Crochet Flip Flops Tutorial with Flower Pattern

Crochet Flip Flops Tutorial with Flower Pattern

Dress up your flip flops with this quick and easy crochet flip flops tutorial.  All you need is a pair of plain flip flops, some leftover yarn from your scrap pile, and your hook … okay, and maybe a tapestry needle, too!

Crochet Flip Flops Tutorial with Flower Pattern

• a pair of inexpensive flip flops
  • worsted weight yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle
To start, with the outer part of the flip flop facing you, wrap the yarn around the band of the flip flop with the tail end facing you and underneath the skein end, forming a loop (a).  Insert your hook through the loop (b) and pull the yarn through (c).

crochet flip flop tutorial

To begin crocheting around the band of the flip flop, insert your hook under the band, pull the yarn to the front and up to the top of the band, yarn over and pull through both loops (a). Continue crocheting across band, working over the tail as you go (b).

crochet flip flops tutorial

When you reach the center, simply start again on the other side of the toe (a). Continue crocheting along other side until you reach the end of the band (b).  Fasten off and weave in end (c).

crochet flip flops pattern

Lastly, show off your personal style by adorning your new flip flops to your taste.  Add your favorite flower, glue on some gems … follow wherever your creativity leads.  If you need a flower pattern, try this one …

Flower Crochet Pattern

Ch 6, join in furthest chain from hook to form a ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 (not a stitch), *work 1 sc in ring, ch 4, rep from * 4 more times, join in 1st sc of round — 5 ch-4 spaces.
Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 5 dc in ch-4 space, ch 3, *Sl st in next sc, ch 3, 5 dc in ch-4 space, ch 3, rep from * 3 more times, join with a Sl st in same ch-4 space as last dc made. — 5 petals.
Fasten off, weave in ends.

Using a tapestry needle, sew flower to front of flip flop, as shown below.
Enjoy!

crochet flip flops tutorial

, , , ,

45 Responses to Crochet Flip Flops Tutorial with Flower Pattern

1. Jaclyn July 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Very!!! Very!!! Cute! I’m going to try this on my daughters flip flops!! Great post! Thanks!

2. Terry July 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

I love these and always love to have a good flower pattern. They come in handy for so many things.

3. Debi Y. July 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

Your flip flops are so cute – love the flower decoration. :)

4. Diana July 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Love this idea! I have several little girls’ flip flops I’d like to try this on. :)

5. Chaotic Crafting July 11, 2012 at 2:18 am #

Amused that these are done in my school districts colors! Very cool!

6. Sara July 11, 2012 at 2:50 am #

These are so cute! Think I will bookmark this one for later. My girls would love to dress up their flip flops. Happy to see you at Tangled Happy today. Wishing you a very happy Wednesday. :)

7. Winnie July 11, 2012 at 10:29 am #

WOWWWW
    This are soooooooooo cute
    and not so difficult to make :)

8. Stitched Together July 11, 2012 at 10:58 am #

What a great idea. I imagine having yarn against your skin is much less sticky than the plastic, plus it looks pretty.

9. Margo July 11, 2012 at 11:14 am #

So cute!

10. The Single Nester July 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

You know I love that turquoise color!

11. Mami Made It July 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Great idea! And the flip flops look lovely and special!

12. Christine July 13, 2012 at 12:26 am #

VERY stylish!! I would gladly sport these!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

13. Brooke @ Inside-Out Design July 13, 2012 at 2:29 am #

These are adorable!! I want to try this for my daughter!

14. Creative M July 13, 2012 at 1:51 am #

Your Flip Flops are GORGEOUS!!!Saw it on Craft Junkie!!!

Migdalia

15. Ellen July 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

So cute!

16. Paula Parrish July 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

I love this project, so cute. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Smiles, Paula

17. Lizzy Mac July 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Oh my goodness. Cutest floppy floppies I have seen in a while! Nice job!

18. Liz July 14, 2012 at 5:26 am #

Love this! Liz

19. Judy July 17, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

This is one of the cutest crochet ideas ever. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party (if you’re not okay with that, please let me know right away). Otherwise, please stop by and pick up an I’ve Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

20. Kadie July 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

Oh my how cute and clever!! I LOVE it!! Totally featuring this at our party tomorrow morning. BTW I LOVE your media buttons! Cute grannies!

21. Carole July 19, 2012 at 1:27 am #

Great idea – my niece would love these.
    I linked in spicy mince lettuce cups to Live.Laugh. Rowe’s linky party. Have a great week.

22. Pam July 19, 2012 at 10:14 am #

These are so cute, Kara!!! I really have to learn to crochet. In Australia, we call flip flops, thongs…

23. myric andreasen July 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Thank you so much for linking this up! This is going to my Monday Blues Inspiration and to my Pinterest :)

Have a happy Friday!

xo
    Myric

24. Deana July 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

I am featuring this at tonights Link party at CountryMommaCooks….stop by tonight and check it out : )

25. myric andreasen July 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Thanks for asking. Monday Blues Inspiration is where or when I post anything blue that’s pretty or inspiring!

26. patchcath July 23, 2012 at 4:35 am #

Elles sont carrément craquantes, tes tonks!!
    très joiles, personnalisées à souhait!
    et je suis persuadée que le fil à crocheter est bien plus doux pour les pieds que le plastique souvent ‘cuisant”
    merci de nous montrer tous ces détails!!

27. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life July 25, 2012 at 12:24 am #

What a great idea! I had never thought to crochet onto flip flops like this. Very creative and a great photo tutorial. Excellent job! Thanks for linking up at Hookin On Hump Day!

28. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life July 25, 2012 at 1:01 am #

Kara, I’ve chosen this post as a featured post at Hookin On Hump Day! Just a friendly reminder to please link back to me to be featured. Thanks!

29. zunimab August 23, 2012 at 1:15 am #

hermosa idea!gracias por compartir.

30. Arlina Pasos August 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

hice las sandalias…la diadema y un adorno en pulsera a mi sobrina nieta…DIOS BENDICE A ESTAS PERSONAS Q COMPARTE SUS TRABAJOS CON AMOR…SI LA AYUDA DE ELLAS …NUNCA PODRIA YO APRENDER….

31. Regina Wade March 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

This is a great idea! Crocheting around the strap could also make it easier to attach another strap to go around the heel–my 4 year old’s flip-flops NEVER stay on. :)

32. Gail July 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I like this idea, however yarn gets sort of out of shape if you happened to get these wet. I have used nylon cord, found at any craft store by the yarn, I did mine in varigated colors, turned out great, even got a couple of requests for them.

• Kara July 9, 2013 at 10:59 am #

The nylon cord sounds like a great idea!

33. Cynthia Banessa April 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

Super cute…thanks for sharing!

• Kara April 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm #

My pleasure, Cynthia!

34. Michelle April 29, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

Thank you KARA for this I would never have thought of doing this and I and my daughter’s wear flip flops almost all year round we live in Florida, this was pined just yesterday on pintrest so today 4-29-2014 I went to the dollar tree and bought my daughter’s and my self some flip flops and crocheted them OMG so comfortable thank you, thank you, thank you, I will be watching for more stuff from you, and again thank you !!!!!!! :)

• Kara May 1, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

Yay!! That makes me so happy to hear. So glad you like them!!

35. Barbara Read June 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

These are so cute. Good job. I am going to try this for my granddaughters.

• Kara June 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Hope they like them!

36. avis June 14, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

quick to make. very cute. i made a pair today.

37. Jana July 14, 2014 at 4:00 am #

Thank you so much for sharing. I have 3 of those cheap FF and they always hurt me. I almost threw them away. Now I have an easy way to improve them. Nice job.

1. Week 1:: Footwear DIY | DIY HIGH ! - April 27, 2013

[…] INSPIRATION:: This DIY was inspired by this project here which actually involved crocheted footwear DIY. The idea of the post was to turn mundane footwear […]

2. Decorate flip flops with crochet | mamatimes - September 16, 2013

[…] a pair of bright flip flops and I thought I’d decorate them. I took the tutorial from this really helpful site. I bought cheap acrylic yarn from Daiso because I didn’t want to risk spoiling more […]

3. DIY: Pimp dine klipklappere | FarmorfabrikkenFarmorfabrikken - November 8, 2013

[…] Aaahh … selvom mit hoved er blæst af ferie-begejstring, og jeg har alt for travlt med at tælle ned til afgang (og nå til bunds i bunken af arbejde), så har jeg alligevel ikke helt tabt småkagerne. Endnu. Men når tiden kommer. Tiden, hvor jeg bliver bims. Så er jeg klar. For jeg har allerede fundet opskriften på frakken til klip-klapperne! På bloggen Petals to Picots er der nemlig den fineste DIY-guide til, hvordan du kan hækle dine klip-klappere. […]

4. 12 Awesome Pairs of DIY Flip Flops - My Mom Made That - June 11, 2014

[…] of paracord, I could bring out my crochet hook (I’m a little rusty though), and using the pattern from Petals to Picot make these flip […]