Wire Crochet Tealight Holder

Wire Crochet Tealight Holder

I have a new wire crochet project to share with you today … these pretty wire crochet tealight holders!

We love sitting outside on these balmy summer nights but hate the harshness of the light from our back door or garage.  So I thought some candles would do the job while keeping the relaxing ambiance. It did the trick, and we have been enjoying them! I love how they look lined around our patio, and it provides just the right amount of light. Now I need to head to the store for more tealights …

Wire Crochet Tealight Holder

Here’s what you will need:

• G hook
  • 28 gauge wire
  • tealights
  • wire cutter (I’ll  be honest … I use my scissors, although it’s probably not the best idea for them!)

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations.

Make a magic ring, or alternately you can ch 2 and then work Round 1 in the second ch from your hook.

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 6 sc in ring, join — 6 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 12 sts.

Round 3: Ch 1, work 2 sc in same st as join, 1 sc in next, *2 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * around, join — 18 sts.

Rounds 4 through 7: Ch 1, work 1 sc in same st as join and each st around, join — 18 sts.

Snip wire and fasten off as usual. Weave in the wires to secure and then try to fold the ends into themselves to keep them from poking you.

Wire Crochet Tealight Holder

Now just fill with you favorite tealight, grab a cup of tea, and relax.

Wire Crochet Tealight Holder

Click here to check out more of my wire crochet patterns.

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

18 Responses to Wire Crochet Tealight Holder

1. Linda Powell (aka Crochet with Linda Dawn) August 4, 2014 at 2:37 am #

Kara these are lovely, I have seen a few wire crochet projects in passing through Blogland but have yet to actually have a go at working anything.Thanks for sharing x

2. Leslie Fritz August 4, 2014 at 9:14 am #

Kara, thanks for the pattern. I’m a big fan of your blog. However…these look like tealights, not votives. Votives would melt all over and you would need a glass or plastic insert in the wire to prevent that from happening. Tealights come with their own little plastic cup and don’t make a big mess. Great way to dress them up!

• Kara August 4, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Oh my goodness, Leslie! You are right!! I will clarify. Thanks for the catch 🙂

3. roxie in oh August 4, 2014 at 11:31 am #

i never thought i would be interested in trying to crochet with wire but may have to pick some up at work today these are so cute

4. Sakeenah August 4, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

This looks like a good beginner’s project for working with wire. Must try this. Thanks!

5. Lauren @ The Thinking Closet August 5, 2014 at 1:01 am #

These are simply stunning, Kara! I think you’ve opened up a whole new world of crocheting with this project! Pinned.

6. wendy August 8, 2014 at 4:08 am #

what an original idea! thanks for sharing with us

7. Divine Debris (Amber) August 8, 2014 at 11:18 am #

I love this, so very much. It’s just awesome. Such creativity and a very sneaky way to decorate with crochet without it appearing as “too much.”

• Kara August 12, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

I am so glad you like it, Amber 🙂

8. Yvonne September 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

I tried this because I really liked it but I just couldn’t make it look as pretty as yours. Is there any secret to working with wire?

• Kara September 8, 2014 at 10:28 am #

Hi Yvonne 🙂 There really isn’t a secret, but the wire can be a little tricky to work with. The nice thing is that you can try to reshape your piece manually with your hands too.

9. Jess December 28, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

How many yards of wire would you say each one is? I’d love to try it in color wire but the packages are 5yds per so want it to be enough!

• Kara December 30, 2014 at 12:08 am #

Hi Jess 🙂 unfortunately I did not measure the exact amount for each one, but it didn’t take much wire at all.

10. Rebecca May 3, 2016 at 9:20 pm #

These are beautiful, so I thought I would give them a try. Wire is so hard to work with, do you have any hints?

• Kara May 10, 2016 at 9:56 am #

It can be awkward to work with but the beauty of it is that it isn’t suppose to be perfect 🙂

1. Make It Crochet – Free Crochet Pattern: Wire Crochet Tealight Holder - August 7, 2014

[…] You can pick up the pattern for these beauties which Kara has graciously made available for free HERE. […]

2. 22 Top Crochet Patterns for the Kitchen and Bathroom | - October 20, 2014