Special Surprise: Free Crochet Motif Pattern

Free Crochet Motif Pattern

I have a special surprise for you today!! I received permission from the publishers of Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square: Crochet Motifs to share this awesome crochet motif pattern with you. This is definitely one of my favorites.  After working one up for the book review I fell in love with it and decided to make a few more to make this pretty tea mat for my grandma’s birthday.

Motif #105

Rounds 1 and 5 Color A N
Rounds 2 and 3 Color B N
Round 4 Color C N

Begin with sliding loop.

Rnd 1 Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch-2), *dc in ring, ch 2; repeat from * six more times, join with slip st to third chain of ch-5. (8 dc)
Rnd 2 Ch 7 (counts as dc and ch-4), dc2tog in fourth chain from hook, *dc in next dc, ch 4, dc2tog in fourth chain from hook; repeat from * six more times, join with slip st to third chain of ch-7.
Rnd 3 Ch 1, sc in same stitch, *ch 3, skip next (ch-4 space, cluster), [dc3tog, (ch 4, dc3tog) two times] in next dc, ch 3, skip next (ch-4 space, cluster), sc in next dc; repeat from * around, omitting last sc, join with slip st to first sc.
Rnd 4 Ch 4 (counts as tr), *2 tr in next ch-3 space, dc in next cluster, 3 dc in next ch-4 space, ch 3, 3 dc in next ch-4 space, dc in next cluster, 2 tr in ch-3 space, tr in next sc; repeat from * around, omitting last tr, join with slip st to fourth chain of ch-4.
Rnd 5 Ch 1, sc in same stitch, *sc in each stitch to corner, (2 sc, ch 3, 2 sc) in corner ch-3 space; repeat from * three times, sc in each stitch to end of round, join to first sc. Fasten off.
Motif105_Diagram
       Motif105_JPolak

Excerpted from Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs © Edie Eckman, photography © John Polak, stitch diagram © Karen Manthey used with permission from Storey Publishing.

, , ,

16 Responses to Special Surprise: Free Crochet Motif Pattern

1. cristina August 16, 2012 at 9:41 am #

grazie una granny veramente bella
    un abbraccio
    cristina

2. Joyce Ellis August 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Thank you so much Kara and thank you Edie for sharing this pattern. I love it!

3. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects August 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Your mat is so beautiful, Kara, I love the colors you chose!

4. Heather - The Good Life August 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Pretty square, thank you for sharing the pattern. I like the tea mat you made for your grandmother, very pretty. Heather

5. Kadie August 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

How fun!! Gotta love free patterns! I really like the mat you made out of the squares. I bet your grandmother loved it.:)

6. Sara McFall August 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

This is gorgeous, Kara! How fun to get to review that. I love the picture you took, with the coffee. Thanks for linking up to Hookin On Hump Day!

7. Rajeswari August 17, 2012 at 2:09 am #

This is one of my fav books too :) Thanks for visiting me and all your kind words! I love the color co-ordination you have done with the mat and the tea cup. Its perfect n looks very vintage. M sure your grandma would love it!!

8. Ana BC August 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

What a pleasant surprise! And your project with that motif matches perfectly with that cup. A sweet way to have tea…or coffee.
    ♥ Ana BC

9. Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. August 18, 2012 at 1:10 am #

Girl – you’ve got mad skills! Wish I could crochet! Thanks for linking up to the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

10. Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home August 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Wow! This is beautiful! Jill’s right…you’ve got mad skills for sure :o)

Thanks for linking up to Keep Calm & Link Up this week!

11. Krpena LUTKICA April 26, 2014 at 4:44 am #

Thak you very much for sharing the pattern, I really like it a lot! The colors are superb! :)

• Kara April 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

• Kara April 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Thank you!

12. Dawn July 23, 2014 at 10:49 am #

Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing this beautiful motif. The possibilities are endless as I study on the color combinations shown. Thank you again.

1. Ingyenes horgolt blokk minták | Szeretek horgolni - June 4, 2013

[…] http://www.petalstopicots.com/2012/08/special-surprise-free-motif-pattern/ […]

2. {2014 project – May squares} | aurelia's little room - May 26, 2014

[…] square #124 of 365 http://www.petalstopicots.com/2012/08/special-surprise-free-motif-pattern/ […]