Rosebud and Leaf Pattern to Embellish a Burlap Wreath

1.2K Flares Google+ 4 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 1.1K Facebook 62 Twitter 5 1.2K Flares ×

burlap wreath with felted crochet roses

I guess you can say I am on a wreath kick since the heart shaped rose wreath that I shared last week. I have been loving all the burlap wreaths I have been seeing in blogland and have been longing to make one for awhile. I used a wire wreath frame for this and used a combination of the techniques from Sarah’s tutorial on Becoming Martha and Laura’s tutorial on Top This Top That.

I thought felted flowers would be the perfect embellishment for this. The texture goes so perfectly with the burlap and I also don’t have to worry about them getting ruined by the moisture outside. I worked the flowers up with Cascade 220 wool yarn. The large rose is from this pattern that a shared a couple weeks ago. But the buds and leaf patterns are below.

Rosebud and Leaf Pattern

crochet rose pattern

• worsted weight yarn (wool if you want to felt them)
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle

For the large rose pattern, see here.

Large Bud

Ch 15.

Row 1: Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across — 14 sts.

Row 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next, 2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in next, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in next, 2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in next, 2 dc in next, 1 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 1 dc in last, turn — 21 sts

Row 3:  Ch 1 (does not count as st), work *1 sc in first st, 1 dc in next, 2 tr in next, 1 dc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * across, work 1 sc in last st — 25 sts.

Small Bud

To make the small bud, follow through Row 2 of the Large Bud pattern.

Follow same instructions for fastening off.

Leaf

Ch 8.

Round 1: Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 hdc in next, 1 dc in next, 1 tr in next, 1 dc next, 1 hdc in next, 1 sc in last ch, ch 4; working back along ch 4 just made, work 1 Sl st in 2nd ch from hook and each of the next 3 ch; working along opposite side of foundation ch, work 1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 tr, 1dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc in last ch, ch 2, Sl st into 1st ch made to join.

If you would like to felt your flowers as I did here, you can reference my How to Felt tutorial.

You can find more of my free Valentines Day Crochet Patterns here

Free Valentines Day Crochet Patterns

, ,

39 Responses to Rosebud and Leaf Pattern to Embellish a Burlap Wreath

1. Mavi. February 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Kara, es fantástica, me encanta, me encanta.
    Besos.

2. Garden Chef February 12, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Would love to try this rosebud pattern. Thanks!

3. Astri February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

What a great combination! Nice job.

4. Cynthia Landrie February 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

I love the wreath, I love the rose bud! I am on a burlap craze right now and I must make one of these!

Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone! I have a link party for recipes, crafts and Etsy shops – I would love it if you would bring this and any other crafts you would like to share! Thanks so much, see you there!

Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

5. linda February 12, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Lovely rose buds, beautiful :)

6. Nico Saich February 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

you are so talented and creative! You inspire me and I decided to follow you!

-nico

7. Amy February 13, 2013 at 2:59 am #

Love your burlap wreath! Very pretty!

8. Laura Janning February 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

great job on your wreath. Came out pretty. Thanks for linking back my tutorial.

9. Susan Carlson February 13, 2013 at 3:00 am #

Kara,
    You always make such beautiful things and are so generous with your ideas! Thanks so much! I have been wanting a classy yet inexpensive wreath for my door for ages now. This is perfect–especially since it will do well in the weather!

10. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects February 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

This is so gorgeous! I just cannot envision a burlap wreath coming out that pretty if I attempt it, though… I HATE working with that stuff! Haha. But seriously, I LOVE this!

11. Tamara February 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

This is really gorgeous – I haven’t gotten into the burlap trend til now, I think this wreath might have changed my mind! Love the little roses too! Thanks for linking up on Hookin on Hump Day!

12. Rhondda Mol February 13, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

I really like this idea! Thank you! I saw you on Hookin on Hump Day. Rhonda

13. Natas Nest February 14, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Beautiful contrast between the fine flowers and rough fabric, lovely idea! Honestly, I would never get that fabric so perfectly equal folded ;-). Thanks for sharing!

14. Tonna @ USS Crafty February 15, 2013 at 6:44 am #

Gorgeous wreath!!!

15. Preeti February 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

These rosé buds are very cute!:) thanks for sharing!

16. Kadie February 21, 2013 at 2:17 am #

So pretty I love this for spring!

17. Marilyn Clark March 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

Just gave you a shout out..Happy National Craft Month!

18. dsprague March 19, 2013 at 1:20 am #

ok did I Miss the spot where it says the hook size?? anyone know what size it is?

19. Marlene June 7, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Esta precioso, gracias por el patron.

• Kara June 8, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Thank you!

20. Joan Gosbee June 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

thanks for the rose pattern, I spent hours yesterday to find flowers for my crochet sun hats,this will be very pretty

21. Sharleen June 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Kara, I love these rose and rose bud pattern! :) I noticed the link for the heart shaped wreath says Page Not Found. Just thought I’d give you the head’s up.

• Kara June 28, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Thanks so much for letting me know, Sharleen! I fixed the link :)

• Terry June 29, 2013 at 10:31 am #

I have been looking for a rose bud pattern like this. The roses I have been doing kind-of look like other kind of flowers, even though they are pretty just not as pretty as these are.

• Kara June 30, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

22. Treasa July 1, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Anyone tried this pattern? Left me hanging…..pleases explain….did I make a wrong turn some where?

• Kara July 1, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Which part are you having trouble with, Treasa? I’d be happy to help :)

• Sidney July 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

What are the instructions for after fasten off? I have a flat piece.

• Kara July 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Hi Sidney :) Here are the instructions after Row 3: Fasten off leaving a tail of about 6 inches. Now, roll the strip so that it resembles a bud and use a tapestry needle to weave your 6-in. tail through the bottom of your flower, making sure to go through all layers of the flower.

• Sidney July 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

23. Jennifer January 13, 2014 at 11:11 am #

What a wonderful rose bud pattern. I can’t wait to try it out!

• Kara January 14, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Thanks so much, Jennifer :)

1. 5 Beautiful Fall Wreath Ideas For Hanging On The Door - Exquisite Girl - August 13, 2013

[...] Although very simple, this burlap wreath looks very chic. To make it, you need yarn, an h hook, a tapestry needle and a rose pattern. Make rosebuds and leaves of different sizes and attach them to the wreath. The contrast of colors is very nice and the actual design of the wreath is stylish.{found on petalstopicots}. [...]

2. 18 Rustic Fall Wreaths - August 18, 2013

[...] rosebud and leaf embellished wreath (via petalstopicots) [...]

3. 70 Gorgeous DIY Wreaths - September 26, 2013

[…] Rosebud and Leaf Crochet Pattern to add to Burlap Wreath from Petal to Picots […]

4. 70 DIY Wreaths - Do Small Things with Love - September 26, 2013

[…]  Rosebud and Leaf Crochet Pattern to add to Burlap Wreath from Petal to Picots […]

5. Beautiful and Totally Free Crocheted Flowers Patterns - MotivaNova - March 16, 2014

[…] And here is another rose pattern, but this time a pattern for the leaves is included. You can make perfect little roses you can use as embellishment. The free pattern is at petalstopicots.com […]

6. 35 Gorgeous DIY Spring Wreaths — the thinking closet - April 18, 2014

[…] you want some crochet and felting inspiration, definitely stop by Kara’s corner of blogland!  This burlap wreath with felted rosebuds is evidence […]