Granny Square Purse Crochet Pattern

160 Flares Google+ 1 StumbleUpon 1 Pin It Share 132 Facebook 24 Twitter 2 160 Flares ×
Remember the granny square pattern I showed you at the beginning of Granny Month?

free granny square pattern

Well, my daughter fell in love with them and asked if I would make her something. So of course I did. Here is a pretty little purse that is so quick and easy to whip up …

free granny square purse pattern

Want to make your own? Here’s what I did…

Granny Square Purse Crochet Pattern

Make 2 granny squares from this pattern.
Side Piece
Ch 39.
Row 1: Work 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn – 37.
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as st), work 1 hdc in each st across – 37.
Fasten off.
Line up the corner of one of your granny squares with an edge of the side piece. Join by single crocheting pieces together, working through the back loops of the granny square only; the side piece should only fit along 3 sides of the granny square. Fasten off. Repeat with 2nd square, but do not fasten off. Edge around top of squares and sides by chaining 1 and single crocheting around.
Strap
Ch to desired length.
Row 1: Work 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as st), work 1 hdc in each st across.
Fasten off.
Using a tapestry needle, sew strap to the inside of your bag.
You can choose to line your bag with fabric or leave it as is. My daughter didn’t want it lined because she didn’t want to see the fabric through the squares. So, she came up with a neat trick … to keep things from poking through the bag, she puts her stuff in a ziploc bag first. Pretty clever, huh?
granny square purse
granny square purse

, ,

20 Responses to Granny Square Purse Crochet Pattern

1. Pam August 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

That is such a sweet, little bag, Kara!!!!

2. Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects August 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Awww, I love it! :)

3. Debi Y. August 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

That’s a cute little bag. Your daughter had a great idea to use a ziplock bag for a liner. Have a good day. :)

• Boocoos August 23, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

4. Boocoos August 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Good to hear from you Terry! Miss blogging yet? Thank you for all you’ve don.

5. Winnie August 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Such a cute and colorful little bag!
    I LOVE it :)

6. Luna August 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Cute and beautiful. :0)

7. Rajeswari August 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

One clever girl she is i must say! Lovely cute bag :) Tempted to try one myself..

8. Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home August 25, 2012 at 3:10 am #

Cute! And it’s the perfect size for a little girl to use as a purse :o)

Thanks for linking up @ Keep Calm & Link Up my friend! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next week!

9. Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. August 25, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Super cute! I’m sure she loves it! Thank for linking up to the Pomp Party! Pinning!

10. Kadie August 30, 2012 at 3:33 am #

I don’t know how I missed this post! I LOVE the little purse a great way to use the granny squares! I am totally featuring this at the party tomorrow. Thanks for partying with me girlie!:)

11. MMABeats January 22, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

i have 2 cousins i am going to make these for :) I love the idea and it is simple and quick !

12. Kara May 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Hi Valerie, you are not silly at all!! That is totally my mistake and I am so glad you caught it!! I updated the pattern with the correct stitch counts. Thank you again so much for letting me know. I am sorry for the confusion :(

13. maxene May 6, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

cool but u should put a liner inside the bag

• Kara May 6, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

I completely agree, but my daughter didn’t want one for this. She insisted on using a plastic bag instead :)

14. Zola July 23, 2013 at 8:26 am #

Just found your web site a couple of days ago. The patterns are delightful. Can’t decide which one to do first, but I think I’ll start with this little purse for my granddaughter. Thank you for sharing the patterns.

15. Brenda July 26, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Such a great little purse! I would make the strap longer to make it a crossbody bag for myself. When I don’t feel like lugging my ‘everything’ bag around, this would be a nice ‘necessities’ (change purse, keys, cell phone, lipstick) bag to grab for a day out! I use ziplock baggies to gather my little things too (can’t live without them LOL), but a little fabric liner might be nice for it. :-)

16. Esther Carr August 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Hi Everyone,
    I fell in love with this granny square item. Maybe you could use these ideas I have:
    1. When I was in rehab after major surgery, I crocheted a small purse-like holder
    to wear around my neck for the monitoring tool they used. It was the hit of all
    the workers and individuals there.

2. I’ve been told by friends that people are slashing should bags and taking off
    with the purse or removing purses from shopping cars, back pockets. Well,
    why don’t we put this all t rest by making one of these little purses to wear
    around the neck with your credit card in it?

17. Laudiaann January 8, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

This is so cute and easy to make. going to make it!
    Laudiaann recently posted…Crochet Purse by DeezasCrochetMy Profile