Granny Star Pattern

granny star pattern

One of the things I love most about blogging is the opportunity it gives me to build relationships with other talented ladies and the chance it gives me to hear your stories.

A few months ago, one of those talented ladies, Lori, sent me an e-mail where she shared with me a wonderful memory of her grandmother and gifted me a pattern. And to keep the spirit of her message going, I asked her permission to gift it to you all as well.

Throughout the year, Lori’s grandmother saved little balls of yarn scraps in a Kraut jar next to the chair where she crocheted. All the grandchildren would watch the jar of brightly colored yarn scraps grow and grow as they waited excitedly for Thanksgiving when Grandma would gather them around and teach them to make granny squares. Grandma would say “Haken op donderdag!” “Een granny deKen“! “Crochet on Thursday! A Granny Blanket!”

When dinner was finished and the dishes were clean, Grandma would give each child five small balls of yarn from the special Kraut jar and help them begin their squares. Then she would encourage them to be creative and make it there own. They played with colors, mixing them into different variations and amazing themselves and each other with the colorful combinations they came up with.

Small little squares filled the room. The grandchildren loved this time and thought it was just fun time spent with their grandmother. Lori and her siblings didn’t know, until many years later, that grandma and her lady friends at church lovingly sewed all the grannies together into blankets for people who needed help, either through hard times or illness. Those little grannies were not only Grandma’s gift of love to her grandchildren, but also her gift to others.

Lori worked up a little granny star motif for me and in her note to me she wrote,

“It is my gift to you to use, and as Grandma used to say, ‘Make it your little gift of love’. Grandma gave us this little gift and now it can be many! ”

So, in the spirit of Lori’s grandmother, I added my own touch to the crochet granny star and wrote up the pattern to share with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thank you so much, Lori, for your sweet gift and for sharing your story!

Crochet Granny Star

• worsted weight yarn (from your Kraut jar!)
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle

Click here to add this pattern to your Ravelry queue.

With first color, make a magic ring.

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 2 dc in ring, ch 1, *3 dc, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 18 sts.

Round 2:  Join next color in any ch-1 sp, ch 3, work [2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in same sp, ch 1, *[3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 36 sts.

Round 3: Join next color in any ch-1 sp, ch 1, work 1 sc in same sp, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-2 sp, * 1 sc in next ch-1 sp, [3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc] in next ch-2 sp, rep from * 4 more times, join and fasten off — 42 sts.Ana from Lana & Hilos has created a helpful stitch diagram for this Granny Star. Click here to open the diagram.

Click here for more of my free Christmas patterns.

Free Christmas crochet patterns

, , , , ,

52 Responses to Granny Star Pattern

1. Alexandra G.D. December 12, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Thank you for the pattern. I will have to try this.

2. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects December 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

What a sweet story, thank you (both) for sharing this!!

3. Sandy December 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

What a wonderful story! I think I will make up a bunch of these and add them to my Christmas gifts this year 🙂

4. Debi Y. December 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

What a lovely memory for your friend Lori. Thank you both for sharing the granny star pattern. 🙂

5. SnuggleBunnie December 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Aw that is so sweet. Thank you both for sharing the pattern;)

6. Muhammad Ashraf December 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Best Part time Online Jobs without any investment, Just click the Website and Earn.
    Free Earning

7. VicinCA December 12, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks for the pattern. Hope it’s ok that I use it because I’m a man.

8. Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 2:56 am #

How many chains for the magic ring?

• Kara @ Petals to Picots December 13, 2012 at 4:52 am #

The first chains made in the pattern is the chain 3 for Round 1. For directions on the magic ring itself, see here: http://www.petalstopicots.com/2011/11/how-to-crochet-magic-ring.html.
      Thanks 🙂

• Kathleen Doyle December 26, 2014 at 7:57 am #

I am confused on the magic ring too. The instructions on the magic ring tutorial say do the number instructed and your instructions say chain 3 for round 1. Is the magic ring round 1?

• Kara December 30, 2014 at 12:11 am #

Hi Kathleen 🙂 yes, so for this pattern you would start making the magic ring as in the tutorial and then chain 3 and continue with Round 1. As an alternate, you can chain about 4 or 5 and join to form a ring, then chain 3 and follow Round 1 as written. Hope that helps:)

9. janie December 13, 2012 at 2:36 am #

What a wonder “share” God bless.

janie

10. Ana BC December 13, 2012 at 3:44 am #

Lovely story!!! And thanks for passing on the gift to us. I want to make some stars to give away.

11. Lee Ann December 14, 2012 at 5:40 am #

How pretty! Thank you very much! 🙂
    ______
    Lee Ann H
    Crochet…Gotta Love It! Blog
    Crochet…Gotta Love It! Website (crochet names and rosary patterns)

12. Ana BC December 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Kara, I was thinking of drawing a graphic pattern of this granny star. That could be my way of sharing this and paying it forward. Would yopu and your friend give me permission to do so?
    Let me know…
    Love ♥,
    Ana BC (Lanas Hilos)

13. Carmela December 15, 2012 at 4:47 am #

This is so cute and the story is very sweet! I would like to make it in all one color, instead of joining a second color in the spaces how would you continue the pattern? Thanks for sharing!

• Kara @ Petals to Picots December 16, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Carmela! If you would like to do the stars in one color and don’t want to fasten off after each round, you can slip stitch over the stitches until you reach your next space. You can also reconfigure the way you work each round by including the chains for the space in your for stitch, for example, in Round 1 you could Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1 space), *3 dc, ch 1, rep from * 4 more times, 2 dc, join in 3rd chain of beginning chain. Make sense?

14. Lace Angel December 15, 2012 at 12:54 am #

Thanks so much for sharing the story and the pattern. Both are delightful!

15. ~ Laura December 15, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

What sweet memories!! Thank you so much for sharing the story and the pattern!! I am planning to make these as Christmas presents for my sisters. I also think I’ll take some yarn and hooks to our family Christmas and see if any of the cousins would like to learn to make this! Maybe we’ll start a new tradtion…thank you!!! 🙂

16. Creative Chaos Art December 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Thank you for sharing the pattern! You can see mine here: http://creativechaosart.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/crochet-granny-stars.html
    Helen x

17. Tammy@T's Daily Treasures December 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

What lovely, sweet memories of a kind and wonderful grandmother. Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks to you both for sharing the pattern. Blessings, Tammy

18. Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama December 20, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

What a great story and the pattern is beautiful.

Thanks so much for sharing this at Artsy Corner. Hope to see you again this week 🙂

19. Amanda December 22, 2012 at 5:16 am #

I love this pattern! Saw it on Merry Messy Life’s hump day link party.

20. Sara McFall January 9, 2013 at 1:02 am #

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful story, Kara! And to think a reader of your’s gave that to you and shared that story. That is just PRICELESS and I love what you did with the colors. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

21. Marcia February 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Kara, Thank you for sharing Lori’s story and pattern. What beautiful memories of a sweet caring grandmother. I am thinking I might try this pattern with thread instead of yarn.
    My husband is a pastor and each year we give a gift to our deacons and their wives at the Christmas appreciation dinner we have for them. As money has gotten tighter, I have been looking for ideas of things I can make. I thought I might make a “bunch” of these and hang them from branch trees as center pieces and then let the couples take them home.
    I’ll let you know how they turn out. I know January and February are a little early to start thinking “Christmas” with so many things coming between.
    Thank you again and thanks to Lori!!

22. Anny May 4, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

wonderful story and will pay it forward! Hugs!

• Kara May 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

I’m so glad you enjoyed it 🙂

23. Sandy Hays July 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

…and this is one of the reasons I totally love your site. What an awesome story and so generous of Lori to share it all with you. It’s Grandmothers like that who shaped what Lori has become today. What a great story to tell. Thank you so much for sharing!

24. Emily December 3, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

very cute! Super excited to try this. Pinned it! EMily

25. Ruth December 21, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Thank you for the story and the pattern. I plan to make this in blue and white as its a six pointed star which is also known as the Star Of David to the people of the Jewish faith. I have a friend who I will make this for as a Hanukkah gift!

• Kara December 21, 2013 at 10:36 am #

That’s a fabulous idea, Ruth!

26. Paula May 9, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Thank you for the pretty star ornament pattern! I think it will be the perfect addition to give with our baked goods this year. I’m teaching my sister how to crochet and I’m sure that once she sees these, she will want to make some too 🙂

27. Morgan October 3, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Thank you for sharing this lovely pattern! Do you know if there’s a way to make it the center of a granny square? It would be perfect for a blanket idea I have in mind, but I’m new enough to crocheting that I’m not sure how to figure it out on my own.

• Kara October 6, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Oooh … that is such a great idea! I will have to play around and see 🙂

• Morgan October 9, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

Ooh I look forward to hearing if you think it’ll work:)

28. Mallory of PrintandPearls November 11, 2014 at 10:40 am #

what a great story! I too keep a large mason ball jar next to my spot with all my favorite needles, notions, and such. Thank you for the pattern, I really like it.

29. Lisa November 16, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

I have a question, the first round when done as directed leaves 5 points, yet the picture showes 6….which is right? I am one of those that uses pictures along with my crocheting to help keep track of where I’m at a lot of times.

• Kara November 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

Hi Lisa 🙂 Round 1 should give you 6 points as written and shown. The beginning ch 3, 2 dc counts as 1, then you work 3 dc, ch 1, and repeat that part 4 more times, for a total of 6. Make sense?

• Lisa November 16, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

That made sense haha. I was reading it wrong I guess, I just couldn’t get it worked out! 🙂 Thanks for the reply and thanks for all the patterns and such, love it!!

30. Annie Carr December 11, 2014 at 2:28 am #

Thank you! These are easy enough for a beginner, yet look quite fancy. I did mine all white, and they easily pass for snowflakes. These are to be used as coasters and, if I have time, I’ll make up some more to sew up into table runners.

31. Pam wolfe April 24, 2015 at 6:27 pm #

i was looking for a star to put on a afghan for a military support project. this will be perfect. thank you for the story and the pattern. it is perfect.

• Kara April 27, 2015 at 10:50 am #

What a wonderful idea! I am so glad to hear how you are using it 🙂

32. Laurie September 21, 2015 at 4:56 pm #

Apparently I’m going to spend all day on your webpages!! Cute star ornaments, already made 1.. now to go hunt down some more yarn from the stash!! Thank you!! And thanks for sharing a great story.

33. Denise May 24, 2016 at 7:29 am #

I really enjoyed the story and pattern of the granny star. I’ve been teaching my grand daughter to crochet. I think she would like this.I would like to try making these with cotton thread and enlarging the pattern to make small decorated stars for the tree.

• Kara May 24, 2016 at 10:42 am #

That sounds lovely, Denise 🙂

1. Photodiary 8 | Time to relax! | Lost I.D. - November 28, 2013

[…] bolletje wit garen bij me en besloot uiteindelijk om een kerststerretje te haken. Het patroon komt hier vandaan en ik heb het sterretje gehaakt met een dubbel draad super fijn garen.  Ik liep al weken […]

2. Star Spangled Banner Crochet Bunting | Petals to PicotsPetals to Picots - June 4, 2014

[…] saw someone on Ravelry work up my Granny Star Pattern in red, white, and blue and thought that would be a perfect idea for a 4th of July bunting! And so […]

3. Crocheted Ornaments ~ Free Crocheted Patterns - Seven Alive - November 19, 2014

[…] Granny Square ~ Petals and Picots   […]

4. Free Crochet Pattern Test: Granny Star | Poochie Baby - July 16, 2015

[…] written pattern for this granny star is located on the Petals to Picot blog. Check it […]

5. Crochet Christmas Star - The Crafty Mummy - July 20, 2015

[…] Find the tutorial at Petals to Picots […]

6. Free Christmas Christmas Ornament Crochet Patterns - review.daylinow.com - September 21, 2015

[…] Crochet Pattern Free Crochet Christmas Bell Pattern Free Crochet Christmas Pattern Free Christmas Crochet Granny Star Pattern Free Crocheted Star of Bethlehem Ornament Christmas Pattern Free Peppermint Candies […]

7. Plarn Star Christmas Ornaments | My Recycled Bags.com - December 7, 2015

[…] Below I have two different sets of Christmas stars, one is crocheted with recycled plastic bags or plarn and then the other matching one is done in acrylic yarn. The granny stitch stars are both made using the exact same pattern that can be found here granny star pattern. […]