Tough Times Never Last …

… But Tough People Do.

I’ve been thinking about that saying a lot lately. I find it rolling around over and over in my head. I guess it is my subconscious trying to remind me that this too shall pass.

I have been going through a rough time lately and only now feel like I can breath enough to tell you about it. My husband came down with a very serious infection in his knee and tibia bone. He was in tremendous pain and it was very scary … operations, blood clots, blood transfusions, IV antibiotics. He was in the hospital for 12 days and then in a rehab center for another 33 days. He was finally well enough to come home last week. He still needs another month of IV antibiotics, which I was trained to give him through a PICC line, and he needs continued physical therapy to get him up and walking around on his own. But the pain has subsided, and we are beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

So, it has been a lot of worry and a lot of prayers and a lot of running around. And life will probably stay hectic until he is back on his feet. Needless to say, blogging has taken a backseat right now. I have been pulling a post together here and there from things that I had lined up. But I am missing linking up to my usual parties and haven’t gotten to visit my favorite blogs lately.

But I have actually been crocheting quite a bit through this all … it has been my way of coping and keeping my anxious mind at bay. I keep thinking of Kathryn Vercillo’s book Crochet Saved My Life and how she is really onto something there. When my hands are busy crocheting, my mind becomes quite and all the “what ifs” are banished for awhile.

Hopefully soon things will calm done enough for me to share some of the things I have been working on and to catch up with all of you, my bloggy friends :)

This Thanksgiving I have a lot to be thankful for!

28 Responses to Tough Times Never Last …

1. Anna November 20, 2012 at 9:57 am #

Hi Kara !
    I wish your husband gets well soon. Time, care and love will help. I’m sure it was rough on you…crochet helps I know that…perhaps it will help your husband too !!!
    Take the time you need, I’ll wait…
    Big hug for you !
    Anna
    Don’t look at my mistakes…

2. Pam November 20, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Kara, I hope life returns to normal soon, and that your husband has a speedy recovery.

3. Dorothy November 20, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Very best wishes for a quick recovery for your DH. xoxox

4. Preeti November 20, 2012 at 6:17 am #

Hi Kara, hope your husband gets well very soon. I can relate to pain caused by surgeries as I had undergone a major surgery last year which took me 8 months to recover and at some point of time you feel, its enough! No more medicines :(
    It is scary, but family has got to be strong to have the loved one recover soon without worrying about family.

5. Heather - The Good Life November 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Hi Kara, I hope your husband is on his feet soon. Take care and have a blessed Thanksgiving. Heather

6. AnaMB November 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Dear Kara,
    I am so sorry to hear about your husband’s problems. I can imagine how it reflects on you and your family. But, he will get better soon, and so will you.
    At times like that, it is very important to find something to keeps you sane; you have crocheting, some have sewing etc, that helps A LOT!
    Have a greatest Thanksgiving with your loved ones and best wishes to you all,
    Ana@carpe-diem

7. Kim Smyth November 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Kara, glad you’ve come through the worst of it. Hope your hubby gets to feeling better soon! I feel too guilty to crochet during the day, so I do it at night while watching tv. It helps me relieve stress as well, plus, I’m trying to make a little something for all the members of my family. Hope y’all have a very happy thanksgiving, sounds like you have much to be thankful for:)

8. Barbara November 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Hi Kara, all the best to your husband and you!

9. Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom November 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Wow, I am so sorry to hear you and your family have been going through this rough time. Prayers for a speedy recovery!
    ~Jamie

10. Kai November 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Kara, yours is the first blog I look at each day, and I am so sorry to learn all you’ve been going through! I’m hoping your husband is WELL on the way to complete recovery! Like all of us crocheting people, I DO find comfort in losing myself in a project! Thank you for all the tips, techniques, patterns, and kindness you show US. If you can think of ANYTHING I can do that would make you feel better, say the word and I’ll get busy doing it! REALLY! Big yarn-warmed hugs! Kai

11. Katie B November 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Best wishes to you and your husband!

12. a creative being November 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I hope your husband gets well soon; my thoughts are with your family! I was a part of the ‘Crochet Saved My Life’ book and I can’t recommend it enough. Crocheting really helps with anxiety when you’re struggling, so get those hooks out and start hooking! I’m sure life will turn back to normal soon :)
    xo,
    wink

13. Debi Y. November 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Hi Kara. I hope your husband continues to get well – I will say a prayer for him. :)

14. Terry November 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

So sorry that you and your family had to go through this tough time, but love the attitude that you wear. You are such a strong woman, Kara. I am so grateful to know you. Happy Thanksgiving my friend.

15. Kathryn Vercillo November 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I am so glad to hear that your family is coming through this tough time and that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Sending warm thoughts and Thanksgiving wishes!

16. Nancy Marino [email protected] November 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Kara, hope your husband is well soon, also. My husband has also been well. We made an emergency trip a couple of months ago to see my hospitalised brother in Mo., thinking I could get caught up on Christmas gifts I loaded the car with yarn, hooks and away we went. We didn’t get out of the next town over when it became apparent I would be doing the majority of the driving from Fl to Mo. So much for that! But, I count my blessings for everyday my dear one is with me no matter what. Hope you enjoy your holidays. We just never know which kiss is the one that has to last us the rest of our lives.

17. Brenda B. November 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Glad to hear that things are starting to look up for you and your family.. Sending thoughts and prayers for continued healing for your husband. Must have been a very scary time for all. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing all of your wonderful patterns, talent and creativity with all of us!

18. Megan November 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Kara, I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving and can find time to breathe a little. So sorry to hear about all the problems, and will continue to look forward to great posts from you…when you’re able!

19. Maggie B November 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Kara,

My husband experienced the same complications following his knee surgery in 2005. I always have chalked it up to being a husband of a nurse, me. Although I am a nurse I can tell you the feelings I was experiencing during that time are much the same you have written about. My husband recovered and is back to his same physical self. I trust your husband will recover under your attentive care with the help of the physical therapist. Please encourage him to stick with his therapy so many men give it up too soon and the knee is never the same.
    I have not read Kathryn Vercillo’s book Crochet Saved My Life but it is now on my to do list. Crocheting has seen me through an abusive childhood and a serious adult chronic illness
    I have always considered it my blessing to myself. Happy Thanksgiving!!
    P.S. I cannot wait for the owl pattern to be published!! He is sooo cute!! :-). Maggie

20. Rajeswari November 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Dear Kara, hope your husband recovers soon enough and here s praying fo him n you to continue your strength and love in what you are doing. Be brave for your family!

21. Janell November 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Hope he’s doing much better soon! We’ll be thinking of you over the holidays.

22. Karie {Girl Going Country} November 20, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Thank you for sharing this very personal part of your life. Wishing your husband continued recovery, and peace for you both. And so glad to see that crocheting brought some comfort through it all!

Happy Thanksgiving!

23. Sass - aka - Kathy November 20, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Hey Kara! You’re right – busy hands calm the mind and still the soul. So glad all is on the upswing for you and your hubby! My best to you both!

24. Zhenya and Nika Aksutin November 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Will pray for you! I read your blog and like it! With love from Russia, Nika
    Sorry my English

25. Sangeetha November 21, 2012 at 6:00 am #

Dear Kara, So sorry to know that you were going through a difficult time. But now that you have shared your pain I am sure you feel a little bit better. I have found that writing about it does help. Wishing your husband a full and speedy recovery. You have been a real pillar of strength. All the best to you too and keep crocheting. For me, crochet is the best anti depressant…:)
    Love and hugs.

26. linda November 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Sorry to hear your husband has been so poorly Kara but so glad things are improving for him. You are so right about crochet bringing comfort, I haven’t read that book yet but intend to. Have a wonderful thanksgiving xx

27. Ana BC November 22, 2012 at 2:16 am #

So sorry to hear that! But good to hear that things are improving. I pray for his speedy recovery and a mantle of grace for you. God bless!!!

28. Tani@Tagana Rose November 23, 2012 at 12:39 am #

Kara, so sorry to hear this- I hope your husband is back on his feet soon! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving day:)