How to Crochet a Classic Granny Square: Granny Square Pattern

68 Flares Google+ 1 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 55 Facebook 12 Twitter 0 68 Flares ×

Even if you are brand new to crochet, you are probably familiar with the granny square. Granny squares have been around for ages and seem to resurge in popularity over and over again. This is probably because they are quick, easy, and oh, so versatile. They can be pieced together to make just about anything … afghans, purses, placemats, sweaters, scarves … the list is endless. They are also a great way to use up your yarn scraps.

Granny square pattern

Traditional Granny Square Pattern

With CA, ch 4, join in furthest ch from hook to form a ring.

Round 1: Ch 3(counts as st), 2 dc in ring, ch 3, *3 dc in ring, ch 3, repeat from *twice more, join in top of beg ch, drop CA — 12 sts.

Round 2: Join CB in any ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as st), 2 dc in same ch-3 sp, ch 2, *[3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 sp, ch 2, rep from * twice more, 3 dc in same ch-3 sp as first st of round, ch 3, join in top of beg ch, drop CB — 24 sts.

Round 3: Join CC in any ch-3 corner sp, ch 3 (counts as st), 2 dc in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 corner sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in same ch-3 corner sp as first st of round, ch 3, join in top of beg ch, drop CC — 36 sts.

Round 4: Join CD in any ch-3 corner sp, ch 3 (counts as st), 2 dc in same ch-3 sp, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-3 corner sp, rep from * twice more, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, 3 dc in same ch-3 corner sp as first st of round, ch 3, join in top of beg ch, drop CD — 48 sts.

Granny square pattern

, , , , ,

14 Responses to How to Crochet a Classic Granny Square: Granny Square Pattern

1. Mara August 2, 2012 at 6:19 am #

<3 granny squares! Great idea to have a month full of them! I will keep an eye on you're blog.

2. Łucja-Maria August 2, 2012 at 6:25 am #

Welcome!
    Congratulations Prix, which you received from Anna.
    Lucy

3. becktovintage August 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Hi dear Friend, Your traditional grannies are so pretty and I like colors.. I am planning to make a granny square shawl or a baby blanket but I have not decided yet which kind of granny squares I will make..:)) I know The traditional Grannies are the best..:))
    All best wishes…

4. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects August 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

So I was all excited for this so I could get started, and it’s still way over my head. ;) DO you have any good links that start with, “this is a hook”?

5. Kadie August 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Great post!! I love how colorful your grannies are!! Mine are just one color so far.:)

6. SnuggleBunnie August 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

I love doing granny squares I will have a go at your pattern. Thanks for sharing hun

7. Crafty Mischief August 3, 2012 at 4:25 am #

These are beautiful! I love the colors!

8. Nicole {WonkyWonderful} August 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

The granny squares turned out great! I have been meaning to attemp a granny square – so cute. Visiting from Craftionary linkup :)

9. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear August 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Lovely! I’ll be featuring your tutorial this week!

10. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life August 8, 2012 at 2:13 am #

This is a great post, Kara! You know I’ve never crocheted a granny square?! Well, I will now that I’ve got your pattern! Love your color choices. Thanks for linking up at Hookin On Hump Day!

11. t j March 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Please, what about this pattern did you copyright? Maybe it’s just form? Love your work!! And your patterns!! :)

• Kara March 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Hi tj :) You are correct … as your comment implies, the granny square has been around for longer than any of us. It is just my pics and wording that is copyrighted.

12. Annette April 9, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

Thank you for inspiring me to introduce my 2 granddaughters to crocheting…. This will be my first lesson for them… after some practice with chain stitches… Wish me good luck …. One will catch on quick the other will love to use what is made.

• Kara April 9, 2014 at 10:26 pm #

Good luck!! Some of my fondest memories are of my grandmother teaching me to crochet :)