Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

The next in our series of 4 Quick and Easy Crochet Dishcloth Patterns is this Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern. This dishcloth pattern makes for a refreshing change since it is worked from the center out. Add some splashes of color for a neat geometric design!

Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern | www.petalstopicots.com | #crochet #fiber

And we will zoom in for a closer look …

Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

• 3 colors worsted weight cotton yarn
  • H hook
  • tapestry needle, scissors

Add this pattern to your Ravelry library.

Available as a convenient, ad-free pdf download here.

Finished washcloth measures approximately 8 inches square.

With CA, make a magic ring (as an alternative to the magic ring, you can ch 4 and join with a slip stitch in furthest chain from hook to form a ring).

Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st here and throughout), work 8 sc in ring, join — 8 sts.

Round 2: Ch 1, work 3 sc in first st, 1 sc in next, *3 sc in next, 1 sc in next, rep from * twice more, join — 16 sts.

Round 3: Join CB, ch 1, work 1 sc in first sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, join — 24 sts.

Round 4: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 2 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, join — 32 sts.

Round 5: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 3 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, join — 40 sts.

Round 6: Join CC, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 4 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 9 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts, join — 48 sts.

Round 7: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 5 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 11 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 6 sts, join — 56 sts.

Round 8: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 6 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 13 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, join — 64 sts.

Round 9: Join CB, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 7 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 15 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 8 sts, join — 72 sts.

Round 10: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 8 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 17 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 9 sts, join — 80 sts.

Round 11: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 9 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 19 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 10 sts, join — 88 sts.

Round 12: Join CC, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 10 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 21 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 11 sts, join — 96 sts.

Round 13: Join CA, ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 11 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 23 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 12 sts, join — 104 sts.

Round 14: Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 12 sc, *3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 25 sts, rep from * twice more, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 13 sts, join — 112 sts.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Ready for another?! Try another dishcloth pattern from the series … shown below from front to back: Textured Dishcloth, Three Color Simple Stitch DishclothCrunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Seeing Squares Dishcloth (this post). Or  click here for more kitchen crochet patterns.

crochet dishcloth pattern

, ,

22 Responses to Seeing Squares Crochet Dishcloth Pattern

1. Dorothy July 23, 2013 at 6:56 am #

I love that textured dishcloth. I made myself a placemat that looks similar and I use it every day for breakfast. Nice way to start the day – its so cheerful. xoxox

2. Heather July 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Love these dishcloths! I’ve made the Crunchy and Textured and they turned out great…nice and easy too. Can’t wait to do Seeing Squares and Three-Color now! Thanks so much for sharing these patterns for free!

3. barbara woods July 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

What kind of yarn do you use? i buy at walmart and it get lintty when i wash my wash cloths and dish cloths

• Kara July 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

I used Knit Picks Simply Cotton Worsted and so far it washes beautifully. Unfortunately I bought it on clearance and I don’t think they have it anymore. I really love it too 🙁 But I have had good luck with Lion Brand’s Kitchen Cotton and Sugar ‘n Cream too. Hope that helps 🙂

4. Terri D. July 24, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

I happily discovered your site through Pinterest and I am so glad I did. I have enjoyed looking through the older posts and projects. I tried the Textured dishcloth yesterday and love the result. I can’t wait to try the other dishcloths as well. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Blessings to you.

• Kara July 24, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

I am so happy to hear that, Terri!! Welcome, welcome, welcome 🙂

5. Kadie July 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

They are all so pretty! I love each of them and can’t wait to try them out! I finished the Crunchy one now I need to find time to do the rest. 😉

6. Barbara Hagerty July 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

I found you through Pinterest also, and I’m so happy I did! How many stitches did you use for the magic ring for this dishcloth? Thanks for the wonderful pattern!

7. Megan July 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Wanted to let you know this project was highlighted on the at play blog today!

Megan

• Kara July 30, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks so much!

8. Astri July 29, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Oh I like this one two. I must make these….soon…thanks for the pattern again Kara. 🙂

9. Kyra August 1, 2014 at 3:29 am #

Thanks so much for your crochet dishcloth patterns – this is the second one I am making (I finished the textured dishcloth last night) – they are just lovely, a beautiful addition to my kitchen!

• Kara August 3, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying them!

10. Melissa September 22, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

He! I’m trying yo do the Seeing Squares. Starting in Round 3 you have (5) 3 sc groupings. I have a pentagon instead of a square. Can you help me with this?

• Kara September 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Melissa 🙂 You are correct, the repeats after the asterisk should only be done twice more instead of three more times. I updated the pattern accordingly. Thanks so much for letting me know!

11. Jennifer November 6, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Finished the textured one yesterday. Love it. Would you say for different sized projects that I could chain multiples of 2 + 1?

Also working on Seeing Squares. Had to turn & work in the other direction after several rounds. I’m a tight crocheter & projects like this tend to go slightly askew. But I do love the pattern.

• Kara November 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

So glad you are enjoying them! Yes, I do believe the 2+1 multiple would work for increasing the textured pattern 🙂

12. Kalene April 17, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

My seeing square ones end up not being as square as yours and have a round shape. I have pulled it out time and time again but still can’t seem to see what I am doing wrong. Any tips?

• Kara April 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

Hmmm … what shape is it coming out?

13. mick May 6, 2015 at 9:29 am #

My seeing squares ends up askew – I have also taken it out several times and can’t seem to get it . . . any ideas? I can send a pic somehow. I have done the others, though, with great success!

1. Tunisian Crochet Kitchen Mat Pattern - Petals to Picots - September 17, 2014

[…] left to right: Textured Dishcloth, Seeing Squares Dishcloth, Crunchy Stitch Dishcloth, and Three Color Simple Stitch […]