Summer Crochet Bag Pattern – Easy Summer Tote

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

A casual and lightweight summer crochet bag pattern … perfect for a day around the town or a trip to the beach! This pattern is worked in two colors of cotton yarn to make it lightweight yet durable.

Summer Crochet Bag Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com

Enjoy 🙂

Summer Crochet Bag Pattern

Where possible I include links to the products and resources I mention. Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission on purchases at absolutely no additional cost to my readers. These affiliate relationships help offset the costs of running this website. You can read my full Disclosure Statement here.

Summer Crochet Bag Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #pattern #bag #tote #purse #summer

Here’s what you will need to make the Summer Crochet Bag Pattern:

Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern: Crochet AbbreviationsU.S. to U.K. Crochet Conversion Chart, Crochet Stitch Chart Symbols.

Available as a convenient, ad-free pdf download here.

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Finished tote measures approximately 13 in. wide × 13 in. tall, with a 14 in. strap drop.

Special Stitches:

2 Double Crochet Cluster (2dc-cl) — yarn over, instead hook into st, yarn over and pull loop through st (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook (2 loops remain), yarn over and insert hook into same st, yarn over and pull loop through st (4 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook (3 loops remain), yarn over pull through remaining loops.

Double crochet Cluster V Stitch (dc-cl V st) — [2dc-cl, ch 1, 2dc-cl] in indicated stitch.

Bag Body

With CA, ch 3 (counts as ch 1 + 1st hdc).

Round 1: Work 7 hdc in 3rd ch from hook, join — 8 hdc.

Round 2: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), work 1 hdc in same st as join, work 2 hdc in remaining sts around, join — 16 hdc.

Round 3:  Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in next, *2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in next, rep from * around, join — 24 hdc.

Round 4:  Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, *2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, rep from * around, join — 32 hdc.

Round 5:  Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, *2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * around, join — 40 hdc.

Round 6:  Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, *2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, rep from * around, join — 48 hdc.

Round 7: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, *2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts, rep from * around, join — 56 hdc.

Round 8:  Ch 2, work 1 hdc in same st as join, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, *2 hdc in next, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, rep from * around, join — 64 hdc.

Round 9: Ch 2, work [1 dc, ch 1, 2dc-cl] in same st as join, skip next st, *[2dc-cl, ch 1, 2dc-cl], skip next st, repeat from * around, ch 1 and join with a Sl st in first ch-1 sp — 32 dc-cl V sts.

Round 10: Ch 2, work [1 dc, ch 1, 2dc-cl] in same ch-sp as join, work [2dc-cl, ch 1, 2dc-cl] in next ch-sp and each ch-sp around, ch 1 and join with a Sl st in first ch-1 sp — 32 dc-cl V sts.

Rounds 11 through 24: Join CB and rep Round 10.

Rounds 25 through 27: Join CA and rep Round 10.

Round 28: Ch 1 (does not count as st), work 1 sc in same st as join and in each st around, join — 64 sts.

Cluster V Stitch Diagram | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #stitch #diagram

Strap

Row 1: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in next 7 sts, turn — 8 sts.

Row 2: Ch 2, hdc2tog, work 1 hdc in next 3 sts, hdc2tog, turn — 6 sts.

Row 3: Ch 2, work 1 hdc in next 5 sts, turn — 6 sts.

Rows 4 through 55: Repeat Row 3; add additional rows if longer strap is desired.

Row 56: Ch 2, 2 hdc  in next, work 1 hdc in next 3 sts, 2 hdc in last — 8 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail to sew strap to other side of bag.

Finishing

Sew strap to opposite side of bag. Join CA in any stitch of Round 28 of bag, work 1 sc in each st across and up around edge of strap, join. Repeat on opposite side of bag and strap. If you would like to add a drawstring, ch approximately 90 sts and fasten off. Weave drawstring through stitches of Round 27 of bag; tie together and knot ends for detail.

If desired, you can also line your bag to keep little odds and ends from popping through. To do this, cut two pieces of fabric slightly larger than the dimensions of your bag; try to leave about a ½ in. in-seam around. With right sides together, sew around sides and bottom of bag. Fold top over and stitch top seam. Leaving fabric with right sides in, insert lining in your bag and hand stitch to inside-top of bag.

Lining a Crochet Bag | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #pattern #bag #tote #purse #summer

A casual and lightweight summer crochet bag pattern ... perfect for a day around the town or a trip to the beach! This pattern is worked in two colors of cotton yarn to make it lightweight yet durable. #petalstopicots

, ,

21 Responses to Summer Crochet Bag Pattern – Easy Summer Tote

1. Stephanie Powell June 1, 2015 at 3:49 pm #

Can this pattern be printed?

• Stephanie Powell June 1, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Its a lovely bag, and can be used all year round

• Ginger June 5, 2015 at 5:46 pm #

I just learned this recently myself… take the URL at the top of this page and paste it into the box on printfriendly.com to generate a printable page. 🙂

• Ruth August 3, 2015 at 9:06 pm #

What a great tip! Thank you for sharing the printfriendly website!

2. Jane {SustainMyCraftHabit.com} June 2, 2015 at 11:37 am #

Such a great design and I really like the colors you chose! This is definitely something I will make for myself- thank you for sharing the pattern.

3. Alexandra June 2, 2015 at 10:29 pm #

What a beautiful bag! Thank you for sharing! Pinned 🙂

4. Alison McIntyre June 3, 2015 at 1:57 am #

Love, love, LOVE this bag!! Thanks for sharing the pattern – can’t wait to get going!! I’m going to enjoy finding nice yarn & making it 😀 xx

5. Sandy June 13, 2015 at 12:16 pm #

I made one and almost a second one. Love this pattern, so easy. I used Vanna’s sequins in Merlot and Sterling. By Lion Brand.

• Kara June 15, 2015 at 10:10 am #

Those colors sound so pretty! So glad you like the pattern 🙂

6. TheCrochetChef July 3, 2015 at 8:40 am #

This bag is gorgeous! What colors did you use? They are dreamy!

• TheCrochetChef July 3, 2015 at 8:41 am #

I found the colors….nevermind (had to keep reading)! :o)

7. Nicole July 20, 2015 at 10:30 am #

I’m wondering if someone can help me with the lining. I looked up online how to sew lining into a bag that was crocheted, and refreshed my memory but then got confused. There was mention of depth? Does this pattern need to account for the depth of the bag? And also I bought fabric that I think might be too stretchy. I’ve cut it out using pins and sewing chalk, ironed it the whole nine; and when I went to pin it inside my bag it’s gapping. Do I need to take it all apart with a seam ripper and start over?

• Christine August 18, 2015 at 7:58 pm #

Thank you much , for your reply, I am new at crocheting and patterns. I got it!

8. Christine August 17, 2015 at 9:56 pm #

How do you start this summer bag?

9. Tianna M August 18, 2015 at 9:51 pm #

Thank You for sharing I finished this bad and even without the liner its a great bag! I did it in navy and lilac.

• sharon hatt September 2, 2015 at 8:58 pm #

I wonder if anyone has thought of making this bag in holiday colors: Green bottom, red body, green band around the top & green handles. Red white and blue for July 4th. Autumn colors. And Easter pastels for spring.

10. Chelsea January 4, 2016 at 9:05 pm #

Does round 28 mean to sc in the top of every dc of the v stitch? Im feeling a little confused :/

• Kara January 5, 2016 at 7:38 pm #

Hi Chelsea 🙂 Yes, 1 single crochet in every double crochet around.

11. Lisa May 8, 2017 at 4:30 pm #

I finished the bag too. It turned out amazing. I love it. However, it has been sitting in my crochet basket for a year now waiting for me to put the lining in. Anyone have a tutorial on how to best line a bag?

12. Grace September 9, 2017 at 7:01 am #

Help! Doing the strap now and I get holes on each row at alternating sides because of the space between the initial chain2 and the hdc following it. Any tips on how to prevent this?

• Kara September 13, 2017 at 7:38 pm #

Hi Grace 🙂 You can try this trick and see if it helps … instead of chaining 2, chain 1 and then work your first hdc right in that first stitch. Hope that helps!