Rose Pattern

Crochet Rose Pattern

I’m starting to think ahead for some Valentine’s projects and I thought a rose would make a perfect embellishment. I played around and finally came up with a sweet little rose I love. I am thinking of using it to accent a wreath … or maybe even make a whole wreath out of them.  We’ll have to see what I come up with.  But for now, I am just enjoying making up these roses. I also worked up some pretty little rosebuds and leaves which you can find the pattern for here.

• Small amounts of yarn, I used worsted weight yarn for mine
  • H hook or an appropriate size hook for the yarn weight you chose
  • tapestry needle

Special Stitch:

Two double crochet cluster (2dc-cl): Yarn over, insert hook into specified stitch, yarn over and pull up loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook, repeat once more (3 loops will be on hook), yarn over and pull through all 3 loops.

Rose Pattern

Ch 28.

Row 1: Work 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, *1 dc in next, 2 dc in next, rep from * across, turn — 40 sts.

Row 2: *Sl st in first st, ch 1 (does not count as st), 2dc-cl in next, ch 1  (does not count as st), Sl st in next, rep from * across, do not turn — 40 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail of about 6 inches. Now, keeping the stitches from Row 2 facing outward, and beginning from the side that the beginning tail is on, roll the strip into a flower shape (see photo below of how the bottom of the flower should look).

Next, using a tapestry needle, weave your 6-in. tail through the bottom of your flower, making sure to go through all layers of the flower.

how to make a crochet rose how to make a crochet rose

That’s it! Now just give a little tug here or there to shape your petals as you like and you are all set to decorate anything your heart desires …

Rose Crochet Pattern

How about a whole wreath full?! Click here to see how I did it …

Crochet Heart Flower Wreath

You can find more of my free Valentine’s Day crochet patterns here.

36 Responses to Rose Pattern

1. Mavi. January 22, 2013 at 5:58 am #

Thank you very much.

2. priscilla January 22, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Very pretty ! Thanks for the pattern :)

3. Angela January 22, 2013 at 7:18 am #

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing your pattern with us. That would make a cute embellishment on a little girls hat & scarf set, don’t you think?

4. Cranberry Morning January 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Thank you so much!! I was just going to be looking for a rose pattern. No kidding. Thank you. It’s so cute!

5. Cranberry Morning January 22, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

P.S. In your abbreviations chart, do you mean that dc = single crochet?

6. linda January 22, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Thank you for this Kara it’s very pretty :)

7. Ann January 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Love this little rose. Thanks for sharing.

8. Debi Y. January 22, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Very pretty rose – thanks for sharing the pattern with us. :)

9. Learn2Crochet January 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing!

10. Natas Nest January 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Such a cute rose!! Thanks for sharing :-))

11. tangled_web January 22, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

That’s a really lovely pattern-thank you for sharing!

12. Ana BC January 22, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

These are so cute! thanks for sharing

13. Lauren January 23, 2013 at 3:29 am #

Very pretty! Love these.

14. Lauren January 23, 2013 at 3:29 am #

Very pretty! Love these.

15. Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home January 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Very cute! These would look great on so many different projects!

16. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects January 24, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Oh, what a beautiful embellishment. I love it, Kara!

17. Sarah January 24, 2013 at 1:10 am #

Although I’ve mastered the standard scarf and even a blanket or two, my lack of practice leaves me a crochet novice. Still, I think I can tackle these little beauties! While perusing the blogosphere, I came across your lovely corner of the net. So happy to be following along.

18. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear January 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

How nice!! You did a great job!

19. Bluebell Woods January 30, 2013 at 12:43 am #

love crochet flowers……will be back to take a good look around. Following you
    Janice

20. Sara McFall January 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Oh awesome! I’ve been looking for a really good rose pattern, and this one is so easy! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day, Kara! Pinning this one.

21. heidihill February 8, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

I really appreciate you being so generous with your time and patterns! I am always searching for pretty flower patterns,especially roses,and your rose is just beautiful. Your wreath stopped me in my tracks,and it is so gorgeous!

22. Grandma Dorothy July 2, 2013 at 1:27 am #

I started crocheting a pineapple cross that has four roses on it, about a month ago. I share with family and when they saw it, I ended up promising to make 9 crosses as gifts. When I started crocheting the roses I found they were a real pain and no matter what I tried, they just wouldn’t lay flat. I tried different size hooks and different size thread but it ended up the same. So now you have shared this (these) roses and honestly, they are just perfect to use on the crosses.
    I just want to thank you for sharing with us.
    I have been crocheting for sixty years and there’s not much I haven’t tried but once in awhile I come up against it. LOL
    Again, thank you so much for sharing. You do beautiful work.

• Kara July 3, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Thank you so much, Dorothy! It is absolutely my pleasure and I am happy to hear you like them :)

23. Felicity September 27, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Hello,
    Could you tell me whether I would be allowed to sell the finished product I would make from this pattern, please? I would love to use it to embellish my baby blankets on Etsy. If yes, could I ask what name you would like me to list full credit to?
    Thank you!

• Kara September 27, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Yes, you can absolutely sell any of your finished items made from my patterns, including these flowers. I would love if you could give credit for the pattern to Petals to Picots, http://www.petalstopicots.com. If you forward me a link to your listing, I would be happy to promote it on my Facebook page. Good luck!

• Felicity September 28, 2013 at 4:37 am #

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you!

I’m still in the process of setting up my Etsy shop (making lots of things so it’s well-stocked from the get-go), but I hope to have it up and running by the end of the year in time for Christmas. My Etsy shop will be called ‘Happy Cats Crafts’. Thank you very much – any help I can get in promoting it would be vastly appreciated!

24. Jacqueline January 22, 2014 at 1:47 am #

Great! I will make this beautifull wreath for friends who will marry at 14th of february! Thank you very much!

25. Nichole February 24, 2014 at 6:23 am #

Lovely flower and wreath! I have a hat that needs an embellishment and I think this will be perfect. :)

• Kara February 27, 2014 at 9:47 am #

That sounds pretty, Nichole!

26. Melinda March 3, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

I tried making these, but they seem very small, and don’t look like the picture. What could I be doing wrong?

• Kara March 4, 2014 at 9:55 am #

First, I would make sure you are using the same hook size and yarn weight that I did and also that you are following the US stitch terms. Those kind of things can definitely throw you off :)

1. Free Patterns: Headband and Flower | Naughty Knots Knit and Crochet - September 28, 2013

[…] http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/01/rose-pattern/ […]

2. Free Valentine’s Day Knitting and Crochet Patterns | Deramores - February 5, 2014

[…] very talented Kara over at Petals to Picots has released this gorgeous rose crochet pattern that would be the perfect way to embellish your home over this holiday. You can even use your […]

3. Ready for Spring Beanie – Child Size Crochet Pattern - February 14, 2014

[…] stay warm- but also helps it from getting too hot! The beautiful rose pattern is one I found by Petals to Picots. The free pattern is simple, unique, and perfect for accessorizing a […]

4. Ready for Spring Beanie « The Yarn Box The Yarn Box - February 15, 2014

5. Say it with (crocheted) flowers | Deramores - May 7, 2014

[…] Even if you get carried away and make more than flowers than you need, get inspired with Kara’s idea and create a beautiful wreath design for the home. Head on over to her blog to find out more. […]