Crochet Anchor Pattern

Anchor crochet pattern

I guess this will be a good test to see if my mom actually reads my blog, lol! So Mom, if you are reading, stop here so you don’t see your Mother’s Day surprise 🙂

First I will give you a little background … my mother loves the sea! She loves sailing and sand and shells and everything that goes along with the ocean. So when I saw a pendant in a shop that read “You Are My Anchor” I immediately thought of her …  of course because of the ocean theme but also because that is what she is … my anchor. So I got to work designing this pretty crochet anchor pattern to embellish her Mother’s Day card and maybe even a few other crochet surprises.

Crochet Anchor Pattern

Anchor crochet pattern

Here’s what you will need:

• worsted weight yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle and scissors

Click here to reference Crochet Abbreviations or here to reference Crochet Stitch Symbols.

Step 1: Make a magic ring.

Step 2: Work 6 sc in ring.

Step 3: Ch 5, work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of the next 2 ch.

Step 4: Ch 13, work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of the next 6 ch.

Step 5: Ch 3, 1 sc in 3rd ch from hook [picot].

Step 6: Ch 7, work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of the next 6 ch.

Step 7: Work 1 sc in each of the 6 unworked  chains from Step 4.

Step 8: Ch 4, work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of the next 2 ch.

Step 9: Work 1 sc in unworked ch from Step 3.

Step 10: Sl st in 1st st to join. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Anchor crochet stitch diagram

Finishing

You can use your anchor as an applique to embellish just about anything, but as you can see I chose a card. To attached the anchor to the card I used some double sided tape; that way, if my mom wants to peel it off and use it as an ornament or for something else she can. I decorated the bottom of the card with some sparkly puff painted waves. And of course the saying that inspired it all … “You are my anchor”

Interested in making this project? You can also help support my blog by purchasing through the affiliate links below …

30 Responses to Crochet Anchor Pattern

1. Ruth April 28, 2014 at 7:12 am #

what a great idea Kara… Thank you for sharing the pattern. Love it.

Have a great week.!!

2. Shawna April 28, 2014 at 9:47 am #

Hi! Thanks for the pattern, it’s lovely! Do you use a program to create your chart for the pattern or do you draw it up yourself in something like Photoshop?

3. katelyn April 28, 2014 at 10:58 am #

YAY! I love this idea. I love anchors. I can’t wait to put this anchor on everything!

4. Lorna April 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm #

What a fabulous idea – you could sew an anchor to almost anything, bags, childrens outfits, they would look cute on a little boys cardie – thank you so much for the pattern.

5. Emily @ The Benson Street April 28, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

I’m in love with nautical anything! Love it!

6. Gayla April 29, 2014 at 12:23 am #

Love these… I can envision them used as favors at a church part or nautical dinner party theme! Or stitched on a little pocket!

7. Alexis @ Persia Lou April 29, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

This little anchor is so, so cute! I love it, and I’m sure your mother will too! Can you tell me how you made your chart? Do you use a program?

• Kara May 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks so much Alexis! I made the chart in software called Stitchworks.

8. Erangi Udeshika May 1, 2014 at 6:56 am #

Thank you for sharing this lovely pattern. Perfect gift for mother’s day. I like to add your anchor pattern in my free pattern link list this weekend, If you don’t mind. Thank you.

• Kara May 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

So glad you like it! Yes, please feel free to add the link to your roundup. Thanks so much!

9. Tamara May 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

Love this!! My son is in the Navy. Making this for him!

• Kara May 1, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

What a great idea!

10. Bethany May 2, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

This is soooo lovely! Great job!

11. amy @ one artsy mama May 5, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Love it, Kara! I’m all about anchors!

• Kara May 6, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

Thanks, Amy! I love them too 🙂

12. Jenn May 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

How big is this? I am wanting to make one that is about 8-10″ big.

Thanks!

13. Elisabeth May 21, 2014 at 5:45 pm #

Thank you so much for this! I’ve been searching for a cute going away gift for a navy spouse and making this anchor for a brooch is just what I was looking for!

14. Rochelle May 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

I wanted it larger as well. I used a K hook, and just doubled everything. Turned out perfectly!

15. anna July 27, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

love the pattern and thank you for sharing, however mine came out so crooked that I had to throw it away, don’t know what I did wrong and I don’t read graphs so that didn’t help 🙁

• Linda H. May 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm #

I had to tweak the pattern to get it symmetrical. Maybe it was just us? Also, I could not get the hole on top with magic ring. Had to chain and join and then proceed. Also, blocking is essential.

16. Brenda August 27, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

Loved it super easy thank you!!

17. Margie February 20, 2015 at 4:10 pm #

I used your anchor on a Navy Dress hat this morning. It’s on my Ravelry page if you’d like to see it. BEAUTIFUL!

18. opal July 7, 2015 at 9:24 am #

Brilliant, exactly what I was looking for & easy instructions…many thanks

19. Maia October 8, 2016 at 12:36 am #

Thank you so much for this pattern! I crochet, but I can’t understand the diagrams, so thatns for including worded instructions!

1. Crochet Finds of the Day - April 28, 2014

[…] love this free Anchor applique pattern available from Petals to Picots.  I have to figure a way to incorporate this into […]

2. See You At The Beach! 20 Crochet Patterns Full of Beachy Fun - July 19, 2014

[…] Crochet Anchor Pattern from Petals to Picots, super cute applique to put on a shirt or beach bag. […]

3. {Crochet} Anchors Away - Julie is Coco and Cocoa - September 30, 2014

[…] made two anchors in each color from this pattern and then I stitched them together to make them a little more […]

4. Take It Easy Tuesday: Crochet Anchor Pattern - Cream Of The Crop Crochet - June 2, 2015

[…] you seen Petals to Picots anchor pattern? Make this anchor pattern for a nautical hat, blanket, or bag. Can you think of anything else to use it […]

5. You are my anchor | mamadurst crochet - June 26, 2015

[…] http://www.petalstopicots.com/2014/04/crochet-anchor-pattern/    I made this in a 3-6 month size. Once I get my bearings in this whole blog thing I would like to start posting patterns for my hats as well.  […]

6. Two Sided Crochet Blanket Pattern | Adorable Kids Crafts - January 15, 2016

[…] Crochet Anchor Pattern – Petals to Picots – Hookin’ on Hump Day #109: Link Party for the Fiber Arts; Peppermint Swirl Coaster Crochet Pattern; Free Christmas Crochet Patterns “Top This” Child Crochet Hat … […]