Lacy Cross Crochet Pattern

11.7K Flares Google+ 93 StumbleUpon 58 Pin It Share 6.3K Facebook 5.3K Twitter 11 11.7K Flares ×

What better pattern to share for Easter than a cross. This pretty cross is made using a small steel hook and cotton crochet thread. I am so in love with how it came out! You can add a loop at the top for hanging, add a tassel for a bookmark, or even add some beads for a little color.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” — John 11:25-26 (NIV)
Lace Cross Crochet Pattern

Lacy Cross Crochet Pattern

• Size 10 crochet thread
  •  A hook /Steel 2 mm
  • tapestry needle

Finished cross measures approx. 4¾ in. x 3¾ in.

Special Stitches:

Puff stitch: Yarn over hook, draw up a loop in designated stitch, repeat twice more, yarn over and pull through all 7 loops on hook.

Long single crochet (Lsc): Draw loop through designated stitch to height of row being worked, complete as single crochet (the Lsc takes the place of the next stitch in the current row).

Picot (p): Chain 3, work 1 single crochet in the third chain from hook.

Ch 9, join in furthest chain from hook to form a ring.

Foundation Round: Ch 2, *work 1 puff st into ring, ch 1, rep from * 11 more times, join in top of beginning ch — 12 puff sts.

Round 1: Ch 1, work 1 sc into same ch sp as join, 2 sc in next ch sp, *ch 12, Sl st in 6th ch from hook and each of the next 6 ch, work 2 sc in each of the next 3 ch sp of Foundation Round, rep from * twice more, ch 20, Sl st in 6th ch from hook and each of the next 14 ch, work 2 sc in next ch sp of Foundation Round, 1 sc in next ch sp, join in 1st sc of round — 4 points of the cross and 24 scs.

Round 2: Ch 1, 1 Lsc over st from previous round and into same ch sp from Foundation Round, 2 Lsc over sts from previous round and into next ch sp from Foundation Round, *sk 1st sc at beginning of point and work 1 sc in each of the next 6 ch, [1 sc, ch 1, puff st, ch 1, puff st, ch 1, puff st, ch 1, 1 sc] in center of ch-5 sp, 1 Lsc over sts from previous round and into each of the next 6 ch, sk last sc, work 2 Lsc over sts from previous round and into each of the next 3 ch sp from Foundation Round, rep from * twice more, sk 1st sc at beginning of point and work 1 sc in each of the next 14 ch, [1 sc, ch 1, puff st, ch 1, puff st, ch 1, puff st, ch 1, 1 sc] in center of ch-5 sp, 1 Lsc over sts from previous round and into each of the next 14 ch, sk last sc, work 2 Lsc over sts from previous round and into the next ch sp from Foundation Round, 1 Lsc in next ch sp, join in 1st Lsc of round — 21 sts on Points 1 through 3; 37 sts on Point 4; 24 Lscs.

Round 3: Ch 1, 1 Lsc over st from previous rounds and into same ch sp from Foundation Round, 2 Lsc over sts from previous rounds and into next ch sp from Foundation Round, *work 1 Lsc over sts from previous rounds and into each of the next 6 ch, 1 Lsc into ch-5 sp, ch 1, puff st in next ch sp, ch 1, p, [puff st, ch 2, puff st] in next ch sp, ch 1, p, [puff st, ch 2, puff st] in next ch sp, ch 1, p, puff st in next ch sp, ch 2, 1 Lsc in ch-5 sp, 1 Lsc over sts from previous round and into each of the next 6 ch, work 2 Lsc over sts from previous round and into each of the next 3 ch sp from Foundation Round, rep from * twice more, *work 1 Lsc over sts from previous rounds and into each of the next 14 ch, 1 Lsc into ch-5 sp, ch 1, puff st in next ch sp, ch 1, p, [puff st, ch 2, puff st] in next ch sp, ch 1, p, [puff st, ch 2, puff st] in next ch sp, ch 1, p, puff st in next ch sp, ch 2, 1 Lsc in ch-5 sp, 1 Lsc over sts from previous round and into each of the next 14 ch, work 2 Lsc over sts from previous round and into next ch sp from Foundation Round, 1 Lsc in next ch sp, join in 1st Lsc of round — 33 sts on Points 1 through 3; 49 sts on Point 4; 24 Lscs.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

For best results, I recommend blocking these crosses. If desired you can also brush the finished cross with either a homemade or store-bought stiffener. For stiffening instructions, see my Star of Bethlehem pattern

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him.

— John 3:16-17

Lace Cross Crochet Pattern

, , ,

97 Responses to Lacy Cross Crochet Pattern

1. luvmyferretz April 4, 2012 at 3:37 am #

Beautiful. Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing this pattern.

• Kara at Petals to Picots April 4, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

You are very welcome! I hope you enjoy it :)

• Keltic April 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

New to your Blog. Thank you for the beautiful cross pattern.

• masina April 19, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Is there any way you could do a picture tutorial .
      this is such a pretty cross ,

2. Anna April 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Lovely!
    Pitty I only work with graphic.
    Hug and Happy Easter !
    Anna

• Kara at Petals to Picots April 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

Thank you so much, Anna! I wish I had the software to do symbol patterns. There are so many times when I think it would be so much easier to understand than when written.

3. Anonymous April 9, 2012 at 4:17 am #

BEEN LOOKING FOR A CROSS PATTERN TO MAKE FOR MY CHURCH GROUP AND SENIOR CENTER. MANY THANKS

• Kara at Petals to Picots April 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

You are very welcome!! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for the sweet note :)

• Sally November 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

I am wondering how and where you added the beads to the crosses in your other pictures…

• Kara November 20, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Hi Sally :) To make one with beads, make sure to string all the beads on your thread before you start crocheting. Then when you reach the point where you would want a bead, move one up to next to your hook and work your stitch around it. The bead will show up on the opposite side of your work. Hope that helps!

4. hannahw April 16, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Beautiful Here is my Sundae Scoop post: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/bell-bottom-baby.html

5. Rachel April 20, 2012 at 1:16 am #

So pretty! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

6. The House at Bluebird Lane April 25, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Beautiful cross! Even though I don’t do it, I’m a big fan of crochet. :-)

7. Annmarie Pipa May 1, 2012 at 4:21 am #

oh how lovely!! gives a reminder while I am reading!! so pretty!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

8. mommadaisy June 3, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Beautiful cross patter…thank you for your witness

9. barbara June 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Thank you for sharing this beautiful pattern and the text – I think I will be making a few of these for gifts, you quite made my day. Chorister St. George’s Church Choir, Stockport England

10. Tish June 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

So Lovely! Thank-you for sharing!

11. Anonymous June 8, 2012 at 3:31 am #

For some reason I am getting really hung up on round 2. I’m just not sure that I am understanding correctly what I am supposed to do after the ch-5 sp on the points. Can you please clarify? Am I supposed to have one side of the point in sc and the other side in lsc? Thanks!!!

• Kara at Petals to Picots June 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Yes, that’s right … since in the previous round you worked sc down one side of the chain, in this round you are going to work sc up the unworked side of the chain and long single crochets over the single crochets from the previous round. This way, both sides will look balanced. Hope this helps! If not, definitely come back and ask :)

12. Anonymous June 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

This cross is so pretty! I hope I can make it. Just learning to crochet. I, too, paused at round 2. Maybe your answer will get me going again. Will certainly share the blog with my friend/teacher.

13. Anonymous June 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

just found your page and love the work you do.have been looking for a new pattern for a cross and yours is perfect.my 12 year old grand daughter says she needs one. thanks for sharing
    your lovey work.i have been crocheting for 63 years. rena

• Anonymous August 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I’ve been looking for patterns to crochet with fabric – love love love the nesting bowls – cutting fabric as we speak, almost. Then thanks be to God came across your pattern for the beautiful cross can not wait to pull out thread and hook! Was asked to work with a few retired Sisters who want to keep busy and send pretties to the missisons in Haiti. Crocheted fabric placemats yesterday, working on bowls today, cross tonight. If the Sisters don’t like these I sure do and am having a wonderful time. Thank you and God’s rich blessings to you and yours. Linda

• Kara @ Petals to Picots August 22, 2012 at 1:25 am #

Hi Linda! I am so happy that you like it :) And what a blessing to me to know it will be used for such great work. Thank you for taking the time to leave a sweet comment! God bless :)

• Kara @ Petals to Picots August 22, 2012 at 1:26 am #

Glad you like it, Rena! And hope your granddaughter does too :)

14. Anonymous August 29, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

I LOVE this! I will make several to take to the shut-ins I visit from my church family, and also as gifts for others I know who would like to have one. You are so kind to share your patterns and I appreciate it. (Brenda from Memphis TN)

• Kara @ Petals to Picots September 4, 2012 at 1:15 am #

I am so glad you like it, Brenda! And it makes me so happy to know what you are using them for :) Thank you so much for the sweet comment. God Bless!

15. Anonymous September 15, 2012 at 12:19 am #

Hi,
    This is a beautiful cross. Excellent way to share the gospel!!! Keep on Sharing!!!

16. Jamie Carder-Haas November 6, 2012 at 2:02 am #

I just found this pattern and it is absolutely beautiful! I can’t wait to make some for my friends at church. Thanks for providing such a wonderful pattern!

17. Anonymous December 2, 2012 at 6:40 am #

Hey Ӏ am sο haρρy I founԁ your
    sіte, I rеally fоund yоu by accident, while I wаs rеѕеaгching on Digg
    fοr ѕоmething else, Anyhοw I аm heгe nоω аnd would ϳust lіke to say thank
    уou for a remаrkable post аnԁ a аll round interesting
    blοg (I also lovе the theme/ԁesign), ӏ don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent work.http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981789686
    Also visit my web page :: Merlin Season 5 Episode 9

18. Wendy Wimberley March 2, 2013 at 6:04 am #

This is such a lovely cross. Thank you for sharIng the pattern. I can’t wait to make one of these. :-)

19. Donna March 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

I want to make this sooo bad but I’m new at this crocheting and am learning needle tatting. Do you think this would be too hard right now. I”m thinking of making some of these for next Christmas. Thank You

• Kara @ Petals to Picots March 5, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Hi Donna :) I say give it a try and see. You might surprise yourself at how much you can do. Let me know how it turns out. Enjoy!

20. Carole April 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful project. This Lacy Cross was the perfect pattern for this Holy Week. I’m experienced at crochet and I only had minor misunderstanding of the instructions, never having worked a long single crochet. After creating 10 Lacy Crosses I have a better understanding. I can now make one in 2 hours while sending prayers and Blessing to the person I’m making it for. This was the perfect project for my road trip this Easter. I will blog a link and some pictures. Thanks again….Blessing Carole

21. joan May 23, 2013 at 10:40 am #

The cross is what I have been looking for. Want to make some for friends that have lost a spouse. Also for some women that have been displaced by the West, Texas explosion.
    The problem I have is that I cannot get it to print. Any hints??
    Thanks and God Bless!

• Kara May 23, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Hi Joan :) So glad you like it! I just saved it as a pdf and sent it to your email. Hope that helps.

22. joan May 23, 2013 at 11:09 am #

It worked!! Thanks so much! God Bless!!!

• Kara May 23, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Yay! God bless you too :)

23. Melissa June 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

Hi, I really like this cross and want to make it but I’m having a really hard time reading the pattern.. Is there a video on how to make this cross? Thanks…

• Kara June 21, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Unfortunately I do not :(

24. Jessica June 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

My first attempt was pretty but not perfect, I love the pattern and definitely will be making a few more now that I understand my mistake. Thanks for the pattern :)

• Kara June 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

My pleasure, Jessica! Hope the you are happier with the next try :)

25. Rikki June 28, 2013 at 2:22 am #

While I, too, wish to thank you for sharing so many of your beautiful designs, AND their patterns, I would like to go one step further and congratulate you in your diligence in following up on your website and taking the time to respond to so many of your fans. Especially when they are not asking for clarification. I am sure that kind gesture on your part is appreciated by many. Thank you

• Kara June 28, 2013 at 6:57 am #

It is absolutely my pleasure :) Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment! You made my day :)

26. Jean Taylor July 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Love your cross but hung up on round 2.
    Do you have a video on this pattern? Would love to share this with the women who crochet at church.

• Kara July 9, 2013 at 10:59 am #

Hi Jean :) I am sorry you are having trouble. I am hoping to get a video up at some point.

• Melissa July 14, 2013 at 1:47 am #

Oh please do. I would love to make this still :)

• Kara July 16, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

I will try :)

27. Messina October 4, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Hi, I love the pattern, but like a bunch of others, I am stuck at round 2. I saw that you were going to try and make a video of this pattern, is one available? Or even different step by step pictures?

28. Marl October 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

I found your site and thought ‘how nice this cross would be for the church in which my synagogue holds services and shares space.’

But, have changed my mind — the showing of anti-Semitism in the bible picture continues to spread hatred.

I’ll work on something else for the church.

• Kara October 19, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Hi Marl :) I am sorry this has offended you. I have been over and over the post a dozen times and can’t figure out or find anything that I believe would be anti-Semitic or offensive.

29. Marl October 19, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

I must be the only person who can read the bible …

I responded to you via your email.

Maybe your picture could be changed to the Hebrew bible section: Psalms / Proverbs, for instance.

Thank you for responding – much appreciated.

Since my synagogue has deep connections sharing space in a church, I thought it would be nice to crochet lacy crosses to add into their bibles the church leaves in the pews.

30. Emilia December 8, 2013 at 1:28 am #

love this cross!! do you have a youtube channel? thank you

31. Clare January 2, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

Thanks for sharing this. Have had an odd day as been seen by doc who is worried about a large fast growingg lump on my back, so now being passed to a surgeon very quickly. Also this evening my house is on a flood risk alert. Seeing this post pop up I believe is no coincince and I am very pleased to come across it. I will make the cross and keep it with me – Thanks xx

32. lina January 24, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

me gustaria, si podes mandarme el esquema, es la forma mas facil para hacer un tejido y mas la Cruz Gracias

33. Suzy February 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I love this pattern so beautiful. My granddaughter is getting married in November of this year and I have started so many crochet items for her shower. But this will be at the top of my list I am sure she will keep it forever. thank you for the final piece that will make me happy to have done this for her..

• Kara March 4, 2014 at 9:53 am #

That makes me so happy to hear, Suzy! I hope she loves it :)

34. Rebecca March 18, 2014 at 9:15 am #

Hi! I love this pattern and beautiful cross! I tried it yesterday w/ a 4mm hook and thread (the smallest I had) and I love how it turned out. Going to get a 2mm hook and smaller thread today. 1 question – what do you mean at the end when you say, “For best results, I recommend blocking these crosses.” Thank you for the clarification! :) God Bless!!

35. LuAnn Braley March 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Thank goodness it’s crochet. When I saw “lacy”, I assumed tatting and I’m just starting out on that craft. These would be great (and thrifty) as gifties any time during the year! Oh, I’m a new subscriber, too. :O)

36. Cindy March 25, 2014 at 8:21 am #

I would love to make these for aunts and a few of their special friends. I am unfamiliar with the stitches. Did you ever make a video?
    Does it take a long time to make?
    I REALLY want to learn to make these. Any assistance would be appreciated. Plus if you could email me directly that would be great since I travel more than am home which is why making these would be a great distraction :)

37. Lauren March 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

Aw I absolutely love this!! So dainty and beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Kara April 3, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

My pleasure, Lauren. So glad you like it :)

38. anna March 29, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

I need help, I don’t understand what you mean by ch sp, are you referring to the next stitch? I tried following your directions and it did not come out to look anything like a cross in the first row, any help is appreciated please and thank you

• Kara March 31, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Hi Anna :) Ch sp stands for chain space, not the next stitch. Hope that helps!

39. anna March 29, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

this pattern is not written right or I am just stupid but the amount of stitches etc are not coming out right for me, I am sorry, I tried :( love the way this cross came out for you wish I could do it

• Kara April 3, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

I am sorry you are having trouble, Anita :( I am hoping to make a video tutorial on this so hopefully that will be Able to help.

40. Judi April 8, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

Just checking in to see if you do have a tutorial or picture tutorial. Love this but just not sure on round 2.
    Thanks for the beautiful pattern. Never used thread before so maybe I should try bigger hook and cotton
    To see if that makes a difference.

• Kara April 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

I don’t have one yet. Sorry :(

41. Tammi Jones April 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

I just found your blog a couple of days ago. So thrilled to do so. I made the lace cross. I will be making more to hand out to family and friends. I will also be making the star of Bethlehem ornament. Thank you for the patterns. I’m sure you have more that I will be making.

• Kara April 16, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

That makes me so happy to hear, Tammi! So glad you are enjoying them :)

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

That makes me so happy to hear, Tammi! So glad you enjoy them :)

42. Trisha April 14, 2014 at 2:11 am #

Made 7 of the crosses(I knew when I took them to church,my friends would want them) and the collection box looked good that Sunday.

43. Marl April 14, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

My synagogue shares space with the church and I see the prayer books for the church and want so badly to crochet this beautiful cross – and slip the finished piece into one of their books.

Alas, my crocheting isn’t very good and don’t know about following the directions.

For now, from my heart to each of you and yours, Sweet Pesach and Blessed Easter.

• Kara April 16, 2014 at 2:41 pm #

What a nice thought, Marl! Sweet Pesach and Blessed Easter to you :)

• Marl April 16, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

Alas, the ‘nice thought’ doesn’t get the crosses into the hymnals.

• Lina Schnetz April 16, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Felices Pascuas y que la gracia de Dios te acompañen siempre. Desde Argentina te saludo cordialmente. Lina

• Marl April 17, 2014 at 4:00 am #

Lina, No rush Navidad! En primer lugar tenemos que pasar por Pascua y Pascua y unos cuantos otros días festivos. Bienvenido – desde el sur de California.

I’m pretty sure the online translation might not make sense to you.

Have you been crocheting for a long time?

• Lina April 17, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Siiiiiiii Pascua, debe haber problema con la traduccion. Para mis c. Sldosreencias es una fecha importante y no la confundo con la Navidad. Saludos

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

• Lina April 20, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

pero nos entendemos igual ……….bssssssssssssss

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Yes, for over 30 years :)

• Kara April 19, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

44. Ines Zapata May 11, 2014 at 12:02 am #

Hermoso trabajo, personalmente soy fan del crochet.Tiene mucho tiempo que estoy buscando una Cruz se acerca la primera comunion de mi hijo y deseo realizar esta hermosa obra de vos. Pero me he detenido en la segunda ronda. No teneis grafico. Saludos y todo lo que realizais esta hermoso. Bendiciones.

45. delores saunders July 2, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

anyone that can do this is amazing to me! First of all the directions are written in some foreign language that is not even spoken on this planet, then some people actually come out with the beautiful results?

Just lets me know there are some aliens on the planet crocheting crosses for us- this is good to know!

46. Katie July 22, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

This is so beautiful! I did one in the size and with the hook you recommended. Then I followed it up with one made with worsted weight yarn and an 3.75 mm hook. It turned out amazing. Dimensions were as follows: 11 1/2″ long X 9 1/2″ wide

1. Free Crochet Pattern Link Blast: Easter (Traditional) | WIPs 'N Chains - March 14, 2014

[…] Lacy Cross http://www.petalstopicots.com/2012/04/lacy-cross-crochet-pattern/ […]

2. 30 Christian Easter Crafts - Do Small Things with Love - March 21, 2014