Valentine’s Spike Stitch Heart Pattern

318 Flares Google+ 26 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 277 Facebook 15 Twitter 0 318 Flares ×
Spike Stitch Crochet Heart Pattern

It’s time to make all those little Valentines for your sweeties! To get ready, I thought I would jazz up my heart pattern by adding a round of spike stitches. These would make a great accent to a hairband or hat or strung up as a decoration!

Spike Stitch Heart Pattern

• worsted weight yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle

Finished size is approx 3½ in. high by 3¾ in. wide.

Special Stitches:

Long half double crochet (Lhdc): Yarn over, insert hook into next stitch of previous row. Draw up a loop to height of current row being worked, complete as half double crochet (the Lhdc takes the place of the next stitch in the current row).

Long single crochet (Lsc): Insert hook into next stitch of previous row. Draw up a loop to height of current row being worked, complete as single crochet (the Lsc takes the place of the next stitch in the current row).

With CA, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 2 (counts as st), in ring work 3 hdc, 3 dc, ch 1, Sl st, ch 1, 3 dc, 3 hdc, join — 14 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in same st as join, *2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * twice more, ch 1, Sl st in Sl st from previous round, ch 1, **1 sc in next, 2 sc in next, rep from ** twice more, join — 20 sts.

Round 3: Join CB, ch 1 (does not count as st), *1 Lsc, 1 sc in next, rep from * twice more, 1 Lhdc, 2 hdc in next, 1 Lhdc,  [1 hdc, 1 sc] in next, ch 1, 1 Lsc in Sl st from previous round, ch 1, [1 sc, 1 hdc] in next, 1 Lhdc, 2 hdc in next, 1 Lhdc, 1 sc in next, **1 Lsc, 1 sc in next, rep from ** once more, join — 24 sts.

Round 4: Join CA, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in next, 2 sc in next, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 dc in next, 1 dc in next, 2 dc in next, [1 hdc, 1 sc] in next, ch 1, Sl st in top of Lsc from previous round, ch 1, [1 sc, 1 hdc] in next, 2 dc in next, 1 dc in next, 2 dc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next, 1 sc in last, join — 34 sts.

Round 5: Join CB, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in same st as join, *2 sc in next, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * three more times, ch 1, St st in Sl st from previous round, ch 1, **1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in next, rep from ** three more times, join — 42 sts.

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Looking for more Valentine’s Patterns? Click here for more free patterns.

22 Responses to Valentine’s Spike Stitch Heart Pattern

1. Barbara Langer January 29, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Lovely pattern, Kara – thanks for sharing!

2. Preeti January 29, 2013 at 6:26 am #

Very pretty hearts!:) Thanks for the pattern !! I actually liked your heart basket too when I was once surfing through your patterns.

3. Inga Helene January 29, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Lovely pattern that makes the nicest hearts. My tiniest cotton scraps will be delighted to be turned into something as beautiful as these :-)

4. Sangeetha January 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Very cute hearts, Kara. Just in time for valentine’s! I just finished posting about my textured scarf. It has turned out really lovely.
    Do pop in and let me know what you think. Have a great week ahead.
    Love

5. linda January 29, 2013 at 8:35 am #

They are beautiful Kara I have been working on a little heart too but it hasn’t turned out as nicely as yours! :)

6. Cranberry Morning January 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

So, sew cute!! I tried making the roses (from a prior tutorial of yours) last night. I did something wrong, because I didn’t get the rounded effect of the petals. I think I need to drag out my beginners crochet book again. I hadn’t crocheted for years!

7. Ana BC January 29, 2013 at 11:39 am #

What a sweet coincidence! I featured some heart motifs today in my blog, so I will add a link to yours…
    Your heart is SO pretty!!! I will give it a try.
    I don’t think I have used the Lsc or Lhdc before…interesting!

8. Debi Y. January 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Very pretty little hearts – thanks for sharing your pattern. :)

9. Luna January 30, 2013 at 12:02 am #

cute and beautiful colors….easy.happy crocheting!

10. Trish January 30, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

very cute! thanks so much for sharing!
    trish @ tales from …

11. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects January 30, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

These are so cute, Kara!!

12. Amy January 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Too adorable! They’d make a cute little banner if you strung them together!

13. usagypsy January 31, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Love these! I think I’m going to make my daughter a little valentine banner with them. Thanks for sharing!

14. Kadie February 1, 2013 at 1:59 am #

How cute! Love little hearts! They are perfect for putting in Valentines Day cards.:)

15. Ellie February 1, 2013 at 2:48 am #

Wow! Those are cute little hearts! I just made my first scarf this weekend. Visiting from One Dog Woof’s Facebook party!

16. cm4bleenmb February 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

First of all let me say that your hearts are adorable. And I fully appreciate what a PIA writing typing out patterns can be so it is wonderful that you offer these for free. I have been crocheting for years but I am guessing from the comments that I am the only one having problems with these when I follow the pattern as written. In the first round your stitch count is wrong–making all the ones that follow off–also, since you say to count the ch2 as a stitch and then on R2 you sc into the same stitch as the join, you would end up with an uneven number of stitches for the round, as well as making the two sides of your heart have an unequal number of stitches. Going on to R3, I think you’ve left the word “next” out in some spots. That’s as far as I’ve gotten, I’m pretty sure that between my own ability and the nice clear pictures I can puzzle this out but I thought you might like to proof-read your pattern and clean it up since it is a reflection of you and you are doing wonderful stuff here. Thanks for the heart patterns and keep up the good work!

• Kara @ Petals to Picots February 1, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your feedback! I reviewed the stitch counts in the pattern and believe it is correct as is. I think the confusion might be coming from the ch 1s within the rounds; I am not counting the ch 1s as a stitch (I will add a note of that in the pattern). So for Round 1, the ch 2 counts as a hdc (this is the bottom point of the heart and does not count as the stitches on the “side”), then you have 3 hdc, 3 dc, ch 1, Sl st, ch 1, 3 dc, 3 hdc (the chains don’t count as a st in this pattern but the Sl st does), so the end of round count of 14 sts is correct.

Then for Round 2, yes, the ch 1 does not count as st. You start by crocheting 1 sc in the top of the beg ch 2 from the previous round (this is still the bottom point of the heart and does not belong to the “sides” of the heart. Then continue with *2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * twice more (so far we have 10 sts), ch 1, Sl st in Sl st from previous round, ch 1, **1 sc in next, 2 sc in next, rep from ** twice more (not counting the ch 1s but counting the Sl st, the end of round count of 20 sts is correct.

Then in Round 3, I purposely omitted “next” in some spots as I thought it would be misleading for the long stitches to say “next” when they would not be literally crocheting in the next st. Also, the note in the sidebar should tell people about how to work the long stitches.

I do appreciate the time you took to let me know your concerns. My blog is definitely a huge reflection on me and I definitely do not want sloppy or inaccurate patterns on it, and I definitely do make mistakes, but after reviewing the pattern again, I am pretty confident it is correct as written. Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks :)

• cm4bleenmb February 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

I did it! I used the odd number of stitches, and the uneven sides to offset my joins from the point of the heart to the side with one less stitch. I did all of my spikes in SC and I did more of them. And I also started that row with an increase in the joining stitch, then ended it by SC into that same stitch for a total of 3 SC in the join which gave me a nice little point. Then when I fastened my first color back on, I did a SC in the join, and put 2 SC in the next stitch to really keep the point of the heart sharp, and I did not go higher than HDCs on the top. So my heart does not look quite like yours but it’s very cute and I thank you for the idea, I would not have thought of this without your pattern to jump off from. And now that I have finished this one, I think I will try following yours again and see if it makes more sense to me now. Blessings!

• cm4bleenmb February 1, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Not counting the chains on each side of the SL ST! DOH! I didn’t even think of that, normally the chains are counted if they are in the middle of the round so I just assumed . . . and you know what happens then! As I said, the pictures are pretty clear and now that I have played with it and you have explained it more, I think I will try again since I do love the look of these so much more than a lot of the other ones I’ve seen. Thanks so much for your help!

• Kara @ Petals to Picots February 2, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

So glad it worked out! Thanks for letting me know :)

17. Christine Williams February 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

18. Christine@ Projects Around the House February 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

What a cure pattern! Thanks for linking up at Hookin on Hump Day!