Green Crocheting: Fabric Nesting Baskets Pattern

794 Flares Google+ 1 StumbleUpon 67 Pin It Share 671 Facebook 52 Twitter 3 794 Flares ×

I love these little nesting baskets!  They are perfect for organizing your office, counter tops, baby’s room, or anywhere else you need an attractive storage solution.  The fabric yarn used to make these baskets gives them a cozy charm and makes them more durable to use for storage than baskets made from regular yarn. To learn how to make fabric yarn, see my tutorial Making Fabric into Yarn.

Fabric Nesting Baskets

• Fabric yarn (approx. ½ full-size flat sheet)
  • M hook
  • tapestry needle
  • stitch marker

Finished baskets measure as follows: Small = approx. 6 in. x 2½ in.; Medium = approx. 7 in. x 3 in.; Large = approx. 8 in. x 3½ in.

Tip: Use a stitch marker to keep track of rounds.

Small

Ch 2

Foundation Round: Work 6 sc in furthest ch from hook, do not join — 6 sts.

Round 1: Work 2 sc in each st around, do not join — 12 sts.

Round 2: *Work 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next, rep from * around, do not join — 18 sts.

Round 3: *Work 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around, do not join — 24 sts.

Round 4: *Work 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * around, join and turn — 30 sts.

Round 5: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 30 sts.

Rounds 6 through 9: Repeat Round 5.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Medium

Ch 2

Foundation Round: Work 6 sc in furthest ch from hook, do not join — 6 sts.

Round 1: Work 2 sc in each st around, do not join — 12 sts.

Round 5: *Work 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, rep from * around, join and turn — 36 sts.

Round 6: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 36 sts.

Rounds 7 through 11: Repeat Round 6.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Large

Ch 2

Foundation Round: Work 6 sc in furthest ch from hook, do not join — 6 sts.

Round 1: Work 2 sc in each st around, do not join — 12 sts.

Round 6: *Work 2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts, rep from * around, join and turn — 42 sts.

Round 7: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 42 sts.

Rounds 8 through 13: Repeat Round 7.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

, ,

43 Responses to Green Crocheting: Fabric Nesting Baskets Pattern

1. The Belly Dancer March 21, 2012 at 1:29 am #

It’s awesome! I want one.

2. The Belly Dancer March 21, 2012 at 1:34 am #

OMG I literally was thinking today of crocheting with fabric! I have pinned your baskets, I hope you don’t mind, I’m also asking for permission to pin in the future. This baskets would be good made out of plarn wouldn’t they, I’ve been cutting some bags up. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Kara at Petals to Picots March 21, 2012 at 2:35 am #

How funny!! I don’t mind at all. Pin away :) Thanks for visiting!! Let me know how you make out with the plarn baskets.

• Unknown March 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

I’m actually working ona plarn version. It’s the first pattern i’ve fpund thatactually works for plarn! :)

3. Anna March 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Cute…thank for sharing…
    Hug
    Anna

4. Rachel @ The Philosophers Wife March 22, 2012 at 1:07 am #

Very nice!

Also,I am presenting you with the The Liebster Award. Please read all about it here: http://philwife.blogspot.com/2012/03/liebster-award.html. Feel free to participate if you wish, but seriously, no pressure! Love the blog!

5. Cj March 22, 2012 at 2:27 am #

Those are great! I am definitly going to make a set.

6. Mindie Hilton March 23, 2012 at 1:24 am #

Beautiful! Great work.

7. Lolly Jane March 23, 2012 at 3:59 am #

These are way too cute! Go girl!

8. Messy Roost March 23, 2012 at 4:34 am #

Oh my those are so cute. I would love to learn to crochet. I have needles and toy around a little, but, those are so cool. Rhonda

9. Kei April 15, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Those look great! Would love to make some of these. I keep seeing awesome crochet projects, but my ability with the crotchet hook is nonexistent (though not through lack of trying, lol). Pinning anyway for when I figure crochet out! :)

• Kara at Petals to Picots April 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

I am glad you like them :) I have a few Learn to Crochet tutorials at this link that might be able to help you out: . I am sure you will figure it out!

10. Wendy April 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

11. Judy April 17, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

That is so cute. I am very into crochet projects at the moment and I am adding this to my list. I’d love for you to link up to my party that opens at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

12. Judy April 18, 2012 at 12:41 am #

I’m so glad you linked up. It’s a fabulous project.

13. Kim April 18, 2012 at 12:51 am #

These bowls are so pretty! Gorgeous color too!

14. Brian, Michelle, Teagan and Isla April 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

I love the color you chose! One day I hope to have the talent to create something like this. I am having a red, white and blue party on my blog to celebrate Memorial Day and July 4th. I’d love it if you’d link these up!

Blessings!
    Michelle

15. Rachel April 20, 2012 at 1:17 am #

So cute and functional. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

16. Anonymous April 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

How can I follow you on Pinterest?

17. Deanna May 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

I have made one set and am starting a second. Great tutorial! I am sharing my baskets in a post along with a link here: http://wp.me/pTDbZ-1d2

18. miri May 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I love these. How do you clean them though?

• Kara at Petals to Picots May 20, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Hmmmm … I haven’t tried yet. I assume you could throw them in the washing machine though.

19. chris May 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Great work! Do you just cut the sheet into strips? How wide? Would love to try this.

20. Sara @ My Merry Messy Life June 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Oh this is great! Love the colors and the fact that’s repurposing old fabric. I’d love if you’d link this up to my Hookin On Hump Day party! I see you have a party, too. I’ll have to link up!

21. Gen October 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

You can never have enough cute baskets around! So awesome that you made them recycled linens, that’s my favorite part, of course!
    Thanks so much for linking up at my greener linky party! I’ll probably be linking to your fabric yarn tutorial later this week for my reusing linens and clothes post :) Have a great weeekend.

22. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) January 20, 2013 at 12:43 am #

So pretty and such a great idea. I noticed that you allow pinning so I pinned from this page.

23. PAMELA July 28, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

These are similar to what we called rag rugs, same principle you folded a strip of material in thirds so that the exposed edge was on the inside and them you sewed three strips together and started to braid. It was a great use of old material/clothes/sheets/curtains etc and the cost, free can’t get much better than that.

24. arcie July 30, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

I know you used an old sheet for the material used but, how wide did you make the strips of fabric and did you tie them at the ends or just worked the ends in? I also plan to tea-dye the fabric first. (using an old white sheet). I plan to make handles on the baskets and use the basket for my crocheting.y

• Kara July 31, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

I cut the strips about an inch wide and made a continuous ball of yarn with it. You can see the link in the pattern for a tutorial on how I did it :)

1. 25 Creative Organization Solutions - October 31, 2013

[…] Crocheted Fabric Nesting Baskets from Petal to Picots […]

2. 25 Creative Organization Solutions - Do Small Things with Love - October 31, 2013

[…] Crocheted Fabric Nesting Baskets from Petal to Picots […]