Bear Lovey and Applique Pattern

My little bear has a new friend … a little bear of his own!

He was very upset when the zipper broke on his favorite bear pajamas, and we just couldn’t fix it. I tried to think of what we could do to salvage them when I remembered the cute little monster lovey blankets from Repeat Crafter Me, and I knew that’s what I would do.

I grabbed my rotary cutter and mat and cut 2 pieces of the same size out of the pajamas.

Next I worked a single crochet border around the fabric. With wrong sides together, I used my Sharp Crochet Hook to poke holes through the fabric and pull up a loop, then I used a regular crochet hook to finish off the stitch. You can continue to work your border in any style you’d like. Click here for a few blanket edging patterns you can try.

Now for adding the little bear face …

Bear Face Applique Pattern

What You Need

• worsted weight yarn
  • 2 pieces of fleece, approx 4 in. x 4 in. or your preferred size
  • Sharp Crochet Hook
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle

Face

With dark brown, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 2 (counts as st), work 7 hdc in ring, join — 8 sts.

Round 2: Ch 2 (counts as st), work 1 hdc in same st as join, 2 hdc in next st and each st around, join — 16 sts.

Round 3: Ch 2 (counts as st), work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in next st, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next st, rep from * around, join — 24 sts.

Round 4: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, Sl st in next, 5 dc in next, Sl st in each of the next 5 sts, 5 dc in next, Sl st in next, 1 sc in next, *2 sc in next, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * twice more, join — 37 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Snout

With beige, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 6 sc in ring, join — 6 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 2 sc in same st as join, 2 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next, 2 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, join — 12 sts.

Round 3: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in next, * 2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * around, join — 18 sts.

Fasten off and leave a long enough tail to sew the snout to  the face as shown. Weave in ends.

Using a tapestry needle, stitch eyes and mouth as shown. Sew bear applique to the blanket lovey.

That’s it!

My baby was so excited to get his new lovey that I barely finished my photo shoot before he grabbed it.

A little bear for my little bear … I just love it!

40 Responses to Bear Lovey and Applique Pattern

1. linda March 27, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Brilliant idea Kara! love the bear appliqué, thank you for the pattern 🙂

2. Astri March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

The fabric/crochet combo in this project is awesome. The bear is adorable. Thanks for sharing the pattern – you always do such a nice job.

3. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects March 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

THIS makes me NEED to learn crochet. This is adorable, I LOVE LOVE it!! So sweet!!

4. elisabethandree March 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

An adorable sweetie! Thanks for sharing your pattern with us:)

5. Learn2Crochet March 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Too cute! Thank you for sharing. How big is your square?

• Kara March 27, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

My square is about 4 x 4 inches and I used an H hook with worsted weight yarn for the border edging on the blanket part and for the applique 🙂

• Learn2Crochet March 28, 2013 at 2:48 am #

Thank you!

6. Learn2Crochet March 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

I forgot to ask, what size crochet hook did you use for the face and snout?

7. Ana BC March 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

I love your idea! It is super cute ♥ Ana BC

8. Winnie March 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Fantastic idea and it looks sooooooooooooo cute!!

9. Ann Rosine May 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Love your pattern. I was looking for several different type patterns for items I make and donate to our small local hospital registration/ER department. I make small huggable items for children who are coming in for tests and ER visits. It gives them something to hang on to as they have to be treated. Some kids are just scared of being poked and proded. Some are just in pain from their injuries.
    Thanks again for the idea!

• Kara May 31, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

What a wonderful thing you are doing, Ann! I am glad that you like the idea. Thank you for your service 🙂

• Penny February 26, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

love it – I was able to modify it a little and make it look somewhat like a bunny for my adorable granddaughter, and also a monkey for my super duper grandsons. I like to use them as give-aways as well.

• Kara February 27, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Aww … so cute! feel free to share a pic on my Facebook page … I would love to see them 🙂

10. Jacqueline June 8, 2013 at 8:43 am #

I love your lovey! Such a great idea! Can I use your pattern for items to sell on my craft stall, please?

• Kara June 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Absolutely!

• Jacqueline June 8, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Thank you so much – they’re adorable. I am thinking of maybe working out a pattern for a pig!
        Jackie xx

• Kara June 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

That would be so cute!

11. Rahmah June 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Thank you for sharing this curettes blanket.

• Kara June 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

My pleasure, Rahmah. Enjoy!

12. Bonnie Jean June 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

That is about the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time! It is
    just the right size for little hands to cuddle with and easy to grab and go out the door! I have Grands that will love this! Thanks for shareing! 🙂

• Kara June 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

My pleasure, Bonnie Jean! Hope you (and the Grands) enjoy it 🙂

13. patrice August 6, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

What a positively simple yet wonderful idea. Thank you for this. Its adorable.

14. dotty September 12, 2013 at 7:50 am #

This is the cutest idea that I have seen in a long time. And with my affinity for bears….well on my way to making one.

• Kara September 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

Hope you enjoy it, Dotty 🙂

15. Pam September 13, 2013 at 5:30 am #

A great idea! I’m just gonna see if I can adjust the placement of the ears and make it into a meerkat for my son. I’ll let you know how I get on!

• Kara September 13, 2013 at 7:18 am #

How fun! Let me know how it comes out 🙂

16. Linda Dorminey October 2, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

I love this idea. It’s so cute. I love unique ideas. Am going to borrow your idea and make a lovie with different textures material, fleece on one side and fuzzy/quilted on the other.
    Would you elaborate on the technique a little more? It looks like you used two colors of yarn for the border, dark brown and beige? Can you give me specifics on the border?

The edges of the blanket look very smooth (unfrayed) Did you sew the two pieces together on a sewing machine first or fold the edges in?

How specifically did you attach the head to the blanket. Are the stitches showing in the middle of the blanket in the back?

Thank you so much for sharing! Sincerely, Linda

17. Rhonda in Katy October 27, 2013 at 8:30 am #

If you decide to do more than one or two of these, you might want to purchase the skip stitch rotary blade. We crochet edges on baby blanket size fleece for our local hospitals NICU and needy and use the original #1 skip stitch. It pokes the holes for you. http://www.skipstitch.com/products–orders.html We’ve made hundreds of blankets and only replace the blade when we’ve run it over the edge of my cutting guide for the umpteenth time and it torques the blade. They haven’t gotten dull at all and are very sturdy, we’re just really rough on them.

• Jackie October 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I just used a sharp crochet hook.

18. Pat Vine December 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Glad to have found the bear face pattern. I have made several of the alien huggies and made them a little larger (about 28 inches square) and they are well received by everyone. Now I need a MOOSE face, so guess I will have to get busy and experiment! Thanks!~

19. Linda greer April 18, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Love the bear face have made the puppy loveys and like the paws too would you use the same for a bear as a dog?

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

I think that would work 🙂

• Linda greer April 22, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks

• Kara April 25, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

My pleasure, Linda!

20. Mary Kaufman June 11, 2014 at 8:56 am #

That’s a great idea to recycle and make something nice for your little boy! Your pictures are beautiful, as well as the notes, really help me understand how to do this beautiful work. Thank you for sharing this cute pattern. I have recently discovered how to print, so I’m collecting some crochet patterns.
    I’m a stay-at-home Great-grandmother, care-giver and I love this little bear pattern. You have made my day!

1. 30 Free Crochet Bear Patterns! {FCPF} Oombawka Design Crochet - July 25, 2014

[…] 14. Bear Lovey by Kara Gunza […]