Crocheted Star of Bethlehem Ornament

As some of you may remember from last week’s post, every year I pick an ornament to crochet, and I go crazy making tons of them for Christmas.  I put them on my tree, give them to friends, and use them as decorations on gifts. Here is a Star of Bethlehem ornament that I especially designed for this year and for all of you. You can find more free Christmas and Holiday patterns by clicking here.

Star of Bethlehem Ornament Pattern

• size 10 crochet thread, I used Royale Gold Metallic
  • steel hook size 7 / 1.65 mm
  • fabric stiffener
  • sewing needle, scissors

Special Stitches:

Extended Double Crochet: Yarn over hook, insert hook into specified stitch and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through first loop on hook, yarn over and draw through two loops on hook, yarn over and draw through two loops again.
Finished star = approx. 5 in. x 4 in.

Double Treble Crochet: Yarn over hook three times, insert hook into specified stitch and draw up a loop, yarn over hook and draw through two loops, yarn over hook and draw through two loops twice more.

Ch 8, join with a Sl st in first chain made to form a ring.

Foundation Round: Ch 3, work 24 dc into ring, join with Sl st in top of beginning chain — 24 sts.

Point 1: Ch 16, Sl st into 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 3 hdc, 3 dc, 1 edc, 3 tc, 2 dtc, skip next 3 sts on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 15 sts.

Point 2: Ch 9, Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 2 hd, 3dc, skip 1 st on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 8 sts.

Point 3: Ch 16, Sl st into 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 3 hdc, 3 dc, 1 edc, 3 tc, 2 dtc, skip next 3 sts on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 15 sts.

Point 4: Ch 9, Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 2 hd, 3dc, skip 1 st on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 8 sts.

Point 5: Ch 23, Sl st into 2nd ch from hook, 3 sc, 4 hdc, 4 dc, 2 edc, 4 tc, 4 dtc, skip next 3 sts on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 22 sts.

Point 6: Ch 9, Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 2 hd, 3dc, skip 1 st on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 8 sts.

Point 7: Ch 16, Sl st into 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 3 hdc, 3 dc, 1 edc, 3 tc, 2 dtc, skip next 3 sts on foundation round and Sl st in next to anchor point — 15 sts.

Point 8: Ch 9, Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc, 2 hd, 3dc, skip 1 st on foundation round and Sl st in same st as join from foundation round to anchor point — 8 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Finishing

Wrap a flat piece of Styrofoam or thick cardboard with wax paper and tape to secure. Using straight pins, pin the star right side down onto the Styrofoam/cardboard, making sure to straighten each point. Using a small paintbrush, apply a thin coat of fabric stiffener over the star. Let sit until dry or as long as directed on the stiffening product. Once dry, thread a piece of thread through the top of the star and knot the thread to create a loop.

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

, , ,

18 Responses to Crocheted Star of Bethlehem Ornament

1. Kerry December 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

I’m over visiting from Thrifty Thursday. What could be more thrifty than a free pattern? Thanks for sharing – these are lovely!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

2. Accidentally Angela December 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Thanks for the follow at Accidentally Angela. I’m a new GFC friend now too. :) Lovely crochet work, really like the idea of edging things. Merry Christmas! Angela

3. The Lovely Mrs. P December 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

thanks you for coming to my Blog Hop! I would love it if you would link something up to my Made U Look craft & recipe linky too! I am following you back!
    Kim@madeinaday

4. Jo December 9, 2011 at 1:06 am #

Hi…thanks for visiting me! Your blog is great and I will love to follow & maybe learn something!
    Happy Holidays!
    Jo

5. Mel S. December 9, 2011 at 3:51 am #

Hello! Following you back from the blog hop. I love the star! Happy blogging!

6. Kara at Petals to Picots December 9, 2011 at 4:25 am #

Thank you all for the sweet comments and for following along!

7. Chrissy December 9, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Hey there! Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!! I love this star you made!! I was just looking up patterns for ornaments!! I’m following you as well, can’t wait to read more!! :)

8. MGB December 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

Lovely star, thanks for sharing!

Monique (your newest follower)

9. Aimee December 10, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Thanks SO much for stopping by earlier! I’m glad my gift list was fun for you! I love your star of David!!! SO MUCH! I’m excited to be following you, too!!!
    XO, Aimee from ItsOverflowing!

PS I’m having my first linky party on 12/13. It will be “Christmas Scape” themed, tablescape ~ landscape or anywhere else in you home that you’ve added a touch of Christmas! I’d LOVE for you to link up! My blog is http://www.itsoverflowing.com/.

10. The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ December 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

hi there fellow JERSEY GIRL!!!! so pleased to meet you : ) such a great project — thanks so much for sharing — tons of hugs and wishing you a picture perfect day (it is gorgeous on my part of jersey…wayne…where are you) sending hug…

11. Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty December 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Its so pretty! Love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

12. Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter December 10, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

thank you so much for your comment on my blog! your blog is full of inspiration. i love this star!!! i’m following you back!

13. Jen December 11, 2011 at 3:43 am #

This is so lovely! Thank you so much for sharing at the Showdown! ~Jen

14. the cape on the corner December 19, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

i love this star, it’s such a great look. admittedly, i know nothing about crochet or sewing of any sort, but i am sure i can offer expert opinion on the neat and cuteness of these things, lol.

15. Chris December 23, 2011 at 6:45 am #

Hi there, what a beautiful crocheted star. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

16. cherishables November 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Really lovely! I would like to link your pattern from my blog: cherishables-handcrafts.blogspot.com as part of my Christmas Countdown beginning 12/1/12. Thanks!

17. pm henry October 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

I love your star. I’m thinking I would like to make one to put on top of my table high Christmas Tree. Would you have any recommendations for me as to larger yarn and hook? Thank you. It really is lovely.

1. 33 Nativity Crafts for Christmas - Do Small Things with Love - November 29, 2013

[…] Crocheted Star of Bethlehem Ornament  from Petals and Picots […]