1.7K Flares Google+ 2 StumbleUpon 638 Pin It Share 953 Facebook 87 Twitter 2 1.7K Flares ×

Mother’s Day is coming and I want a bright and cheery centerpiece to adorn my dining table … something colorful and perfect to keep on the table for Spring and Summer. Why not a crocheted centerpiece! I had an idea … so, off to my local yarn shop for some Lily Sugar ‘n Cream cotton yarn. After a little brainstorming and experimentation, I finally came up with something I love!!

Want to make your own? Here’s what you’ll need:

• A wide vase
  • A smaller cup that is the same height as the vase (I used a water bottle that I cut down to size)
  • A bunch of crocheted balls  (pattern below)
  • Flowers (hint, hint, honey!)

To make your centerpiece, place the small cup inside the vase and fill in the space outside the small cup with your crocheted balls.

Then, carefully add water to the center cup and add flowers.

Voila!!

Beautiful!

Crochet Ball Pattern

Skill Level: Easy
Yarn: Worsted weight cotton yarn
Hooks: G hook
Notions: Tapestry needle, stitch markers, fiberfill stuffing
Finished Sizes: Approx. 1¼ in. and ¾ in.

Tips:  For best results, use the invisible decrease.  For a tutorial, see Planet June.

Before beginning, do a quick calculation to determine the maximum ball size that will fit in your centerpiece. Subtract the diameter of the small cup from the diameter of your vase, then divide by two. This will be the the maximum size ball that will fit.  Use a smaller hook size or adjust your stitch tension if necessary to achieve proper size.

Large Ball

Ch 2.

Round 1: 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, do not join, continue working rounds in a spiral — 6 sts.

Round 2: 2 sc in each stitch around — 12 sts.

Round 3: *2 sc in 1st st, 1 sc in next, rep from * around — 18 sts.

Rounds 4 through 6: 1 sc in each st around — 18 sts.

Round 7: *sc2tog, 1 sc in next, rep from * around — 12 sts.

Round 8: sc2tog around — 6 sts.

Fasten off, leaving approx. a 6-in. tail. Fill ball with stuffing. Using a tapestry needle, use tail to weave Round 8 closed.

Small Ball

Ch 2.

Round 2: 2 sc in each stitch around — 12 sts.

Rounds 3 and 4: 1 sc in each st around — 12 sts.

Round 5: sc2tog around — 6 sts.

Fasten off, leaving approx. a 6-in. tail. Fill ball with stuffing. Using a tapestry needle, use tail to weave Round 5 closed.

Enjoy!

, ,

62 Responses to Crochet Your Way to a Beautiful Centerpiece – Free Crochet Ball Pattern Included

1. My Bizarre Family May 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

That is so cute! I am a new follower from the Blog Hop social!

2. Crystal May 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

These are so beautiful! I wish I knew how to crochet! ;)

3. Kadie May 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

So cute! Perfect for Mother’s Day and spring!!

• Kara at Petals to Picots May 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Thanks, Kadie!

• Kadie May 10, 2012 at 3:38 am #

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing at our party!
      I will be featuring these tomorrow at the party. Hope you have had a wonderful week.:)

4. DezF May 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Oooooh, great idea! I’m not a crochet-er but one of my daughters is…I wonder how hard it will be to talk her into it….lol
    Thanks so much for stopping by and voting for my friend, you have no idea how much it means to those of us trying to help that family :)
    New follower!
    -Desiree’

5. Jessica May 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

This is so pretty and unique! How many crochet balls do you think you made to fill the vase?
    Jessica

6. Anonymous May 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

How cute! Cheerful, too. : )

7. CrazyNutsMom May 2, 2012 at 12:23 am #

These are adorable. You are very talented. I have tried to crochet many times and have failed.

8. Christine May 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

They are adorable!!! I wish I could crochet!!!

Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!

9. Mimi May 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

What a fun idea! I’ve just gotten back into crocheting after a long time. I hope to try this soon! Thanks for sharing

10. Hani@Craftionary May 4, 2012 at 2:39 am #

I want those crochet balls!!!! :)Pinned this superb idea.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

11. Rachel May 4, 2012 at 2:44 am #

These are so pretty! I love all the different colors. I can’t get over what a great idea this is. Thanks for the pattern. Pinned! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

12. SWEET YARNS May 4, 2012 at 5:01 am #

This flower arrangement is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!

13. myric andreasen May 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

My church friend loves to make these. Unlike me, I don’t know anything about crocheting but I like this! I better show this beauty to her :)

There is a link party going on in my blog today. I would LOVE for you to share this :)

xoxo
    Myric

14. Navy Wifey Peters May 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

This is a cool decorating idea! I found you on the Someday Crafts blog-hop.

15. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. May 5, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Oh how cute! It’s fun and colorful!

16. Crafty Mischief May 7, 2012 at 4:54 am #

So cute! Thank you, thank you for sharing the pattern! :)

17. DebbieDoesCreations May 7, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

You must have a ton of patience. I don’t know if I could ever crochet something but you ALWAYS continue to amaze me week after week! Thanks for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

18. Christine May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Kara!!

You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Come on over and grab the ”featured” button! :)

19. Mindie Hilton May 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Beautiful centerpiece. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

20. Trish - Mom On Timeout May 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

So so pretty! Pinning Kara! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

–Trish

21. Sara May 10, 2012 at 2:50 am #

You’re very welcome Kara! Thanks for sharing this fun idea. Love it! And I’m so happy your a new follower at Tangled Happy. :)

22. The Lovely Mrs. P May 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Stopping by to let you know I featured your Crocheted Balls today! Too Cute! Great idea!
    I would love it if you would come by and link something up again today!
    Kim@madeinaday

23. Sherri May 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

I came over from Pinterest Im going to make these for Mothers Day thanks for the idea.

24. culturafemenina May 11, 2012 at 12:55 am #

This is right for me..I started doing crochet 3 weeks ago!!! yeah..i know…but i really really like it. I learning trough you tube and some web site with tutorials…I still trying to understand the descriptions of a pattern. So i’m going to try this easy project.
    I loved your blog I’m your new follower.

25. Diana May 11, 2012 at 12:16 am #

Great idea! I could use something like this in my girls’ room and I have lots of yarn scraps I could use. Thanks!

26. Melissa @ Loving this {crazy} life! May 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

I absolute LOVE how this looks! I’m not very good at crochet, so I may have to have my friend help me with this one. I’d love for you to link up to my party.

Hope you have a great weekend!

27. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear May 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

This is so summery- love it! Thanks for sharing at Things I’ve Done Thursday this week.

28. mokumba May 18, 2012 at 11:52 am #

I will try these tonight!
    They look great!
    Thanks for sharing !

29. Sailing with bare feet July 4, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

OMG these are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!
    Do you have a video tutorial for the balls?? I have a really hard time following patterns…
    Sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com

• uglo July 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Look up “crochet balls” on Youtube and you’ll find many tutorials.

30. carmen July 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Sometime simple things just look stunning! Thanks for this idea ;)

31. KCoake July 20, 2012 at 1:18 am #

Love the colors! So pretty and I love how you added the vase in the middle. Looks so cheery on the table.

32. Megan July 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Super cute…and I hope your hubby took the hint and has been keeping it full of flowers!

33. Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

now that christmas is closer, crochet the balls in holiday colors:)

34. Lynn Reedy February 12, 2013 at 2:36 am #

What a wonderful idea !! I had been making some crochet balls for my 1 year old little boy and this is a fabulous idea !! Thanks for sharing !!

35. Denyse @ Glitter, Glue & Paint April 29, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

These are really cute and I love them in the vase with flowers.

• Kara April 29, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Thanks so much :)

36. Carrie P July 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

These are so cute! How did you get the spiral stripe pattern? Each strip looks continuous, like you did not change yarns. How did you do that?

37. Marie Martin May 26, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Kara – thanks for tip on making the balls. My idea is:
    I have a table on the screen porch that needs a centerpiece. The table is always being moved to accommodate drop-ins, so I didn’t want glass or water.
    I’ll cut a soda bottle and glue a piece of bright bias tape around the top.
    Fill the “jar” with balls and make crocheted flowers on pipe cleaners or wire, whichever works.
    Ya think?

1. Make It Crochet – Crocheted Centerpiece - April 11, 2014

[…] My hat’s off to Kara Gunza of Petals to Picots for this wonderfully clever crochet decorating idea. Kara has made this pattern available for free HERE. […]