I am so excited to tell you about a fun crochet along for a very awesome cause!! Over the next two weeks, I will be joining 9 of my blogging friends in raising cancer awareness and crocheting up hats for Crochet for Cancer, Hooks of Hope, located in Eastern Pennsylvania. I can’t think of a better way to put those crochet skills to work than to crochet for cancer. And we want YOU to join us!! We even have a bunch of free crochet patterns to choose from to get you started!
And I can’t forget to mention that there will also be a huge prize package from Red Heart Yarn worth $125 to the first person whose package is received by Hooks for Hope after the crochet along deadline! This post is packed with information so be sure to keep reading.
A BIG thank you to Sara from My Merry Messy Life for organizing this crochet along and all my bloggy friends participating!
This is a great opportunity to try out some new hat patterns too! Here is a list of free patterns from the bloggers participating, but feel free to make your own too …
- Moose Beanie All Sizes
- Fox Beanie All Sizes
- Lion Beanie All Sizes
- Sugar Love Beanie Baby Sizes
- Cheery Lime Adult Beanie Adult Size
- Baby Boy Beanie with Pom Pom Preemie and Baby Sizes
- Crochet Monster Hat Toddler and Child Sizes
- Basic Single Crochet Beanie All Sizes
- Basic Half Double Crochet Beanie All Sizes
- Jake the Dog Hat Child Size
- Blue’s Clues Hat Child Size
- Cute and Warm Beanie with Bow All Sizes
- Holiday Hats All Sizes
- Free Simple Single Crochet Beanie All Sizes
- Bright Stripes Beanie Child and Adult Sizes
- Walkabout Slouch Toddler, Child, Adult
- Easy Preemie Hat
- Morning Frost Hat Adult Size
- Country Appeal Hat and Matching Scarf Adult Size
- Mystic Beanie Adult Size
- Cabled Hat with Brim Adult Size
- Leaping Stripes and Blocks Beanies All Sizes
The crochet along will run from now through Monday, April 21, 2014. Here are the requirements for your donation, per the Crochet for Cancer website:
- Must be new – never worn
- Clean – free of perfume, pet hair and smoke
- Placed individually in clear ziplock style plastic bags
- Soft yarn is best cotton, acrylic, silk, fleece or a blend is best. Do not use wool or alpaca as they can irritate the scalp.
- We accept baby, children, youth, and adult hats.
- Please use patterns that do not have gaps or large holes. A tighter stitch is best so that it covers the scalp.
- Be sure to wash your hands on a regular basis while making the caps.
If you would prefer to make a different item for the crochet along or donate to the cause in another way, they also accept …
- Blankets (all sizes)
- Prayer Shawls
- Be creative, we accept any type of gift item to give to a person fighting cancer.
For example, a crochet pink ribbon pin to support breast cancer awareness.
- Yarn, Yarn, Yarn!!!
- Gift cards to purchase yarn and supplies from the following locations: Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, AC Moore Crafts, WalMart, and JoAnn Fabric.
Please Mail Your Package to:
Hooks of Hope
c/o Melissa Wortmann
P.O. Box 163
Neffs, PA 18065
We would still love for you to participate by donating your projects to your local hospitals or charities. Let us know what you’re up to by sharing on social media!
The Fabulous Prize ~ $125 Worth of Yarn From Red Heart!
The crochet along is open worldwide, but the contest is better suited to residents of the US and Canada, although anyone is welcome to mail a package to Hooks of Hope. Contest rules:
- Complete the challenge by making at least 4 projects (or two large projects, like a blanket or shawl)
- Mail your package to Hooks of Hope (address above)
- Make sure your package is postmarked on or before April 28, 2014
- All packages with that postmark will be entered into a raffle three weeks after April 28, on May 19 (to give time for all the packages to come in the mail)
- The first package drawn will receive the grand prize from Red Heart. The 2nd through 5th packages will receive handmade plarn bags with yarn goodies inside from Hooks of Hope!
I can’t wait to see all your projects!!! Feel free to post them up on my Facebook page or to other social media. Make sure to use the hashtag #CrochetForCancerCAL so we can all find each other!