Joining Granny Hexagons With the Join As You Go Method

Joining granny hexagons

Last week I shared with you my pattern for making granny hexagons. Now let’s get to work joining them. I prefer using the the join as you go (JAYGO) method. In the JAYGO method, you join the crochet hexagons while working the final round of the pattern. Not only is it easy, but it also creates this beautiful design between your motifs!

To begin, work this round on your first hexagon only:

Round 4: Join cream color in in the last ch-sp made, ch 1 (does not count as st), 1 sc in same ch-sp, ch 2, 1 sc in next ch-sp, ch 2, [1sc, ch 1, 1 sc] in corner ch-sp, ch 2, *1 sc in next ch-sp, ch 2, 1 sc in next ch-sp, ch 2, [1sc, ch 1, 1 sc] in corner ch-sp, ch 2, rep from * around, join and fasten off — 24 scs and 24 ch-sps.

Joining granny hexagons

To join your second hexagon to your first, begin working Round 4 as above on the second hexagon, but when you reach the first corner of the side that is going to join, connect as follows:

Work 1 sc in the corner ch-sp of the second motif, ch 1, drop the loop off your hook and insert hook from front to back into the corner ch-sp of the first motif, pull the loop through, work 1 sc in same corner ch-sp of the second motif, *ch 1, drop loop again and pull it up in opposite ch-2 sp of the first motif, ch 1 again and work 1 sc in next ch-2 sp on the second motif, repeat from * 2 more times with the second time ending with the sc in the corner ch-1 sp of the second motif, ch 1, drop the loop off your hook and insert hook from front to back into the corner ch-sp of the first motif, pull the loop through, work 1 sc in same corner ch-sp of the second motif. Now your motifs should be joined on one side and you can continue working Round 4 as usual the rest of the way around your second motif.

join as you go JAYGO

Did I lose you? Are you ready to join the next one?

join as you go JAYGO

You join your third motif and each one that follows the same way as you joined the first two, except now you will be joining across two sides of the hexagon. Keep joining and arranging the hexagons until you reach your desired layout. When you have the size afghan you like, click here to see how I added my crochet edging.

join as you go JAYGO

I can’t wait to see all your granny hexagons! Feel free to post them up and share them on my Facebook page :)

Adding Your Crochet Edging →

← Granny Crochet Hexagon Pattern

26 Responses to Joining Granny Hexagons With the Join As You Go Method

1. maree March 20, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Ooooh, this looks awesome! Do you think it would work with squares as well?

2. Rajeswari March 20, 2013 at 6:48 am #

The idea of using SC is so much better to look than DCs na! It looks really good Kara. I am waiting to have a go at these hexagon beauties :)

3. Country Maison (Eva) March 20, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Thanks for this . . . another thing to add to my already HUGE ‘to-do- list :-)
    xEva

4. elisabethandree March 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Great tutorial Kara, thanks for sharing!

5. Rhondda Mol March 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

This is great Kara! Thank you for sharing this :)

6. grandmajeanine March 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Can you use this method on granny squares? I have an afghan that I have 88 squares to join and would love to use this method, as it would put a really nice border between each square. Please let me know what you think as soon as possible. I so appreciate your help. Thank you. Jeanine

7. Stephanie March 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Wow, stunning! You are so incredibly talented :) Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
    Stephanie

8. Ana BC March 20, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Excellent tutorial, Kara! I love this joining method

9. Preeti March 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Thanks for sharing, Kara! I definitely wanted this and will add to my pinterest, tips and techniques for crochet.

10. Sue June 4, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Did anyone here if this joining method would work for granny squares?

• Kara June 4, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Hi Sue :) Yes, this will work for squares as well. The pattern is the same but only worked for 4 sides instead of 6.

11. Rhoda July 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Thank you Kara for the peace sign granny squares. I have made about 60 so far in my granddaughters college colors. Now I need a decorative way of putting them together. What do you suggest.

• Kara July 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

What a fun project! I hope she loves it! I think the JAYGO method in this post would work well for the squares. You would work it the same way, just for less sides. Hope that helps :)

12. Em August 17, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Love this pattern and joining method :) I’m a bit stuck joining hexagon 3 though. I’m not sure what to so when I’ve got the three ‘corners’ meeting? Can you help?

• Kara August 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Hi Em :) Where the 3 corners meet I in basically join them in the same way as the others. I just trying to go through the top most or most prominent corner. I don’t really bother trying to get them through the corner spaces of both of the other hexagons. Hope that helps!

13. Em August 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

That’s brilliant. Thank you :)

14. Courtney November 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I am confused about where the three corners come together.

• Kara November 6, 2013 at 9:32 am #

Hi Courtney :) You would work that corner the same as the others. I just go through the most prominent space. Hope that helps!

15. Steph February 27, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Hi there! I have a good start on making hexagons. My question is, do you think it will still work to weave in all my hexagon “ends” before starting this process? I hate weaving in ends, so I like to do it as soon as possible so it looks neater (and so I can breathe easier :) )

Thanks for any help you can give!

• Kara February 27, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Yes, definitely! You can absolutely weave in your ends as you go :)

16. Linda March 20, 2014 at 11:14 am #

Hi Kara, I didn’t know of the JAYGO method when i started my afghan. It’s 58 African flower motifs, 5 rounds each. Then they are stitched together. I have already completed them through the last round. Wouldn’t this method also work, and essentially just add a round 6? Any tips you have would be great. Thanks much, love your blog.

• Kara March 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Sure, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work to join on an additional round :)

17. Jerel April 6, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

Great tutorial and awesome blanket! I’m a novice crocheter and love learning new techniques and will have to give this one a try. How many hexs did you make for your blanket and how big was your finished blanket?

18. Hanan May 19, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

I like it so much .. thanks alot ❤❤

1. Crochet Hexagon Afghan Pattern and Tutorial | Petals to Picots - August 6, 2014

[…] of a large hexagon (fun!). You can do this too or join them in any shape you’d like. Click here for my step by step tutorial on joining these hexagons with the Join As You Go (JAYGO) Method. If you would like to join these into a hexagon shape and have made the 217 hexagons, you will have […]

2. Joining of Granny Squares | KatiDCreations - August 11, 2014