your backyard barbeque this […]